Does anyone recognize this SCHMITT/SCHMIDT/ SCHMITZ/ SMITH family?

  • Amber
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2009
      I have been looking for info/ decendents of my SCHMIDT/ SCHMITT/SMITH family non-stop for weeks. I'm looking for Theodor(e)SCHMIDT/SCHMITT/SMITH (b. abt 1809, d. Mar 16, 1860), his wife Anna Maria (b. abt 1819, d. Jan 5, 1885-1900), their children, Julia (might be from a privous marriage of Theodor' as she was b. abt 1833). Mary A (b. abt 1841), Elizabeth Louise (my gg-grandmother) (b. Dec 1842/Jan 1843?)(these children were from Prussia). The next list of children were born in Wisconsin. There was John (b. abt 1845), Julia (b. abt 1849), Franklin C/D. and Joseph J., the twins, were born March 18, 1851 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Frank died Oct 17, 1896 (in La Crosse, but I don't know for sure) and Joseph died June 6, 1931 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Henry was b. abt 1857 and George was b. abt 1860. My Smith family came from Prussia. The arrived on the ship "Louisa" June 21, 1843 and came into port at Castle Garden in New York. The left from a port in Rotterdam, Netherlands. They first settled in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. By April 1860 census Theodor was dead, and the family is in La Crosse, Wisconsin and they have americanized their surname to Smith from SCHMIDT, SCHMITZ or SCHMITT. 1860 census, both children named Julia are gone, the youngest is dead but the oldest, I don't know what happened to her. Married, dead? Anna M. and some of the children are with her in La Crescent, Houston Co., MN, where she work for a family as a housekeeper. The 1880 census, my gg-grandmother is married, so I know where she is. John is missing, as are son' Henry and George. Franklin and Joseph are in La Crosse. The mother Anna Maria is living with her son Joseph, he worked on the Railroad. Franklin is married to a Rebecca Lee and he also works on the railroad. October 30, 1890, Joseph marries Bertha Sattler (Saddler)in La Crosse, Wisconsin. I'd like to be able to find Julia, John, George and Henry and their families if they had any in the 1880/1900/1920/1930 census' and family tree'. The info listed with them may provide the missing links to where in Prussia the family came from and birth dates and such. I've tried the LDS site to no avail in regards to records from Prussia (Germany) and in the US. My gg-grandmother Elizabeths death record provided no added help. Though, on a census for Elizabeth' son Lucius, my g-grandfather, in the 1920 and 1930 census it does list Berlin, Germany. Any help is appreciated. Any relations most welcome. Also, Theodor, wife Anna Maria and sons Franklin and Joseph are buried in the Catholic Cemetery in La Crosse.

      Regards,
      Morgan