looking for help

  • Poppenhusen Family
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 23, 2009
      I am researching my family history, specifically Heinrich Peter Ernst
      Poppenhusen, DOB- 12-08-1833 with birthplace listed only as Schleswig,
      Germany. His parents were Henrich Poppenhusen and Margartha Yesser.
      Margartha shows to have died in Schleswig in1857, while her father shows
      to be Johann Yesser, born in Schleswig, in 1800 and died in 1880.
      Beyond that I have no information available. There was a Conrad
      Poppenhusen born in Hamburg, who came to the United States and settled
      in the New York area and made quite a reputation for himself. His
      family line, however, does not match that of Heinrich Poppenhusen.
      There are, however, many repeated given names in both lines, leading me
      to believe that there is a connection somewhere.
      My records show that Heinrich emmigrated to the United States in
      October of 1855. However, I cannot find a point of entry. The closest
      thing I found was and Ellis Island manifest with the name U.
      Poppenhusen, Germany, Gentleman. listed for that time period. He
      settled in the Washington, Missouri area of the country, which indicates
      that he could have come from the New York area or from New Orleans where
      he would have traveled up the Mississippi River, which seems more
      likely. From his arrival, I have all of the information that I need, I
      just cannot find anything in Germany. There is a possibility that the
      family may be Dutch, due to the area he came from and I am sure that in
      pre-1830's that may have been the case. I would like to find some
      churches in the area, if I can narrow down exactly where his father
      lived.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Sincerely;
      Robert N. Poppenhusen
    • Ken Everard
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 24, 2009
        BOB, I HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM WHEN I WAS SEARCHING FOR MY GREAT GRANDPARENTS. NO ELDER IN MY FAMILY COULD RECALL EXACTLY WHERE MY ANCESTOR CAME FROM. KEEP IN MIND THAT THE BORDERLINES OF COUNTRIES WERE NOT IDENTICAL BACK IN THE 1830s. I KNOW LONGER HAVE MUCH LEFT IN MY RECORDS BECAUSE I COULDN'T NOT DO IT AGAIN.

        GOOD LUCK ROBERT.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 24, 2009
          Dear Robert,
          You mentioned that you found an Ellis Island manifest for 1855. Are
          you sure it was Ellis Island? Ellis Island did not exist until
          1892. You may have come across some inaccurate information that has
          thrown you off. Just a thought.

          --- In germanroots@yahoogroups.com, Poppenhusen Family <txpoppy@...>
          wrote:

          > I am researching my family history, specifically Heinrich Peter
          Ernst
          > Poppenhusen, DOB- 12-08-1833 with birthplace listed only as
          Schleswig,
          > Germany. His parents were Henrich Poppenhusen and Margartha
          Yesser.
          > Margartha shows to have died in Schleswig in1857, while her father
          shows
          > to be Johann Yesser, born in Schleswig, in 1800 and died in 1880.
          > Beyond that I have no information available. There was a Conrad
          > Poppenhusen born in Hamburg, who came to the United States and
          settled
          > in the New York area and made quite a reputation for himself. His
          > family line, however, does not match that of Heinrich Poppenhusen.
          > There are, however, many repeated given names in both lines,
          leading me
          > to believe that there is a connection somewhere.
          > My records show that Heinrich emmigrated to the United States
          in
          > October of 1855. However, I cannot find a point of entry. The
          closest
          > thing I found was and Ellis Island manifest with the name U.
          > Poppenhusen, Germany, Gentleman. listed for that time period. He
          > settled in the Washington, Missouri area of the country, which
          indicates
          > that he could have come from the New York area or from New Orleans
          where
          > he would have traveled up the Mississippi River, which seems more
          > likely. From his arrival, I have all of the information that I
          need, I
          > just cannot find anything in Germany. There is a possibility that
          the
          > family may be Dutch, due to the area he came from and I am sure
          that in
          > pre-1830's that may have been the case. I would like to find some
          > churches in the area, if I can narrow down exactly where his
          father
          > lived.
          > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
          >
          > Sincerely;
          > Robert N. Poppenhusen

