VOLLAND

  • holydragonfly
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 13 2:26 PM
      I am looking for VOLLAND in Michigan. Hermmand Volland was born in
      Hesse-Kassel abt. 1809 and was recorded as living in Michigan in
      1860. I do not know when or where this family came to the U.S. I
      do know that over the years, Hermmand also went by Hammond and
      Herman. I am at a dead end with this line. If anyone has any
      VOLLAND's or knows of a good German records site, I would appreciate
      it very much. Thank you.
    • Ralf Doersam
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 13 3:51 PM
        > I am looking for VOLLAND in Michigan. Hermmand Volland was born in
        > Hesse-Kassel abt. 1809 and was recorded as living in Michigan in
        > 1860. I do not know when or where this family came to the U.S. I
        > do know that over the years, Hermmand also went by Hammond and
        > Herman. I am at a dead end with this line. If anyone has any
        > VOLLAND's or knows of a good German records site, I would appreciate
        > it very much. Thank you.

        Good eveing Mr. or Mrs holydragonfly,

        in case you don't know yet his and his wife Margret's ecact birthday:
        http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=karms&id=I1000

        Yes, next (but most difficult) step will be to find out the place,
        there are (too) much Volland families in too many Germany villages
        and towns, even in Hessen, to determine the village/town, for example
        by online phonebook www.telefonbuch.de .

        It could be an idea to try and ask at
        http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=board&r=rw&p=surnames.volland
        and/or Foland-list, for example concerning message
        http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/FOLAND/2002-06/1023544611

        Good luck,
        Ralf
        http://home.arcor.de/andorama/orte.htm#hesse
      • holydragonfly
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 14 6:05 AM
          Ralf,
          The VOLLAND family tree at Rootsweb was posted by my cousin's
          husband with information that came from me so I do have the birth
          dates of who I am looking for. I am not sure where they were
          married. I searched the Michigan records and came up empty so I am
          guessing they were married in Germany. As I had posted, Herman was
          from Hesse-Kassel. His wife, Margaret (no surname known) was from
          Nassau. Their sons are Herman, George and John, all born in
          Michigan. I need information on this family before 1860. I am
          still searching for when and where they came to the U.S.

          Thank you for your reply,

          Donneen

          --- In germanroots@yahoogroups.com, "Ralf Doersam" <andorama@g...>
          wrote:
          > > I am looking for VOLLAND in Michigan. Hermmand Volland was born
          in
          > > Hesse-Kassel abt. 1809 and was recorded as living in Michigan in
          > > 1860. I do not know when or where this family came to the U.S.
          > > do know that over the years, Hermmand also went by Hammond and
          > > Herman. I am at a dead end with this line. If anyone has any
          > > VOLLAND's or knows of a good German records site, I would
          appreciate
          > > it very much. Thank you.
          >
          > Good eveing Mr. or Mrs holydragonfly,
          >
          > in case you don't know yet his and his wife Margret's ecact
          birthday:
          > http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?
          op=GET&db=karms&id=I1000

          > Yes, next (but most difficult) step will be to find out the place,
          > there are (too) much Volland families in too many Germany villages
          > and towns, even in Hessen, to determine the village/town, for
          example
          > by online phonebook www.telefonbuch.de .
          >
          > It could be an idea to try and ask at
          > http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=board&r=rw&p=surnames.volland
          > and/or Foland-list, for example concerning message
          > http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/FOLAND/2002-06/1023544611
          >
          > Good luck,
          > Ralf
          > http://home.arcor.de/andorama/orte.htm#hesse
          > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        • flagbearer
          Message 4 of 9 , May 26, 2005
            --- In germanroots@yahoogroups.com, "holydragonfly"
            <holydragonfly@y...> wrote:

            > I am looking for VOLLAND in Michigan. Hermmand Volland was born in
            > Hesse-Kassel abt. 1809 and was recorded as living in Michigan in
            > 1860. I do not know when or where this family came to the U.S. I
            > do know that over the years, Hermmand also went by Hammond and
            > Herman. I am at a dead end with this line. If anyone has any
            > VOLLAND's or knows of a good German records site, I would appreciate
            > it very much. Thank you.

