Five minute interview The Independent Georgie Fame

  • Michael J Bedford
    Message 1 of 30 , Oct 4, 2007
      Five minute interview The Independent Georgie Fame Go to

      http://news.independent.co.uk/people/profiles/article3024735.ece

      Cheers

      Young Michael

      “Dawn Yawn”

    • MIKE MASTERTON
      Message 2 of 30 , Oct 4, 2007
        Had to laugh at the "I don't swear" bit, not much.

      • Michael J Bedford
        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 4, 2007
          Re: [Georgie Fame] Five minute interview The Independent Georgie Fame Mike

          Did you get the “Fly Navy” connection?

          Cheers

          Young Michael.

          “Bird In A World Full Of People”

            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 5, 2007
              Re: [Georgie Fame] Five minute interview The Independent Georgie Fame Mike

              Check out the stickers on Georgie’s Hammond & his flying aspirations.

              Cheers

              Young Michael

              “Let The Sun Shine In”

                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 5, 2007
                  Re: [Georgie Fame] Five minute interview The Independent Georgie Fame Mike

                  Have a look at my photo in the Canary Wharf album in the photos section of this group.

                  The sticker is among others on the side.

                  Good hunting!

                  Young Michael.

                  “Sitting In The Park”

                  On 05/10/2007 8:48 am, "MIKE MASTERTON" <Mike.Masterton@...> wrote:

[...]

                  http://news.independent.co.uk/people/profiles/article3024735.ece <http://news.indep endent.co.uk/people/profiles/article3024735.ece>

                  Cheers

                  Young Michael

                  “Dawn Yawn”

                • MIKE MASTERTON
                  Message 8 of 30 , Oct 5, 2007
                    Oh yeah, lol, I love this Hammond, stood right by it at The Cricketter's Pub in London & got some good pic's, & got all the band to sign an LP inner sleeve for me. He sometime's uses the organ at the Jazz cafe. The last time I saw Georgie there I got him to sign the box set under duress lol, after he signed it he said,"There you got it " as if it was a painfull ordeal for him, I should have said "That didn't hurt, did it " lol
                    Regards
                    Mike.

                  • Mike Griffiths
                    Message 9 of 30 , Oct 5, 2007
                      Michael J Bedford <michael@...> wrote:

                      Thanks Michael.  That is great and just too good not to copy onto the group messages.  I found it very illuminating for such a such piece.

                      face=Helvetica>Cheers,
                      Mike

                      The 5-minute Interview: Georgie Fame, Musician

                      'When you get to 50 you think you're old – then you realise it is cool'

                      Published: 04 October 2007

                      Georgie Fame, 64, had his first No 1 hit in 1968 with 'The Ballad Of Bonnie And Clyde'. Since then, the British R&B veteran has made yearly visits to Ronnie Scott's club in London. He starts a six-night residency there on Monday

                      If I weren't talking to you right now I'd be...

                      Having breakfast before going to rehearse with the jazz orchestra in Sweden.

                      A phrase I use too often...

                      Nothing really. I don't swear.

                      I wish people would take more notice of...

                      What man has done to the environment. It's like a runaway train and I shudder to think what it will be like for my grandchildren. My generation had the best years. We missed the Second World War and caught the outburst of rock 'n' roll.

                      The most surprising thing that happened to me...

                      I went to Heathrow and it took 30 minutes to travel eight kilometres. Even though I allowed twice the usual time to get there, I still missed my plane.

                      A common misperception of me is...

                      Some people think I'm a rock 'n' roll musician and some think I'm a jazz musician but, for me, there is no difference.

                      I am not a politician but...

                      If I was I would commit suicide. There's nothing politicians can do, only make platitudes.

                      I'm good at...

                      I learnt to fly aeroplanes about eight years ago. I've a few hours on my log-book and I can fly alone safely. I can cook well too.

                      I'm very bad at...

                      Being surrounded by people. I'm not good at being in a crowd anymore.

