Re: [germancooking] Homemade Quark recipe

  • Anne
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 27, 2006
      Jim , here's the recipe for homemade cottage cheese that I use successfully.

      2 - 1/2 gal Bulgarian Style buttermilk
      Pyrex heavy duty cheesecloth works best (I found it at Linen & Things)

      Place in very large or two large bowls in oven at lowest temperature keeping door open with a wooden spoon, etc. My oven has a minimum 175 degrees which is too hot. I place the bowls in around 4 pm, and at 10 pm I close the door and turn off the oven. Next day at about 8 am I remove the bowls.
      Line a large colander with cheesecloth and set over a large bowl. Ladle (I pour) curds and whey into colander and allow to drain until the drips of whey slow, maybe 1/2 hour. Tie the corner of the cheesecloth together to form a hanging pouch, and hang pouch over a bowl and allow to drain until the cheese reaches the desired consistency. By hand I squeeze out all the whey I can possibly get out (without busting the cheesecloth and the cheese ending up all over the backsplash or the wall :-))) - that's why I use the heavy duty cheesecloth) When it's dry enough, I take a portion and mix with skim milk, another portion with heavy whipping cream. For the cheesecake I add a very minimum of whole milk and blend in with mixer.

      Anne in Ark

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 27, 2006
        Anne,

        What is Bulgarian Style buttermilk and where do you get it? I have never
        seen anything like that here in North Carolina.

        Shirley

        --- In germancooking@ <mailto:germancooking%40yahoogroups.com>
> [...]
        >
        > Subject: [germancooking] neues Mitglied
        >

        > Hallo Ihr Alle,
        >
        > mein Name ist Gisela Buehler-Haddox, bin 67 Jahre alt und wohne in
        > North Carolina in USA.
        >
        > Ich koche oder backe gerne aber nur wenn es mich gerade ueberkommt
        > sowas zu machen. Zum Beispiel habe ich versucht eine Kaesesahnetorte
        > zu machen, leider faellt der jedesmal zusammen,d.h. bleibt nicht
        > steif. In USA habe ich keine Blatt Gelatine sondern nur Paeckchen und
        > da weiss ich nie wie man das portioniert. Ich haette gerne einmal ein
        > einfaches Rezept als Kaesenehme ich den "Cootage Cheese fein koernig"
        > den druecke ich durch ein Sieb und mache dann noch normaler Creme
        > cheese ist wie philadelphia kaese dazu, der ist ja ziemlich schwer.
        >
        > Vielleicht habt ihr ein gutes rezept.
        > Heute suche ich einfaches deutsches Weihnachtsgebaeck wie "butter
        > gebackenes", Hildagebaeck waere auch super.

      • Anne
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 28, 2006
          Shirley, Wal-Mart carries it and the only other grocery store, Price Cutter, does too. It comes in a carton, I think it's green/yellow and has printed on there: Bulgarian Style Buttermilk. To me it's richer and better than the other brands and it does make much better quark.

          Hope you can find it. Maybe a smaller grocery store, if you have such a rarity today, you might talk with the manager and see if he would be willing to order it.

          Good luck.

          Anne in Ark
> [...]

          > Subject: [germancooking] neues Mitglied
          >

          > Hallo Ihr Alle,
          >
          > mein Name ist Gisela Buehler-Haddox, bin 67 Jahre alt und wohne in
          > North Carolina in USA.
          >
          > Ich koche oder backe gerne aber nur wenn es mich gerade ueberkommt
          > sowas zu machen. Zum Beispiel habe ich versucht eine Kaesesahnetorte
          > zu machen, leider faellt der jedesmal zusammen,d.h. bleibt nicht
          > steif. In USA habe ich keine Blatt Gelatine sondern nur Paeckchen und
          > da weiss ich nie wie man das portioniert. Ich haette gerne einmal ein
          > einfaches Rezept als Kaesenehme ich den "Cootage Cheese fein koernig"
          > den druecke ich durch ein Sieb und mache dann noch normaler Creme
          > cheese ist wie philadelphia kaese dazu, der ist ja ziemlich schwer.
          >
          > Vielleicht habt ihr ein gutes rezept.
          > Heute suche ich einfaches deutsches Weihnachtsgebaeck wie "butter
          > gebackenes", Hildagebaeck waere auch super.

