PLATSCHINTA (Volga-German Pumpkin Tarts)

  • timotheus777
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2003
      I recently put together a small collection of our family's recipes
      (all of which are already in our club's collection). Here is one of
      them, which I am reprinting to correct the distortion caused by
      the "club-to-group" switchover. Enjoy!

      PLATSCHINTA, a Volga-German pumpkin pocket
      (pronounced: Pla-chin-ta)
      Origin: the German Colonies in Tsarist Russia (My Oma's Recipe).

      Ingredients:
      2½-3lbs (1.2kg-1.4kg) cooked drained pumpkin (or canned).
      1/4 lb. (114g) of uncooked bacon (diced)
      1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
      2 C. flour
      ½ C. sugar (optional)
      3 Tbls. Vegetable shortening
      dash of salt
      1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
      Salt & pepper to taste
      Lemon pepper to taste (optional)
      a little water.

      Method:

      To cook fresh pumpkin, cut in half and remove seeds. Clean out inside
      and place rounded side up on foiled cookie sheet. Bake in oven for
      about 1 hour or until tender. Scoop out cooked pumpkin, mash and
      drain in colander (I usually place in refrigerator over night).
      Canned pumpkin is ok too.

      Wrapping (crust):
      2 cups flour
      3 Tbs. vegetable shortening
      dash of salt (½ tsp.)
      6 Tbls. cold water

      Mix this together and blend to consistency of pie dough and set
      aside. Use up all of the dough. Fry bacon until tender but not too
      crispy and remove bacon, leaving grease in sauce pan. Add onion and
      sauté until tender.

      Add seasoning to pumpkin (squash): 1/4 lb. (114g) of cooked bacon
      (diced and drained) 1 large sautéed onion (cooked in bacon grease) 1
      tsp. sugar 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg salt and pepper to taste.

      Flour bread board, take about 1/3 of dough, roll out until thin (as
      for pie), and cut into squares (about 4"x4"/10cmx10cm). Place about 4
      Tbls. of cooled pumpkin mix in center of squares and fold up corners
      (corner for corner) over top of filling and crimp edges. Place
      stuffed pumpkin pockets folded-side down onto greased cookie sheet
      and bake at 350°F. (177°C) until golden brown (about 10-15
      minutes).

      NOTE: They also make nifty piroshki crimpers for this sort of thing.
      You might find that an easier way to make the pockets. Brush
      Platschinta with a little whipped egg white for a better look. Also,
      cooled filling is easier to work with than hot. Give the filling
      time to cool (refrigerate it for an hour or two) before stuffing into
      wraps. Serve with Krautbierock (Runzas).

      Guten Appetit!

      -Timotheus :-)