                      The ideal night out is...

                      I would take my girlfriend to Pizza On The Park in London and listen to Mose Allison. He has had a profound influence on my career. He is 80 years old and he's still performing. It inspires me.

                      In weak moments I...

                      Stay up too long talking with old friends.

                      You know me as a musician but in truer life I'd be a...

                      Pilot or a naval aviator. In my youth I thought I was going to be a professional rugby player.

                      The best age to be is...

                      In my teens I thought it was the best, then in my twenties I thought that was it. When you get to 50 you think you're old, but then you realise it's cool.

                      In a nutshell, my philosophy is...

                      Be cool and try to do the best you can.

                      Claire Daly

                    • philip andrews
                      Message 10 of 30 , Oct 5, 2007
                        Fly Navy - I thought it may have been a reference to the Village People or is that In the navy?
                        cough cough
                        Phil

                        To: georgiefame@yahoogroups.com
                        From: Mike.Masterton@...
                        Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 09:25:14 +0100
                        Subject: Re: [Georgie Fame] Five minute interview The Independent Georgie Fame

                        Oh yeah, lol, I love this Hammond, stood right by it at The Cricketter's Pub in London & got some good pic's, & got all the band to sign an LP inner sleeve for me. He sometime's uses the organ at the Jazz cafe. The last time I saw Georgie there I got him to sign the box set under duress lol, after he signed it he said,"There you got it " as if it was a painfull ordeal for him, I should have said "That didn't hurt, did it " lol
                        Regards
                        Mike.

                        Get free emoticon packs and customisation from Windows Live. Pimp My Live!
                      • bookertmgs1
                        Message 11 of 30 , Oct 16, 2007
                          Just following on from the autograph comment .......

                          I was lucky (???) enough to see Georgie about 18 months ago at a concert near to where he was born in Leigh.

                          After listening to his records for a number of years, and always managing to have something else planned every time he played his "hometown", I was thrilled that I was finally going to see him.

                          To be honest, the music was OK and he played well.

                          After the gig, I managed to have a quick word & asked him to sign my copy of the "At the Flamingo". I was astounded by how rude & arrogant he was, not just with me but the other people who asked very nicely for him to sign something. I have to stress that he was hardly faced with a Beatles type stampede - just about 15 people waiting patiently for an autograph - all of them from his hometown.

                          Obviously there are people from all over the world subscribe to this group, but the town that Georgie is from, is renowned for being down to earth & friendly. I'm afraid that Georgie has lost the qualities that Leigh bestowed on him.

                          I have been lucky enough to meet a few famous musicians (98% of them far bigger than him) and none was as big headed & arrogant as he was. Full of himself ? He needed to get a bloody trailer to take his ego home.

                          Never been as disappointed - they always say that you should never meet your heroes - they are right. Great Musician - big arse of a man.

                          Sorry, but have waited 18 months to get that off my chest !!

                          Philip

                              Message 14 of 30 , Oct 16, 2007
                                Interesting comments and in truth I am not surprised, despite his cosy chat these days about "down the Mingo"  and 'robbin Count Suckle records" he was never one of the crowd down there, he was fine when he played but as soon he finished the set he was out of there like a scared bunny rabbit.

                                OK every artist has an off night, but these stories about Georgie 'not suffering fools gladly' are far to numerous. When ever I read that term, either in an obit or about an artist instead of finding it something to admire, as the writer often intends, I see them as an arrogant ignorant git.

                                Half the problem I feel is that when artists behave like this, to few fans say up yours you ignorant fuck, thus they begin to believe they can get away with such rudeness.  Perhaps all those years ago if he had really been stealing Suckle's sounds and the Count caught him and gave Clive a slap, today Clivie might  be all the better for it. Or more likely he would have run home to the north west ;)

                                Shame really as at his best Fame is a great musician.

                                On 16/10/2007, bookertmgs1 <philipethicos@...> wrote:

[...]

