Re: [ggnfs] How do I factorize a 154-digit number?

  • Jason Papadopoulos
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2008
      Quoting chuacw_scea <chuacw@...>:

      > I have a 154-digit number that I need factorized. I tried running
      > msieve on it, but it ran for 300+ hours without any solution (I had to
      > restart it because the power supply was cut off).
      >
      > I wanted to use GGNFS, but I have no idea how to do it, because I have
      > no idea about all those terms that are used in all the applications
      > provided by the GGNFS package. I'm running Windows.
      >
      > Can anyone advise how I should go about factorizing the number please?

      Start with a smaller number to get used to using the package. You
      will need perl to run the fire-and-forget perl script, but tackling a
      C154 is not something you'll be able to do right away. Even if you
      know what you're doing, using GGNFS for a big job like that will still
      take about a month if you have 10-20 computers to sieve with. With
      the quadratic sieve it's pretty much impossible.

      You do not learn to climb mountains by starting with K2.

      jasonp

      This message was sent using BOO.net's Webmail.
      http://www.boo.net/