New Member, I would like to introduce myself.

  • sherrell360
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 18, 2008
      Hello Everyone,
      My name is Sherrell Einsig, I live in Maryland. My mothers family was
      born and raised in Baltimore, and directly from Germany. I am a new
      member to this group and I am new to genealogy, but I sure have quickly
      become addicted, lol.

      My maternal side is mostly German. I have traced back to an
      immigration in the late 1800's to Baltimore, MD from Germany.

      My great-grandfather "Johann Greger" was 5 years old when his parents
      brought him and his infant sister. The ship was the "SS Normann", but
      I have not found any information beyond that.

      If anyone has any ideas of how to find the "Greger" family in Germany,
      please post or contact me.

      Thank you
    • judyadavison
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 19, 2008
        Hi Sherrell,

        Your family arrived in Baltimore on the S.S. Hermann (not Normann)
        from Bremen 22 Aug 1889. Parents were Johann and Therese, son Johann
        age 5, dau Therese age 11 months.

        To trace your family's roots in Germany, you absolutely need first to
        identify the town or village where they were born or lived.

        Have you tried searching for any of the following records in or
        around Baltimore?

        1. Naturalization record (per 1920 census, John became a naturalized
        citizen in 1903).
        2. Church records in Baltimore (many German-speaking churches in the
        U.S. kept excellent records, and these have helped me to successfully
        locate some of my German roots);
        3. His marriage license;
        4. Birth certificate of one of his children;
        5. His death certificate (or that of one of his children);
        6. His obituary notice;
        7. His Social Security application (if there is one - but I did not
        find his name in the SSDI).

        From census and SSDI records, I see John Jr's wife Margaret died in
        Baltimore Co MD in 1976. Her Social Security application may
        reference the village or district in Germany where her husband was
        born.

        Do you know whether the Charles Greger (wife Hattie), living in
        Baltimore Co MD in the 1920 census (both born Germany) is related?
        You might find something about your ancestral roots in Germany by
        searching for him as well.

        Be sure to check for alternate spellings. For example, in the 1910
        census for Baltimore (Election District 12), John and Teresa GREGOR.
        He is age 52, she is age 62, married 25 years, both b. Germany, had a
        total of 11 children but only two living. Have you tried to obtain
        their death certificates, or his application for citizenship?

        Maryland State Archives death record indexes on microfilm are
        searchable at:
        http://mdvitalrec.net/cfm/dsp_search.cfm

        This is a time-consuming process, but if you know the year of death
        for either John, Sr. or Theresa, you can find the death certificate
        number and request a copy. I am sure the website gives other contact
        information, as well.

        I didn't do a more in-depth search. Have you considered signing up
        for a free 2-week trial at ancestry.com?

        E-mail me directly if I can help further. I found the WWI draft
        record from John, Jr. but it only says he was born "Germany".

        It is very easy to become "addicted" to genealogy!

        Judy Davison

        --- In germanroots@yahoogroups.com, "sherrell360" <sherrell360@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello Everyone,
        > My name is Sherrell Einsig, I live in Maryland. My mothers family
        was
        > born and raised in Baltimore, and directly from Germany. I am a new
        > member to this group and I am new to genealogy, but I sure have
        quickly
        > become addicted, lol.
        >
        > My maternal side is mostly German. I have traced back to an
        > immigration in the late 1800's to Baltimore, MD from Germany.
        >
        > My great-grandfather "Johann Greger" was 5 years old when his
        parents
        > brought him and his infant sister. The ship was the "SS Normann",
        but
        > I have not found any information beyond that.
        >
        > If anyone has any ideas of how to find the "Greger" family in
        Germany,
        > please post or contact me.
        >
        > Thank you

      • Lynn Stegherr
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 19, 2008
          I think you sent this to me by mistake.  Thank You for you information.  ~Lynn Stegherr~

[...]

          From census and SSDI records, I see John Jr's wife Margaret died in