                                Organized Rage

                                http://organizedrage.blogspot.com/
                              • dcmarj18@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 30 , Oct 16, 2007
                                  I often read these emails but seldom join in - I've had Georgie play my place 5 maybe 6 times and he has ALWAYS been the perfect gentleman, photos, autographs, chats whatever - if anything, when he has a couple of JDs he's hard to get rid of! much to the pleasure of those still hanging around.
                                  Funny old world.
                                  Georgie Fame back at THE HORNS April '08........... can't wait
                                  Denis Cook

                                  On 16/10/2007, bookertmgs1 <philipethicos@ yahoo.co. uk> wrote:
[...]

                                  Get a FREE AOL Email account with unlimited storage. Plus, share and store photos and experience exclusively recorded live music Sessions from your favourite artists. Click Here for more information.
                                • philip andrews
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Oct 16, 2007
                                    All,
                                    I think its all down to his experiences being managed and used by theGunnells. Never again he probably thinks when he signs stuff and it ends up on Ebay for instance! "Never  meet your heros" I haven't heard that before but its true. Ronnie Scott said many of his heros had feet of clay except Stan Getz who had a head of clay. That's because he felt he should get paid the same money as the whole of the Buddy Rich Big Band!
                                    Phil

                                    To: georgiefame@yahoogroups.com

[...]

                                    Do you know a place like the back of your hand? Share local knowledge with BackOfMyHand.com
                                  • Alan Durrant
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Oct 17, 2007
                                      Hi All,

                                      Agree "Never meet your Hero", i have idolised Georgies Music for
                                      many years, his style, but have never had any thoughts about meeting
                                      him, firstly i would be totally embarrassed trying to speak to
                                      someone who has been up there on a pedal stool all those years, but
                                      i guess the real reason is that I would not want to spoil my opinion
                                      about him in anyway, in the way that a few of you guys have
                                      encountered.

                                      However I have had a few brief chats after gigs in recent years and
                                      Georgie has been fine.

                                      Alan D

                                      --- In georgiefame@yahoogroups.com, philip andrews
                                      <philipandrews37@...> wrote:

                                      > All,
                                      > I think its all down to his experiences being managed and used by
                                      theGunnells. Never again he probably thinks when he signs stuff and
                                      it ends up on Ebay for instance! "Never meet your heros" I haven't
                                      heard that before but its true. Ronnie Scott said many of his heros
                                      had feet of clay except Stan Getz who had a head of clay. That's
                                      because he felt he should get paid the same money as the whole of
                                      the Buddy Rich Big Band!Phil

                                      > To: georgiefame@...: dcmarj18@...: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 14:29:43 -
                                      0400Subject: Re: [Georgie Fame] Five minute interview The
                                      Independent Georgie Fame

                                      > I often read these emails but seldom join in - I've had Georgie
                                      play my place 5 maybe 6 times and he has ALWAYS been the perfect
                                      gentleman, photos, autographs, chats whatever - if anything, when he
                                      has a couple of JDs he's hard to get rid of! much to the pleasure of
                                      those still hanging around.Funny old world.Georgie Fame back at THE
                                      HORNS April '08........... can't waitDenis Cook-----Original Message-
                                      ----From: Mick <hlmch2@...>To: georgiefame@...: Tue, 16 Oct 2007
                                      5.21pmSubject: Re: [Georgie Fame] Five minute interview The
                                      Independent Georgie Fame

> [...]
                                      >

                                      > Oh yeah, lol, I love this Hammond, stood right by it at The
                                      Cricketter's Pub in London & got some good pic's, & got all the band
                                      to sign an LP inner sleeve for me. He sometime's uses the organ at
                                      the Jazz cafe. The last time I saw Georgie there I got him to sign
                                      the box set under duress lol, after he signed it he said,"There you
                                      got it " as if it was a painfull ordeal for him, I should have
                                      said "That didn't hurt, did it " lol
                                      > Regards
                                      > Mike.
                                      >

                                      > For ideas on reducing your carbon footprint visit Yahoo! For Good
                                      this month.

