Welcome to June 2008's new members!

  • tomhchappell
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
      cherryfinals cherryfinals@... Jun 29, 2008
      al_fishes bencarnehl@... Jun 27, 2008
      piotr.janmaat piotr.janmaat@... Jun 19, 2008
      tjdawe tjdawe@... Jun 9, 2008
    • Ben Karnell
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
        --- In geofiction@yahoogroups.com, "tomhchappell" <tomhchappell@...>
        wrote:

        > cherryfinals cherryfinals@... Jun 29, 2008
        > al_fishes bencarnehl@... Jun 27, 2008
        > piotr.janmaat piotr.janmaat@... Jun 19, 2008
        > tjdawe tjdawe@... Jun 9, 2008

        Good to see you here, too, Tom. Are most of the people on this group
        also members of Conculture? It seems to be about more or less the same
        topics, with much less activity.

        Ben
      • tomhchappell
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
          ---In geofiction@yahoogroups.com, "Ben Karnell" <bencarnehl@...> wrote:
          >[snip]
          >Good to see you here, too, Tom. Are most of the people on this group
          >also members of Conculture? It seems to be about more or less the same
          >topics, with much less activity.
          >Ben

          There's a lot of overlap, especially among the more active members.

          But we have a somewhat different outlook than the ConCulture Yahoo!
          eGroup; and than the ConWorlds phpBBoard, as well.

          We concern ourselves with fictional places. They needn't be entire
          worlds; they can be parts of "the real world". We may, or may not, get
          into their culture.

          A fictional island, or fictional nation-state, or fictional continent,
          or fictional mountain, or fictional river, or fictional city, or
          fictional town, will do.

          We've even had animate geographical features; wild streets that roamed
          from city to city, carnivorous houses, ambulatory mountains, etc.

          Care to try your hand?

          We'd all love to see.
        • habarakhe4
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 3, 2008
            wrote:

            > ---In geofiction@yahoogroups.com, "Ben Karnell" <bencarnehl@> wrote:
            > >[snip]
            > >Good to see you here, too, Tom. Are most of the people on this
            group
            > >also members of Conculture? It seems to be about more or less the
            same
            > >topics, with much less activity.
            > >Ben
            >
            > There's a lot of overlap, especially among the more active
            members.

            > But we have a somewhat different outlook than the ConCulture Yahoo!
            > eGroup; and than the ConWorlds phpBBoard, as well.
            >
            > We concern ourselves with fictional places. They needn't be entire
            > worlds; they can be parts of "the real world". We may, or may not,
            get
            > into their culture.
            >
            > A fictional island, or fictional nation-state, or fictional
            continent,
            > or fictional mountain, or fictional river, or fictional city, or
            > fictional town, will do.
            >
            > We've even had animate geographical features; wild streets that
            roamed
            > from city to city, carnivorous houses, ambulatory mountains, etc.
            >
            > Care to try your hand?
            >
            > We'd all love to see.

            On that note, if "wandering shops" moved in periodic fashion,
            couldn't you use them as a transit system? The cursed merchandise
            could prove hazardous, however.
          • tomhchappell
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 3, 2008
              ---In geofiction@yahoogroups.com, "habarakhe4" <Anthony.Miles@...>
              >wrote:
              >[snip]

              >On that note, if "wandering shops" moved in periodic fashion,
              >couldn't you use them as a transit system?

              I'd think so. But in stories they usually are neither controllable nor
              predictable. Or, if they are, they go "nowhere at all" for too long a
              time and don't stay in one place for a long enough time.
              (E.g. "Brigadoon", though that's a town instead of a shop. Gone for a
              hundred years, here for a day, gone for another century.)

              >The cursed merchandise could prove hazardous, however.

              What kind of curse _isn't_?

              Perhaps, "May you live in extremely boring, forgettable times"?
            • habarakhe4
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 8, 2008
                wrote:

                > ---In geofiction@yahoogroups.com, "habarakhe4" <Anthony.Miles@>
                > >wrote:
                > >[snip]
                >
                > >On that note, if "wandering shops" moved in periodic fashion,
                > >couldn't you use them as a transit system?
                >
                > I'd think so. But in stories they usually are neither controllable nor
                > predictable. Or, if they are, they go "nowhere at all" for too long a
                > time and don't stay in one place for a long enough time.
                > (E.g. "Brigadoon", though that's a town instead of a shop. Gone for a
                > hundred years, here for a day, gone for another century.)
                >
                > >The cursed merchandise could prove hazardous, however.
                >
                > What kind of curse _isn't_?
                >
                > Perhaps, "May you live in extremely boring, forgettable times"?

                I'm sure Ol' Scratch could work to make that curse effective.
              • tomhchappell
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 8, 2008
                  ---In geofiction@yahoogroups.com, "habarakhe4" <Anthony.Miles@...>
                  >wrote:
                  >---In geofiction@yahoogroups.com, "tomhchappell" <tomhchappell@>
                  >>wrote:
                  >>---In geofiction@yahoogroups.com, "habarakhe4" <Anthony.Miles@>
                  >>>wrote:
                  >>>[snip]
                  >>>The cursed merchandise could prove hazardous, however.
                  >>What kind of curse _isn't_?
                  >>Perhaps, "May you live in extremely boring, forgettable times"?
                  >I'm sure Ol' Scratch could work to make that curse effective.

                  Since "boring, forgettable times" rarely last long, this is effectively
                  a curse meaning "may you have a short life", isn't it?