Re: [gfsuav] A kind of power supply

  • Lee Anderson
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2008

      Hi Jorge,

      I can only think it must be a lithium ion or li-po with a large mAh. I've been having the same problem trying to find a suitable lightweight battery to handle the discharge required for a larger motor,

      The carbon fibre idea sounds good - do you have any pictures of the design?

      regards

      Lee

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008
        Can we have a video of your current craft flying? It looks almost
        identical to mine (trikovich : youtube) so i am interested to learn any
        info you might have about learning to fly and how easy it is to control.

        An article by CNN or the telegraph (UK) says they use multiple Li-Po
        packs for the GFS Projects Ltd. craft.

        quote from 'Eureka' article;

        'A 2kW brushless motor, using power supplied by seven 2200mAh 7.4V
        lithium polymer batteries – providing a maximum theoretical endurance
        of just over three minutes – powered the model. Maximum payload is
        about 0.5 kg.'

        I've no idea how you would connect them up like this!?

        Regards

        Anthony
      • Jorge BD
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008

          Thanks lee,

          I made a detachable (with very few little screws) carbon-fiber GFS-UAV.

          But it's not finished yet.
          Of course, I will post any picture as soon as I can.

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008
            Just make sure if you use the Li-polymer battery -- it can have cells
            die if the charge gets too low and they are too expensive to ruin –
            Forget what power supply we used but they tried it with a fixed power
            supply for testing (I'll try to dig it up and see ratings). Had
            students build three GFS craft – 3mm foam, then too much glue – guess
            they thought the glue didn't weigh anything – first group used about
            400 grams of glue (but it was very sturdy!!). Found you only needed
            two sets of yaw servos if you slightly adjust the fixed yaw `fins' so
            you can cut weight of two servos if you want to lighten a few grams.
            First two were excellent hovercraft but they never solved flipping
            over at high power until later.