RE: [Georgie Fame] John McLaughlin on "Get on the right track baby"

  • Nick Rossi
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 28, 2006
      But not according to my ears! Seriously though, I did try to find what you
      were referencing Phil, but got lost in the site. That said, McLaughlin is
      not on "Get On The Right Track, Baby" - in fact, there is no guitar at all
      on the recording.

      There is a guitar on the tracks featuring the Earl Guest accompaniment,
      which is something else I happened to ask producer Ian Samwell about a few
      years ago:

      Ian Samwell: The second album we did at IBC Studios, I think: the Fame At
      Last album. That was kind of the end of my involvement. We did give a shot
      to make singles.

      NR: Tell me something about Earl Guest and who brought him on a few of those
      sessions.

      IS: I brought him in. He lived in south London. I would take him records
      of things that we wanted to do. He would write charts from that. We should
      have just done our own version, instead of trying to do a carbon copy. But
      at the time, the records that we were doing were so obscure anyway that it
      just seemed like a good idea.

      NR: Do you recall whom you brought in to play guitar on the Fame At Last
      studio sessions? Was it Big Jim Sullivan? John McLaughlin? Tex Makins
      seems to think it may have even been Jimmy Page.

      IS: No, I don�t, but John McLaughlin is a good bet. He was the best session
      player in town and he lived just down the street from me. I would go over
      and we would try to write songs. One day he said, �I�m going away for a
      while. I�m going down to Hastings. I just gotta learn how to play this
      thing.� And he was already the hottest session man. He was the number one
      guy you called. But, I can�t say for sure. We never thought any of this
      sort of stuff would really last. A pop record was a sweet taste in the
      mouth and it was gone.

      NER

      >From: "wardour1964" <philipandrews37@...>
      >To: georgiefame@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [Georgie Fame] John McLaughlin on "Get on the right track baby"
      >Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 21:46:46 -0000
      >
      >According to this link:
      >
      >http://cadensa.bl.uk/uhtbin/cgisirsi/NAgt3cKWXT/8790010/9
      >
      >Info from the British Library Sound Archive. I am going to be up all
      >night on this site!!

      Get the new Windows Live Messenger!
    • Mick
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 29, 2006
        Fascinating stuff Nick, are these interviews published any where.

        Best regards

        Mick

        On 8/29/06, Nick Rossi <rossi_nick@...> wrote:
        > But not according to my ears! Seriously though, I did try to find what you
        > were referencing Phil, but got lost in the site. That said, McLaughlin is
        > not on "Get On The Right Track, Baby" - in fact, there is no guitar at all
        > on the recording.
        >
        > There is a guitar on the tracks featuring the Earl Guest accompaniment,
        > which is something else I happened to ask producer Ian Samwell about a few
        > years ago:
        >
        > Ian Samwell: The second album we did at IBC Studios, I think: the Fame At
        > Last album. That was kind of the end of my involvement. We did give a shot
        > to make singles.
        >
        > NR: Tell me something about Earl Guest and who brought him on a few of those
        > sessions.
        >
        > IS: I brought him in. He lived in south London. I would take him records
        > of things that we wanted to do. He would write charts from that. We should
        > have just done our own version, instead of trying to do a carbon copy. But
        > at the time, the records that we were doing were so obscure anyway that it
        > just seemed like a good idea.
        >
        > NR: Do you recall whom you brought in to play guitar on the Fame At Last
        > studio sessions? Was it Big Jim Sullivan? John McLaughlin? Tex Makins
        > seems to think it may have even been Jimmy Page.
        >
        > IS: No, I don't, but John McLaughlin is a good bet. He was the best session
        > player in town and he lived just down the street from me. I would go over
        > and we would try to write songs. One day he said, "I'm going away for a
        > while. I'm going down to Hastings. I just gotta learn how to play this
        > thing." And he was already the hottest session man. He was the number one
        > guy you called. But, I can't say for sure. We never thought any of this
        > sort of stuff would really last. A pop record was a sweet taste in the
        > mouth and it was gone.
        >
        > NER
        >

        > >From: "wardour1964" <philipandrews37@...>
        > >To: georgiefame@yahoogroups.com
        > >Subject: [Georgie Fame] John McLaughlin on "Get on the right track baby"
        > >Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 21:46:46 -0000
        > >
        > >According to this link:
        > >
        > >http://cadensa.bl.uk/uhtbin/cgisirsi/NAgt3cKWXT/8790010/9
        > >
        > >Info from the British Library Sound Archive. I am going to be up all
        > >night on this site!!

        > Get the new Windows Live Messenger!
        > http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/default.aspx?locale=en-us&source=wlmailtagline
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Nick Rossi
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 29, 2006
          Thanks Mick. Unfortunately No. The Ian Samwell piece was supposed to be
          part of a "bigger picture" article I was working on that got trimmed down
          to the Mick Eve interview that was published a few years back. Someone put
          me in touch with Ian just before he passed away - he wasn't living too far
          from me. He was a bit older and didn't have too much to say about his brief
          association with Fame & the Blue Flames - although all his memories were
          fond ones (except those about the Gunnells!). At any rate, it was a rare
          opportunity so I took it.

          I was very interested in compiling (and was pursuing) some sort of oral
          history of the Flamingo Club at one point of time, but realized that doing
          so with my current schedule & activities from San Francisco was a bit futile
          (not to mention costly). Perhaps, if I lived closer to London and could
          spend some more face-to-face time with more of the "survivors" it would be a
          much more realistic project. Dan is on to something though...I hope someone
          is archiving these stories on this list at the very least!

          I would be happy to send you (or anyone) a full transcript of my brief
          interview with him if interested. Just send me your preferred email
          address.

          NICK ROSSI

> [...]
          > > while. I'm going down to Hastings. I just gotta learn how to play this
          > > thing." And he was already the hottest session man. He was the number
          >one
          > > guy you called. But, I can't say for sure. We never thought any of
          >this
          > > sort of stuff would really last. A pop record was a sweet taste in the
          > > mouth and it was gone.
          > >
          > > NER
          > >

          > > >From: "wardour1964" <philipandrews37@...>
          > > >To: georgiefame@yahoogroups.com
          > > >Subject: [Georgie Fame] John McLaughlin on "Get on the right track
          >baby"
          > > >Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 21:46:46 -0000
          > > >
          > > >According to this link:
          > > >
          > > >http://cadensa.bl.uk/uhtbin/cgisirsi/NAgt3cKWXT/8790010/9
          > > >
          > > >Info from the British Library Sound Archive. I am going to be up all

          Windows Live Spaces is here! It�s easy to create your own personal Web site.
          http://spaces.live.com/signup.aspx