Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Fatal error

Expand Messages
  • IgorSchein
    ... No, I ve only been using 1 machine for sieving. What did happen however is that I ran out of disk quota, so file rels.bin.0 may be corrupted. In fact,
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2006
    • 0 Attachment
      --- In ggnfs@yahoogroups.com, "stankler967" <ggnfs@i...> wrote:
      >
      > Have you used parallel sieving on some independent computers? I think,
      > you have two relations 'glued' into one... You can try to find and
      > erase manually the longest string in the sieve.out file...
      >
      > Or you can change
      > #define MAX_SP_FACTORS 70
      > to
      > #define MAX_SP_FACTORS 95
      >
      > in include/ggnfs.h file...
      >

      No, I've only been using 1 machine for sieving. What did happen
      however is that I ran out of disk quota, so file rels.bin.0 may be
      corrupted. In fact, after bumping MAX_SP_FACTORS to 95 and
      recompiling, I am getting this now:

      Dumping 493715 relations from rels.bin.0...
      Return value 11. Terminating...

      Is there a way to salvage the situation and not start sieving from the
      beginning?

      Thanks

      Igor
    • dleclair55
      Hi, ... Assuming you have several rels.bin.X files, you should be able to retrieve the relations from the other bin files simply by renaming rels.bin.0 to
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2006
      • 0 Attachment
        Hi,

        > Dumping 493715 relations from rels.bin.0...
        > Return value 11. Terminating...
        >
        > Is there a way to salvage the situation and not
        > start sieving from the beginning?

        Assuming you have several rels.bin.X files, you should be able to
        retrieve the relations from the other bin files simply by renaming
        rels.bin.0 to rels.bin.bak and then renaming the last of the
        rels.bin.X files to rels.bin.0.

        Then try dumping the relations again.

        In my case several of the rels.bin files were corrupted.

        There's probably a way to salvage the corrupted files if you are armed
        with a binary editor and an understanding of the file format.

        -Don Leclair




        There's probably a way to salvage the corru


        --- In ggnfs@yahoogroups.com, "IgorSchein" <igor@t...> wrote:
        >
        > --- In ggnfs@yahoogroups.com, "stankler967" <ggnfs@i...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Have you used parallel sieving on some independent computers? I think,
        > > you have two relations 'glued' into one... You can try to find and
        > > erase manually the longest string in the sieve.out file...
        > >
        > > Or you can change
        > > #define MAX_SP_FACTORS 70
        > > to
        > > #define MAX_SP_FACTORS 95
        > >
        > > in include/ggnfs.h file...
        > >
        >
        > No, I've only been using 1 machine for sieving. What did happen
        > however is that I ran out of disk quota, so file rels.bin.0 may be
        > corrupted. In fact, after bumping MAX_SP_FACTORS to 95 and
        > recompiling, I am getting this now:
        >
        > Dumping 493715 relations from rels.bin.0...
        > Return value 11. Terminating...
        >
        > Is there a way to salvage the situation and not start sieving from the
        > beginning?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Igor
        >
      • IgorSchein
        ... Same here. Your workaround worked. I lost about 40% of relations, but at least I was able to avoid starting from the scratch. Thanks Igor
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2006
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In ggnfs@yahoogroups.com, "dleclair55" <dleclair55@y...> wrote:
          >
          >
          > Hi,
          >
          > > Dumping 493715 relations from rels.bin.0...
          > > Return value 11. Terminating...
          > >
          > > Is there a way to salvage the situation and not
          > > start sieving from the beginning?
          >
          > Assuming you have several rels.bin.X files, you should be able to
          > retrieve the relations from the other bin files simply by renaming
          > rels.bin.0 to rels.bin.bak and then renaming the last of the
          > rels.bin.X files to rels.bin.0.
          >
          > Then try dumping the relations again.
          >
          > In my case several of the rels.bin files were corrupted.

          Same here. Your workaround worked. I lost about 40% of relations,
          but at least I was able to avoid starting from the scratch.

          Thanks

          Igor
        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.