Pause polynomial selection with msieve?

  • nessalc
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 11, 2012
      I've poured a good 450 hours into polynomial selection for a C162, and don't want that work to go to waste, but I've some other more pertinent things I'd like to do with the computer it's running on. Last time I used Ctrl+C with this step, it stopped the process and I had nothing, not even some intermediate results written to a file.

      The other steps have a way to pause, why not this one?

      Also, when the selection process started, it put a time limit of 300 hours on this step, and I'm well beyond that. What's the deal?

      Thanks,

      James
    • Jeff Gilchrist
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 12, 2012
        On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 7:13 PM, nessalc <nessalc@...> wrote:

        > I've poured a good 450 hours into polynomial selection for a C162, and don't
        > want that work to go to waste, but I've some other more pertinent things I'd
        > like to do with the computer it's running on. Last time I used Ctrl+C with
        > this step, it stopped the process and I had nothing, not even some
        > intermediate results written to a file.

        Really no intermediate files at all? There has been a lot of work and
        improvements to msieve which can do an excellent job of polynomial
        selection using with a CPU or GPU and it does write intermediate
        files.

        If you are using Windows, you can use something like Process Explorer
        (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653) to pause
        the process and then restart it again when you are finished doing your
        other tasks. You could also set the priority of the process to idle
        priority (using the same tool) and just let it continue to run in the
        background where it will only use IDLE cpu time and give up the cpu to
        do whatever else you are running.

        Jeff.
      • Bob Backstrom
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 13, 2012
          --- In ggnfs@yahoogroups.com, "nessalc" <nessalc@...> wrote:

          > I've poured a good 450 hours into polynomial selection for a C162,
          > and don't want that work to go to waste, but I've some other more
          > pertinent things I'd like to do with the computer it's running on.
          > Last time I used Ctrl+C with this step, it stopped the process and
          > I had nothing, not even some intermediate results written to a file.

          If you just want to pause the CPU so you can use it in another Window, hit Cntrl/S then Cntrl/Q to continue -- the task will wait for screen output between those two key strokes. Do NOT hit Cntrl/C.

          Or start another DOS Window and list any files produced by just using the "type" command. A "dir" list will see if there are any bytes in the files.

          Good luck,
          --Bob.

          Or as Jeff suggested, lower the priority of the poly-select-prog.