                                      > -- Organized Ragehttp://organizedrage.blogspot.com/
                                      >

                                      > Get a FREE AOL Email account with unlimited storage. Plus, share
                                      and store photos and experience exclusively recorded live music
                                      Sessions from your favourite artists. Click Here for more

                                    • MIKE MASTERTON

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Oct 17, 2007
                                          Hi Mike - like a lot of people, and a lot of situations, you have to know when to approach and when to hang back - for example an artist has been on stage, not happy about some element of the gig (monitors, sound..) and before he can cool down, and indeed come down from the high (or low), some nutter is thrusting a photo and pen in his face and asking him to play his daughters wedding!  Then wonders why the guy is "rude" !
                                          If you wanna chat after a gig wait till the artist has chilled and is in the right frame of mind to "deal" with the fan situation. I appreciate you can't in some venues like say the JC because they go upstairs and then it's more difficult - but I met and had a long "chat" with John Martyn a few years back at the JC so it can be achieved.
                                          Regards
                                          Denis

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Oct 17, 2007
                                              Re: [Georgie Fame] Attitude On 17/10/2007 11:12 am, "Mick" <hlmch2@...> wrote:
                                              Here’s my 2 €cents on the subject.

                                              Having met Georgie at several gigs over the years, I can understand everyone’s different perception of our man off-stage.

                                              Sometimes he has other agendas. Probably he’s had problems on stage or wants to get away for a quiet meal & chat with friends etc.

                                              Thee is no doubt in his passion for his music – he has a pedigree second to none.

                                              I always accept that it is his choice as to how he deals with the “punters”.  I look forward to the next time we meet.

                                              I don’t believe he has feet of clay.

                                              Cheers

                                              “Young Michael”

                                              “Yes Honestly”

                                              On 16/10/2007, bookertmgs1 <philipethicos@...  <mailto:philipethicos@...> > wrote:
[...]

                                              For ideas on reducing your carbon footprint visit Yahoo! For Good <http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/environment.html>  this month.

                                            • Peter Austin
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Oct 17, 2007
                                                Having been to several of the gigs at The Horns I can vouch for GF being amicable if you time it right. Denis has a very hands-on approach at his gigs and would always clear it with GF if and when he would be willing to meet his audience. I'm not suggesting GF is 'high maintenance' but if the artist is not handled well at a venue then an over-zealous fan could cop for it !

                                                Pete Austin, Watford

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Oct 17, 2007
                                                  Hello all,

                                                  I would like to share my story.
                                                  I was also afraid to meet my hero, but I'm very glad that I did.
                                                  The appreciation only got bigger.
                                                  Georgie always takes the time to say something to me, before or after
                                                  a peformance.
                                                  Now he recognizes me as his friend from The Netherlands, and asks how
                                                  I am doing.
                                                  He appreciates it greatly when I am present at a performance, and he
                                                  gladly posed for a photo together with me.
                                                  So my experiences are only pleasant.

                                                  Greetings,
                                                  Rianne.
                                                • MIKE MASTERTON

                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Oct 17, 2007
                                                        Mike - if you read my email again; I was not referring to GF - I said "an artist etc
                                                        I was not implying GF was rude - but that some artists could be described "rude" for having to deal with idiots post a gig.
                                                        denis
                                                      • DAVID ELSE

                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Oct 22, 2007
                                                                Ok - my last comment on this, as I think there are some things being suggested in a roundabout way........

                                                                1. It approximatley 45 mins after the end of the concert when I and 15 other people stood patiently in line for a quick word.

                                                                2. He was'nt in a rush to go anywhere, as he remained in the bar with the other 30 people left in venue for approximatley 1 hour after the "incident"

                                                                3. I am not a nutter and did'nt thrust anything under his nose. I asked very politely whether he would sign an Lp and then removed it from my bag.

                                                                Cheers

                                                                Philip