1103Re: AW: [germanroots] Heisser

  • JanKPlum@aol.com
    Apr 19, 2010
      Hello Dirk,

      I appreciate all of this information. Do you know how I could find the
      address or email address to this Speyer. or the familysearch-database? I
      have two places in my state that are supposed to be great sources for
      geneology information. I plan to go visit them but have not been able to do that
      yet. Again I thank you for your help. Jan

      In a message dated 4/18/2010 10:32:14 P.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
      dirk@... writes:

      Hello Jan !
      It is not that easy to trace your family with so less information (sorry
      for my poor english).
      First you have to know, that the first mistakes happens by reading the old
      papers. The letters are not clear, and they used a different way to write
      (called Kurant or suetterlin).

      You stated, that you have learned the names of two cities - but Rheinpfalz
      is not a city, it is a political region like a state in the US.
      The city Dirnstein - I haven^t found here - but there is a city called
      Dirmstein. This city is located in the mentioned area - and if you search the
      familysearch-The city Dirnstein - I haven^t found here - but there is a city
      called Dirmstein. This city is located in the mentioned area - and if you
      search the familysearch-<WBR>database you can find the name KECK very
      often. But familysearch only have
      If you are searching the familysearch-If you are searching the
      familysearch-<WBR>database, you need a lot of phantasy - means : try different
      spellings of a name. As I wrote above, the old letters are difficult to read, and
      by transcribing thousands of names, mistakes are made very often. I
      searched 30 diferent spellings, and found entries for my family. By reading the
      original documents, I found

      Spelling of family-names chenged during the time. In the early times the
      only records where made by the pastors, and in fact, the most people werent
      able to read. So the spelling wasn`t important. The next thing happend was,
      after arriving in the US, some names have been written "like they were
      pronounced".

      Greetings

      Dirk