[ggnfs] Re: Distributed sieving

  • Andrei Belenko
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2005
      Hi All!

      I think problem of distributed factoring is rather actual will become
      more actual as GGNFS grows into more and more stable software.

      Distributed sieving as it is implemented in GGNFS in my opinion has
      one drawback -- it is static. Number of machines should be
      predetermined and it is not trivial to add several machines to sieving
      process.

      My suggestion is to make it more like in NFSNET: client (siever)
      communicates with server via HTTP (or any other well-known transport) and
      requests assignments (lines or q-values). After sieving is done,
      client submits relations to server. As a result we have fully
      distributed sieving with centralized relations store. In this
      scenario it is no problem to add/remove machines to/from sieving
      job. However, server should track all assigned and submitted lines or
      q-values to be sure nothing is missed.

      Moreover, it may be even possible to use original NFSNET client (which
      is AFAIK line siever) with this custom-written server. Source code for
      NFSNET client is not available, but its behaviour is predictable and
      all communications are perfomed via HTTP-based transport, so it seems
      quite possible to determine input and output format of client and
      convert siever report into GGNFS format ( similar task was done when
      integating Franke's lattice siever which now is integral part of
      GGNFS).
      However, I'm not sure if such reusing will be legal :(

      Any thoughts/comments?

      --
      WBR,
      Andrei Belenko