RE: [germancooking] Shutting down germancooking

  • judy engel
    Message 1 of 34 , Jan 23, 2012
      Here's the simple answer to the entire situation. A person must do what he or she feels comfortable with. If you don't trust FB, then don't join!

      Judy

      To: germancooking@yahoogroups.com
      From: alexander@...
      Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 17:52:43 -0600
      Subject: Re: [germancooking] Shutting down germancooking

      I wouldn't believe everything I read on the internet, such as:

      1. "They [FaceBook] also only use information you allow them to use. Yes, you can opt out!"

      Not true: http://www.europe-v-facebook.org/EN/en.html

      2. "Advertisers are their only income."

      Not true: http://www.insidefacebook.com/2010/03/02/facebook-made-up-to-700-million-in-2009-on-track-towards-1-1-billion-in-2010/

      3. "They have lots of employees, and they are all in the USA."

      Not true: http://www.facebook.com/press/info.php?factsheet

      4. "They know what stores you went to and what product isles you have been in."

      Not true: http://money.cnn.com/2011/11/28/news/economy/malls_track_shoppers_cell_phones/index.htm

      There are clearly issues with the lack of privacy in modern society in many forms. However, that does not mean we must accept things as they are, including simply believing that what FaceBook (or any other company) tells you about security/privacy as being honest and correct.

      > Exactly. They also only use information you allow them to

      > use. Yes, you can opt out!

      > FB is a free service that cost money. They have to make a living

      > somehow. Advertisers are their only income. They have lots of

      > employees, and they are all in the USA. Not overseas.

      > Privacy is a bunch of croc anyway. Just google your name and see how

      > much comes up.

      > Having a cell phone is one way of kissing your privacy away, and who

      > does not have one? Just walk into a mall and you are being tracked

      > by your cell phone. They know what stores you went to and what

      > product isles you have been in. They get your cell phone provider id

      > and your phone id, not your phone numbers, but that means

      > nothing. They use the info they have gathered, contact your cell

      > phone company and buy the rest of the information from them. Next

      > you end up getting offers in the mail and you wonder how they got your info.

      > Stores track your behavior with free membership cards, that give you

      > discounts. They customize sales letters from your shopping behavior.

      > Those that don't have membership cards are being tracked down by

      > their debit or credit cards. Again the stores simply buy the address

      > information from the card issuer.

      > With other words there is no privacy anywhere in the US.

      > Even just having a discussion online leaves a track record. There is

      > a lot of stuff to be learned from just reading all that. It can be

      > used against you.

      > So getting your privacy means not owning a car, house, or having

      > utility bills etc, because that all has your info attached to it.

      > Add all the cams out there and you know where that is going.

      > Katharina

    • judy engel
      Message 34 of 34 , Jan 23, 2012

        To: germancooking@yahoogroups.com