Re: [germanroots] Researching German Records

  • LALDERSON@nc.rr.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 10, 2009
      Hi, Bob,
      I, too, am new to the list, but I thought I'd pass along our success
      in researching the old German civil registers at the Family History
      Center (Mormon). It seems that Napoleon ordered registers to be kept,
      and our ancestors were all there. There are birth, marriage, and death
      registers. (One has to learn to read the old German script
      handwriting, but after a few hours, it becomes reasonably easy & there
      are good helps on the web. )

      The microfilms are available at familysearch.org, select the library
      catalog, and put in the town or duchy. Then you will have to go
      through the listings to find which microfilm covers the correct years.
      (There's some guessing involved, as sometimes the listing doesn't
      quite tell you what you need to know, but we queried the Mormon family
      history folks in Utah and they let us know which reels to get.)

      From there, it is just mainly having a lot of patience. The folks at
      the Family History Centers are helpful, but be prepared to share one
      copy machine with all the patrons, and know that most of them order
      film only on one day and it arrives at least two weeks later, and they
      may be open for very limited hours each week. That said, it's an
      extraordinary resource and well worth the extra effort and following
      of their rules. As I said, patience.

      Happy hunting, everyone.

      Laura in North Carolina
      Researching: