Matsave

  • Sander Hoogendoorn
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 3, 2006
      Hi,

      Can somebody do me a favor and send me a P4 Win32 binary of the latest
      version of matsave?

      I'm really in need for the autosave function. It's hard to complete a 2
      week matsave run on a server which is rebooted by others every now and then.

      Regards,
      Sander
    • Geoffrey Reynolds
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 11, 2006
        I hope you got a working binary OK.

        If memory is very tight then it may be best to use quite a long period
        between saves, 8 hours or more. The save file is quite large and if
        there is not enough available memory for file buffers then time is
        wasted during the save. (If there is plenty of memory available for
        buffers then the save should effectively be done as background I/O and
        no time wsted).

        Geoff.

        --- Sander Hoogendoorn <sander@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Can somebody do me a favor and send me a P4 Win32 binary of the
        > latest
        > version of matsave?
        >
        > I'm really in need for the autosave function. It's hard to complete a
        > 2
        > week matsave run on a server which is rebooted by others every now
        > and then.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Sander

      • j_m_berg
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 12, 2006
          It doesn't matter if an operation is done is background, foreground or
          middleground. A CPU operation takes X time, which is taken away from
          computing operation cycles.

          The only thing the extra memory will do is to keep user operations from
          appearing to drag (slow down).

          --- In ggnfs@yahoogroups.com, Geoffrey Reynolds <g_w_reynolds@...>
          wrote:

          > I hope you got a working binary OK.
          >
          > If memory is very tight then it may be best to use quite a long period
          > between saves, 8 hours or more. The save file is quite large and if
          > there is not enough available memory for file buffers then time is
          > wasted during the save. (If there is plenty of memory available for
          > buffers then the save should effectively be done as background I/O and
          > no time wsted).
          >
          > Geoff.
        • Sander Hoogendoorn
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 12, 2006
            wrote:

            > I hope you got a working binary OK.
            >
            > If memory is very tight then it may be best to use quite a long period
            > between saves, 8 hours or more.

            Plenty of RAM. 12GB :-), but saving a couple of times a day is ok, as
            long as i don't loose over a week of work.

            I did get a binary but didn't get to test it. The Matrix finally
            finished after 1.1M seconds

            But i'm not there yet, the sqrt is doing it's 17th dependency at the moment.
            Number 16 finished minutes ago with:

            Zalpha: square root mod p failed. Trying again...
            Zalpha: square root mod p failed. Trying again...
            Zalpha: square root mod p failed. Trying again...
            *** Some serious error occurred computing remaining square root.
            *** This run will most likely fail!

            So did number 15 and probably all others before that too. :-(

            I guess GGNFS is not really up to a c143

            Any help is appreciated.

            Sander
          • Geoffrey Reynolds
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 16, 2006
              The save file is created by writing a block of memory that matsolve is
              continually updating. The matsolve process can't update that memory
              until it has first been either copied to buffers, or written to file.

              If there is not enough memory to write the whole block to buffers then
              either the system creates space for buffers by swapping out pages from
              the matsolve process, or blocks the matsolve process while the file is
              written unbuffered. Either way, matsolve spends time waiting for I/O to
              complete.