NFSX vs ggnfs

  • chris2be8
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2009
      Having managed to get ggnfs compiled I compared it's speed with NFSX (ubasic/assembler NFS implementation written by Yuji Kida).

      Test case 10^151+1 with small factors removed by ECM.
      m: 10^30
      c5: 10
      c0:1
      skew:1

      Elapsed time for NFSX: nearly 5 days.
      Elapsed time for ggnfs: 13 hours 35 minutes. (Running factLat.pl, I'd not got msieve working when I did this test.)

      Note this wasn't on the same CPU, NFSX was running under freedos on a 3Ghz box, ggnfs under openSUSE 10.3 on a 3.06 GHz box.

      Other benefits are that factMsieve.pl can exploit multiple CPUs and ggnfs isn't restricted to degree 3 or 5 equations.

      Chris (Very pleased with ggnfs)