            Hello holydragonfly,

            Are you physically in Michigan to search? I know the Michigan State
            Library in Lansing has a fantastic genealogy section. There are also
            passenger list indexes published that you can use to cross-reference
            the name to ships and dates. That is how I found when and where my
            German HILDINGER's came to the U.S.A. The biggest problem is the
            commonality of given and surnames. So many people were named the same
            you really have to be patient and check a lot of names before you get
            the right one sometimes. Good luck!
            Flagbearer
          • dp
            Message 5 of 9 , May 26, 2005
              Yes, I am in the Lansing area. I have not been to the library in many years. All the info I have found was through Ancestry of which I have a membership. I have went back as far as 1850 Michigan with this line. I simply cannot locate any records of them outside Michigan and locating German records is next to impossible on the net. I may have to resort to writing letters and sending them to Germany. However, even though I know they came from Kassel, I have no idea what parish/church they may have been a member of. (I was told that church records would be my best bet). Thank you for the advice. I should make a trip to the library someday soon.

              Holydragonfly

              Message 6 of 9 , May 26, 2005
                You might also want to check the county records for wills and such.
                Sometimes there is mention of other family members that might prove
                easier to track. I have not had an opportunity to check out any of
                the Germany Genealogy sites, but do have a list of them and they are
                similar to what we have here. If someone there has the time and is in
                the right place they may be able to do some looking for you.
                I will be going to Germany in June to visit with my German
                cousins(9th) that I found through research (and luck - they contacted
                my family) and what you said about church records is very true. That
                is what I was told also. I will get some advice as to where to start
                and see if I can find a list of resources for you.
                Give me more specific details, please. You can email me directly if
                you want with that.

                Flagbearer

                PS. Definitely check out the passenger ship indexes at the State
                Library. I found my gggrandfather there and the date and ship he came
                to the US on and where it sailed from. That helped a lot because then
                I knew where to look for emigration records in Germany. [That is when
                I lucked out and the cousin had researched the family up until then
                left Germany.]

                --- In germanroots@yahoogroups.com, dp <holydragonfly@y...> wrote:
                > Yes, I am in the Lansing area. I have not been to the library in
                many years. All the info I have found was through Ancestry of which I
                have a membership. I have went back as far as 1850 Michigan with this
                line. I simply cannot locate any records of them outside Michigan and
                locating German records is next to impossible on the net. I may have
                to resort to writing letters and sending them to Germany. However,
                even though I know they came from Kassel, I have no idea what
                parish/church they may have been a member of. (I was told that church
                records would be my best bet). Thank you for the advice. I should
                make a trip to the library someday soon.

                > Holydragonfly
                >
                > flagbearer <flagbearer@y...> wrote:
                > --- In germanroots@yahoogroups.com, "holydragonfly"
                > <holydragonfly@y...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I am looking for VOLLAND in Michigan. Hermmand Volland was born in
                > > Hesse-Kassel abt. 1809 and was recorded as living in Michigan in
                > > 1860. I do not know when or where this family came to the U.S. I
                > > do know that over the years, Hermmand also went by Hammond and
                > > Herman. I am at a dead end with this line. If anyone has any
                > > VOLLAND's or knows of a good German records site, I would appreciate
                > > it very much. Thank you.
                >

                > Hello holydragonfly,
                >
                > Are you physically in Michigan to search? I know the Michigan State
                > Library in Lansing has a fantastic genealogy section. There are also
                > passenger list indexes published that you can use to cross-reference
                > the name to ships and dates. That is how I found when and where my
                > German HILDINGER's came to the U.S.A. The biggest problem is the
                > commonality of given and surnames. So many people were named the same
                > you really have to be patient and check a lot of names before you get
                > the right one sometimes. Good luck!
                > Flagbearer

              • lschaitberger
                Message 7 of 9 , May 26, 2005
                  Hello holydragonfly.Researching in Germany isn't as difficult as it
                  seems.On a section of the LDS site,Family search.org(free),there is
                  a good section on writing letters to Germany,and they even give you
                  samples in German you can copy.They have a great search for
                  ancestors section,too.It also makes it easier if you know the
                  ancestors' religion.The major churches there have big archives and
                  are well organized,but expensive.Sometimes you hit paydirt by simply
                  typing in the family name and place they were from,then going
                  through page by page.You might find other Vollands,for instance,with
                  a family site all done,and it may contain your ancestors.Good luck!

