recommendation for nvidia cuda model?

  • dougtelford_98
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2011
      hello,

      I am considering purchasing a quadro 600 (96 cores, 1 GB memory). Do you think this is adequate for polynomial selection, or what would you recommend?

      Regards,
      Doug
    • Jason Papadopoulos
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2011
        > I am considering purchasing a quadro 600 (96 cores, 1 GB memory). Do you
        > think this is adequate for polynomial selection, or what would you
        > recommend?

        Polynomial selection using msieve is completely CPU bound, the memory use
        is very modest. A card of this type is fairly low-powered, and the latest
        msieve does poly selection on CPUs much better than it used to. I think
        you'd need a much more powerful card to get significantly higher performance
        than just using a multi-core CPU. Of course, the more powerful card is going
        to burn much more than 40 Watts :)

        jasonp