Re: Cultural Alignments

  • Jefferson Wilson
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2005
      tomhchappell wrote:

      regarding http://www.meanspc.com/~jeff_wilson63/rpg/align12.html

      > I was hoping somebody (I nominated Jeff, but he's busy) would put
      > together a list of rating-systems such as the one Jeff has proposed
      > here.

      If someone does find another list similar to mine, please email
      me or post the link here and I'll add it to my page.

      > If each of these rating-systems all allowed the user to link to the
      > others, someone describing their society could go ahead and publish
      > a "rating-vector" according to their favorite two or three (or their
      > favorite number of) such systems, and let their readers and/or users
      > pick their own favorite out of that bunch; that would increase the
      > likelihood that a user/reader new to the society would actually
      > derive some useful preliminary "feel" for the society before plunging
      > in.

      While I don't have the time right now to write a comparison
      program, if anyone wants to rate fictional or historical
      societies using my scale you can send me the rating and I'll put
      together a "Samples" page showing that information.

      There are only two rules:

      1) You must provide reasonably well-developed web page for the
      society.
      2) You must use all 12 ratings.

      (As always, I welcome comments on my web pages, even comments not
      specifically associated with this email.)

      --
      Jefferson
      http://www.picotech.net/~jeff_wilson63/rpg/
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 10, 2005
        Jeff:
        In Sid Meiers' games, "Civilization" etc., cultures have ratings
        along certain scales that I will try to remember:

        warlike vs peacelike:

        A society neutral on this scale is not likely to go to war with you
        if they are already at war with someone else, and not likely to
        conclude peace with you (end a war with you) if the war with you is
        the only war they are fighting.

        A peacelike society will seek to remain at peace or restore peace
        even if they are currently not fighting anyone else.

        A warlike society may resort to war to redress what they perceive as
        wrongs, or to acquire things they want which aren't easier to obtain
        peacefully, even if they are already at war with someone else.

        expansionistic vs perfectonistic:

        An expansionistic society will seek to acquire new territory and
        establish new settlements even if their existing territory and
        settlements are not yet fully developed.

        A perfectionistic society will seek to fully develop and improve its
        existing territory and settlements even if there is plentiful
        unexplored and not-claimed-by-anyone-else territory suitable for
        settlement.

        There are also scales regarding how much of their surplus resources
        and income, and what fraction of their population, a society will put
        into
        * new technology or new knowledge
        * luxuries and entertainment
        * growing their population
        * getting rich (increasing their income)

        I do not have a URL for a site that has the list.
        I don't know whether or not such a list, as mere text, is
        copyrighted; or whether it is the software implementation of the list
        which is protected.

        Look at http://www.firaxis.com/games/game_detail.php?gameid=6
        for a start.

        Tom H.C. in MI

        --- In geofiction@yahoogroups.com, Jefferson Wilson

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 10, 2005
          From http://www.civ3.com/devupdate_civspecific.cfm

          "In Civilization III, each civilization is categorized based on its
          strengths. There are six categories (Militaristic, Commercial ,
          Expansionistic, Scientific, Religious, and Industrious), and each civ
          is attributed two categories. The Romans, for example, are
          a "Militaristic and Industrious" civ."