bbc and sky

  • Sprengel@t-online.de
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1 7:39 AM
      Dear Dennis

      As far as I know, there are 2 ways of listening or viewing.

      1.Get online and go to:
      www.bbc.co.uk

      you can listen to the BBC world service, but you do have to stay online.
      While writing this, I am listening to Haendel on classic fm:
      www.classicfm.com

      There are lots of other radio stations online, but you need RealPlayer.

      2. A friend of mine in London registered with Sky (pay) TV and received a
      Sky viewing card which she then gave me.
      I bought a "SKY compatible"digibox in London, took it back, set it up and
      connected it to a satellite dish and stuck the card in. Well to be honest,
      I did have the local "Radio Mensch" to do that bit. I send money to my
      friend every year for the subscription and have hundreds of TV and radio
      channels, including BBC and ITV to chose from. Just about the best
      investment I have ever made: even Dad's Army is better than some of the
      stuff of German TV.

      This procedure is in a grey zone of legality, but Sky is certainly not going
      to turn business away. I just walked into Dixons, and they knew all about
      the issue as thousands of expats do it - especially all those grey panthers
      who retired to Spain and Portugal. I can't quote prices here as Sky offers
      all sorts of different packages. I have had this set up for many years and
      it helped me not to forget my English and to keep our son bilingual (his Dad
      is German): each time he asked if he could watch TV, I said "yes, as long as
      it's in English."

      I first tried with a pirate provider, but that was a hassle as Sky kept on
      changing the frequency, I had to keep getting a new card, the pirate asked
      for more and more money and, one day, just disappeared as pirates do. So,
      not to be recommended.

      I have hooked my TV to my VCR and to my HiFi. This way I can record TV
      programmes on video, and radio programmes on audio cassettes for training
      purposes. Great for listening comp. etc. I also like to record 5 mins of
      British news and then 5 mins of CNN for my Business clients. Commercials
      are quite popular too, as long as the language level is not too high or
      idiomatic.
      www.sky.com
      www.sky.co.uk

      Happy viewing