        • Shirley Bossbach
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 28, 2006
            Thanks Anne, I'll look for it.

            Shirley

> [...]

            > Subject: [germancooking] neues Mitglied
            >

            > Hallo Ihr Alle,
            >
            > mein Name ist Gisela Buehler-Haddox, bin 67 Jahre alt und wohne in
            > North Carolina in USA.
            >
            > Ich koche oder backe gerne aber nur wenn es mich gerade ueberkommt
            > sowas zu machen. Zum Beispiel habe ich versucht eine Kaesesahnetorte
            > zu machen, leider faellt der jedesmal zusammen,d.h. bleibt nicht
            > steif. In USA habe ich keine Blatt Gelatine sondern nur Paeckchen und
            > da weiss ich nie wie man das portioniert. Ich haette gerne einmal ein
            > einfaches Rezept als Kaesenehme ich den "Cootage Cheese fein koernig"
            > den druecke ich durch ein Sieb und mache dann noch normaler Creme
            > cheese ist wie philadelphia kaese dazu, der ist ja ziemlich schwer.
            >
            > Vielleicht habt ihr ein gutes rezept.
            > Heute suche ich einfaches deutsches Weihnachtsgebaeck wie "butter
            > gebackenes", Hildagebaeck waere auch super.

          • Sam Brungardt
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 28, 2006
              Hello, my name is Sam Brungardt and I'd like to repay those who have shared
              their recipes with this group. I edited the "Sei Unser Gast" cookbook for
              the North Star Chapter of the American Historical Society of Germans from
              Russia (see http://www.northstarchapter.org/COOKBOOK/Order%20Form.htm). The
              following recipe from the "Sei Unser Gast" cookbook is based on one in
              Margit Stoll Dutton's "The German Pastry Book":

              Quark (Uncured Cream Cheese)

              Because the milk needs to ferment for at least 24 hours, start to make Quark
              a couple of days before you need it. The following recipe makes about 3
              cups of Quark:

              Mix 1/2 gallon of homogenized whole milk with 1 cup of cultured buttermilk.
              Pour into a glass, earthenware, or enameled container; cover; let set at
              room temperature for 1 or 2 days, or until the milk becomes thick and smells
              slightly sour (the Germans call this stage "Sauermilch").

              Pour the clabbered milk into a heavy-bottomed saucepan and turn the heat
              under the pan to medium. Watch for the moment when the milk begins to
              shrink from the sides of the pan and the surface begins to look somewhat
              solid. Then turn the heat as low as you can. After about 5 minutes, insert
              a knife into the center of the Quark. If the blade comes out clean, it's
              done. If not, continue to heat the Quark and test again in a few minutes.

              When the Quark is done, turn off the heat and allow the Quark to cool in the
              pan. When it's completely cool, place it in a fine seive to drain (if you
              wish, save the whey to use in bread). The whey that drains from the Quark
              should be clear. If it's cloudy, return the Quark to the saucepan and heat
              it some more. If the finished Quark is yellowish and grainy, you heated it
              too long.

              Refrigerate the Quark if you are not going to use it right away; it will
              keep up to 5 days under refrigeration.

              age, and price. Try it!
            • judy engel
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 28, 2006
                Hi All,

                This is just a testimony to the Quark recipe submitted by Mr. Brungardt. I also have Margit Stoll Dutton's "The German Pastry Book" and have enjoyed each and every one of her recipes. It's a great asset to anyone's cookbook collection.

                Judy Engel
                Russia (see http://www.northstarchapter.org/COOKBOOK/Order%20Form.htm<http://www.northstarchapter.org/COOKBOOK/Order%20Form.htm>). The

                http://shopping.msn.com/content/shp/?ctId=8000,ptnrid=176,ptnrdata=200601&tcode=wlmtagline<http://shopping.msn.com/content/shp/?ctId=8000,ptnrid=176,ptnrdata=200601&tcode=wlmtagline>