Re: Divine Family

  • dachshundweaver
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 10, 2004
      Sif is a warrior goddes? Wow, all I knew was that she had long
      blonde hair that Loki cut off as a joke. I thought she was a dainty,
      nubile foil for the earthy Thor. I thought wrong!

    • JefWilson@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 28, 2004
        In a message dated 1/26/04 3:30:52 PM Mountain Standard Time, endesch@...
        writes:

        >I dont think Sif would live in the same hall as Thor - most of the
        >greatest goddesses keep their own places.

        True; but 1) Those places kept by husband-wife pairs are often close
        enough together to be considered as a single place, and 2) the
        relationship between Sif and Thor is not the norm among the gods.

        When dealing with the Norse pantheon, I've always interpreted the match
        between Sif and Thor as one of those true love matches that we see so
        infrequently. WHY they love each other has baffled the h*** out of me,
        but the same could be said for many of the successful relationships I
        know in real life.

        >I dont think it is highly likely that she would have some unknown god
        >as her brother either. The goddesses with strangers-to-the-Aesir-and-
        >Vanir brothers mostly have wicked giant brothers.

        The relationship between Sif and Ferris is complicated. It was easiest
        to sum them up as siblings for the purposes of this short story.

        >Sif is a warrior goddess, and it might not respectful to cast her as
        >a helpless maiden needing her husband and brother to rescue her.

        What gave you this impression? (And I mean that literally, I'd like to
        know so I can improve my writing.) Sif is far from helpless, but she was
        visiting the Valkyries so that her husband could set a trap.

        >Goblins are not part of traditional norse mythology.

        Sure they are. Just because the Norse language uses "troll" where
        English would use "goblin," "ogre," "troll," or "hag" doesn't mean they
        don't have such creatures.

        >Ferris sounds too much like Fenris. - the Fenris wulf one of the
        >worst enemies Asgard has ever known.

        True. Probably the Nordicized version of his name should be "Fors" or
        "Forri." (Although at this stage of the myth cycle the Fenris Wulf is
        dead.)

        Jefferson
        http://www.picotech.net/~jeff_wilson63/rpg/