Translation Request -- 1872 Newspaper Article Re. Johann Strauss

  • chrisgnowak <cnowak@optonline.net>
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 26, 2002
      Would anyone be interested in translating a German newspaper article
      for me? (I can send the file to you separately; I haven't found out
      yet how to post a file to the group.) It's a front page article
      from Frank Leslie's Illustrirte Zeitung, one of the leading German-
      American illustrated newspapers from the nineteenth century. This
      article (and illustration) documents the celebration at Busch's Hotel
      in Hoboken, NJ, of the arrival of Johann Strauss in 1872. I live in
      this former hotel building, and I'm researching the history of the
      building and its founder, Herman Busch. My intention is to include
      any relevant information in our application to the National Register
      of Historic Places. I'll note the source of the translation in the
      written record of the building and in our application, so your
      assistance will be helping to advance the cause of historic
      preservation in Hoboken! Thanks!
    • carla
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 26, 2002
        You can go to this web site to translate the article yourself
        http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr

        I do not know German myself so I am not sure how accurate the translation is but if you don't get any offers, it might be worth a try.

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 26, 2002
          The only problem with that is that it translates word for word, and sometimes doesn't know a word. But for getting the idea of what it says it can be handy.

          kerrin

          carla <carla@...> wrote:You can go to this web site to translate the article yourself
[...]

          http://www.geocities.com/kindness_random/index.html

          Random Acts of Kindness.

          http://www.geocities.com/kerrins_giraffe

          ADHD A Vision For Kids updated 11/20/2002

          http://www.geocities.com/kerrins_giraffe2/index.html

          An Adhd Giraffe Rambles