        • Andrew Kennedy
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 24, 2009
            Robert,

            I just returned (actually it was Dec 12, 2007 but it seems like
            yesterday) from a month long trip to Germany. I was there 51 years ago
            but being a dumb Army guy, I never thought to try and trace my maternal
            family roots there. Actually at the time I didn't know anything about
            my family roots except my maternal great grandfather was from Germany.
            In the last few years I learned that my great grandfather emigrated to
            America in 1860 and was from a small town in Western Germany called
            Blieskastal which is close to the French Border. At the time he
            emigrated, Blieskastal was a part of the Kingdom of Bavaria. I went
            there and with the help of a German friend I was able to find the house
            he had grown up in and see the parts of the city that in the 20 years
            that he was there he might have trod the streets that we were walking
            on. I was told that there was a problem of finding records because
            Napoleon marched though Blieskastal and ruled it until 1816 when it
            returned to rule under King Ludwig of Bavaria (yes, that "Mad Kind
            Ludwig"). I was told that when Napoleon marched through and conquered
            cities, one of the first things he would do was to destroy all the
            records in could which included birth records, etc. So finding records
            in this part of Germany is very difficult. Even the churches don't seem
            to have many. It was interesting to find that my great great
            grandfather actually changed or was made to change his name from Johann
            Baptist Hager to Jean Baptist Hager and then when Blieskastel became
            part of Bavaria again, he changed it back to Johann. Below is a pic of
            the house he lived in. It still looks in great shape and is over 250+
            years old. It's the one with the light blue front walls. The main
            reason I wrote is to tell you that you are absolutely right about
            borders being changed constantly back then due to wars. This was one of
            the reasons my 20 year old great grandfather emigrated to the USA in
            1860. He was so sick of all the little wars constantly going on there
            that he just wanted to start a new life here in America. I thank God
            for that and I think he must have been a great man. I only wish I could
            have met him. When we were looking for my great grandfather on manifest
            records of people coming into this country in 1860 we could find
            nothing. My friend in Germany was the one who solved the puzzle. It
            turns out he changed his name when he got here. On the manifest records
            he was recorded as Carl Franz Hager. In all the census and local
            records in Buffalo, NY, he was recorded as Charles Frederick Hager.
            Ironically, shortly after he got here, the Civil War started and he
            enlisted in the Union Army and fought for 2 years and was discharged in
            Alexandria, VA which is not far from where I live. This has gotten a
            bit too long but I'll close with this. History and especially German
            history have taken on much more meaning to me. I just with I had a lot
            more years to live so I could delve into this further. If all goes
            well, maybe this year or next year, I take another trip over there and
            see what I can find (even though I hate flying :-[ ).

            I wish you luck Robert in your quest for your ancestry.

            Andrew Kennedy.

            Ken Everard wrote:

            > BOB, I HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM WHEN I WAS SEARCHING FOR MY GREAT
            > GRANDPARENTS. NO ELDER IN MY FAMILY COULD RECALL EXACTLY WHERE MY
            > ANCESTOR CAME FROM. KEEP IN MIND THAT THE BORDERLINES OF COUNTRIES
            > WERE NOT IDENTICAL BACK IN THE 1830s. I KNOW LONGER HAVE MUCH LEFT IN
            > MY RECORDS BECAUSE I COULDN'T NOT DO IT AGAIN.
            >
            > GOOD LUCK ROBERT.

          • Peggy Figueroa
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 25, 2009

              Please check out the history of college point, queens, ny. I grew up in this town and there is a poppenhusen library and a poppenhusen statue amongst other things poppenhusen.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 29, 2009
                I was at my local library the other day and they had a book that showed the
                German map at different times in its history. You might be able to find the
                map for the time you are looking for and that my help you locate the area of
                your ancestors which might help you find more information. I don't recall
                the name of the book but I'm sure the person in your geneaology section could
                help you.
                Good Luck
                Jan
                steps!