Hello

  • Dennis Berger
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 4, 2006
      Another new member here, Dennis Berger from Texas. I have been working
      on my family history off and on for a while and keep hitting a brick
      wall concerning my gggrandfather, Josef Berger, who immigrated through
      Galveston around 1871. My main problem is finding passenger manifests
      that list him, or his eventual wife, Rosina Brosch.
      Thought that maybe someone in this group might have a suggestion.

      Dennis
    • MFind44923@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 6, 2006
        If you live near Houston, Texas, the Clayton Library on Caroline has
        microfilm copies of the ship lists. Do you know for sure that he came into
        Galveston? One of my ancestors came to Texas via New Orleans and another has not been
        proven as to his place of arrival. I think it might be a town on the coast
        that has been virtually wiped off the map several times from storms. Good luck.
        Martha

      • Dennis Berger
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 6, 2006
          I live in Lubbock, so that is kind of difficult. I'll try to get down
          there eventually. Is the town you are talking about Indianola?

        • MFind44923@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 6, 2006
            Indianola is the right name. I have been down there, just a few fishing
            houses, an eating place or two with a lot of concrete foundations also the
            cemetery. I haven't been to Clayton to do much research, or I would offer to look
            on the records. Do you have access to Ancestry.com or Roots Web? I think they
            might have ship lists on one of those. Good luck.
            Martha