                  --- In germanroots@yahoogroups.com, dp <holydragonfly@y...> wrote:
                  > Yes, I am in the Lansing area. I have not been to the library in
                  many years. All the info I have found was through Ancestry of which
                  I have a membership. I have went back as far as 1850 Michigan with
                  this line. I simply cannot locate any records of them outside
                  Michigan and locating German records is next to impossible on the
                  net. I may have to resort to writing letters and sending them to
                  Germany. However, even though I know they came from Kassel, I have
                  no idea what parish/church they may have been a member of. (I was
                  told that church records would be my best bet). Thank you for the
                  advice. I should make a trip to the library someday soon.

                  > Holydragonfly
                  >
                  > flagbearer <flagbearer@y...> wrote:
                  > --- In germanroots@yahoogroups.com, "holydragonfly"
                  > <holydragonfly@y...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I am looking for VOLLAND in Michigan. Hermmand Volland was born
                  in
                  > > Hesse-Kassel abt. 1809 and was recorded as living in Michigan in
                  > > 1860. I do not know when or where this family came to the U.S.
                  > > do know that over the years, Hermmand also went by Hammond and
                  > > Herman. I am at a dead end with this line. If anyone has any
                  > > VOLLAND's or knows of a good German records site, I would
                  appreciate
                  > > it very much. Thank you.
                  >

                  > Hello holydragonfly,
                  >
                  > Are you physically in Michigan to search? I know the Michigan
                  State
                  > Library in Lansing has a fantastic genealogy section. There are
                  also
                  > passenger list indexes published that you can use to cross-
                  reference
                  > the name to ships and dates. That is how I found when and where my
                  > German HILDINGER's came to the U.S.A. The biggest problem is the
                  > commonality of given and surnames. So many people were named the
                  same
                  > you really have to be patient and check a lot of names before you
                  get
                  > the right one sometimes. Good luck!
                  > Flagbearer

                  Service.

                • dp
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 27, 2005
                    Will the state library have more information on the immigration ships than I can find online (The Ships List, Ancestry, etc..)? I have search the afore mentioned sites as well as several others to no avail. Here is all the information I have on this family:

                    Hammond VOLLAND b. Dec. 1, 1808 in Kassel, Hesse. d. Sept. 19, 1892 in Michigan. Buried in the Oak Grove Cemetery in Manchester, Washtenaw Co., Michigan.
                    Married Margaret (b. April 15, 1823 in Nassau. d. July 22, 1907 in Michigan and also buried in the Oak Grove Cemetery).

                    Sons: Hammond VOLLAND Jr. b. October 1843 in Germany
                    George VOLLAND b. 1844 in Germany
                    John VOLLAND b. Jan. 1852 in Michigan

                    Hammond Sr. also spelled his first name Harmond, Hermann, Herman and Hermmand.
                    Hammond Jr. also spelled his first name Herman.

                    Judging from the birth year of the last two sons born, I assume they came to the U.S. between 1844 - 1852. I simply cannot find the ship, dates or ports regarding them and this has me very frustrated.

                    I would be very interested in any resources you can share. It would be very much appreciated.

                    Thank you,

                  • dp
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 27, 2005
                      Thanks for the tip. I am going to look at the LDS site again. I have used them several times in the past but even they do not have much on this line. I do not know what church they belonged too nor do I know the exact area they lived in. I only know Kassel from the census records. I had heard once that the LDS was not allowed to copy the records in Germany. I do not know how true that is, but I wish someone had access to make them available online.

                      lschaitberger <lschaitberger@...> wrote: Hello holydragonfly.Researching in Germany isn't as difficult as it

                      Service.