GNFS for short numbers

  • jordisolisc
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2008
      Hi,

      I am using Jason's implementation (msieve) modified to use GNFS with
      short numbers (<20 digits, knowing that it's inefficient for these
      cases). When I execute it, I get errors looking for the polynomial.
      Why it happens? Which are the key points to solve these problems in
      this implementation?

      Thanks and regards.

      JSC
    • Jason Papadopoulos
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 9, 2008
        > I am using Jason's implementation (msieve) modified to use GNFS with
        > short numbers (<20 digits, knowing that it's inefficient for these
        > cases). When I execute it, I get errors looking for the polynomial.
        > Why it happens? Which are the key points to solve these problems in
        > this implementation?

        msieve only chooses degree 5 polynomials, and so many things would
        have to change in order to accomodate very small inputs that it's not
        worth the effort. You may want to consider using PGNFS, which only
        ever uses degree 3 polynomials, or the polyselect tool in GGNFS,
        which may be able to construct a degree-3 polynomial. The other stages
        may be able to work with less trouble, but the entire library has assumed
        from the beginning that GNFS inputs would be large.

        jasonp

        This message was sent using BOO.net's Webmail.
        http://www.boo.net/