Re: Genealogical event database

  • Methodius Hayes
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 12, 2006
      --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Blair" <pblair30@...> wrote:

      > --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hayes" <hayesstw@> wrote:
      > >
      > > On 11 Apr 2006 at 8:29, Paul Blair wrote:
      > >

      > > > Steve:
      > > >
      > > > Thanks.
      > > >
      > > > Still can't post - have grumbled at Yahoo.
      > >
      > > Good -- I've found that either some list postings are not being sent
      > out, or
      > > are not reasching me.
      > >
      > > > A possible revision attached. Pretty self-explanatory.
      > >
      > > Comments:
      > >
      > > I agree with putting the event type in a look-up list, which users
      > should be
      > > able to add to.
      > >
      > > But the person's role in the event should remain in the PersonEvent
      > link
      > > table, because many persons could have different roles in the event.
      > > Therefore it is not just a link table, but contaisn important data
      > in its own
      > > right.
      > >
      > > It's one of the reasons that I'm keen to get this stuff into a
      > relational
      > > database, because in my existing "flat file" database one would have
      > to put
      > > all that information in one field -- the person's name, their role
      > in the
      > > event, and so on.
      > >
      > > --
      > > Steve Hayes
      > > E-mail: shayes@
      > > Web: http://www.geocities.com/hayesstw/stevesig.htm
      > > Phone: 083-342-3563 or 012-333-6727
      > >

      > Not sure what's going on with Yahoo, but I seem to be able to connect
      > again. Sort of!
      >
      > I'll hang out for connecting "role" to "events"...!

      Still having a problem receiving your messages from the group at home
      -- am replying to this on the Web.

      The problem with connecting Role to Events is that there may be many
      roles for one event, with each person having a different role. Take
      marriage -- bride, bridegroom, bridesmade, best man, officiant,
      witness etc. These would then have to be repeating fields in "Events",
      and thus break Codd's law -- and how could you tell which person had
      which role? That is why I put them in the "PersonEvent" table.

      There may be another way of doing it, so if anyone knows it, please tell!

      Yes, there is the difficulty of how you can enter data when there is a
      "many to many" relationship.

      The obvious way would be to enter "Persons" and "Events" separately,
      and link them later.
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 12, 2006
        --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Methodius Hayes" <hayesstw@...> wrote:

        > --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Blair" <pblair30@> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hayes" <hayesstw@> wrote:

        > > > Good -- I've found that either some list postings are not being sent
        > > out, or
        > > > are not reasching me.

        > > > Comments:
        > > >
        > > > I agree with putting the event type in a look-up list, which users
        > > should be
        > > > able to add to.
        > > >
        > > > But the person's role in the event should remain in the PersonEvent
        > > link
        > > > table, because many persons could have different roles in the
        event.
        > > > Therefore it is not just a link table, but contaisn important data
        > > in its own
        > > > right.
        > > >
        > > > It's one of the reasons that I'm keen to get this stuff into a
        > > relational
        > > > database, because in my existing "flat file" database one would have
        > > to put
        > > > all that information in one field -- the person's name, their role
        > > in the
        > > > event, and so on.
        > > >
        > > > --
        > > > Steve Hayes
        > > > E-mail: shayes@
        > > > Web: http://www.geocities.com/hayesstw/stevesig.htm
        > > > Phone: 083-342-3563 or 012-333-6727
        > > >

        > > Not sure what's going on with Yahoo, but I seem to be able to connect
        > > again. Sort of!
        > >
        > > I'll hang out for connecting "role" to "events"...!
        >
        > Still having a problem receiving your messages from the group at home
        > -- am replying to this on the Web.
        >
        > The problem with connecting Role to Events is that there may be many
        > roles for one event, with each person having a different role. Take
        > marriage -- bride, bridegroom, bridesmade, best man, officiant,
        > witness etc. These would then have to be repeating fields in "Events",
        > and thus break Codd's law -- and how could you tell which person had
        > which role? That is why I put them in the "PersonEvent" table.
        >
        > There may be another way of doing it, so if anyone knows it, please
        tell!

        > Yes, there is the difficulty of how you can enter data when there is a
        > "many to many" relationship.
        >
        > The obvious way would be to enter "Persons" and "Events" separately,
        > and link them later.

        I think the problem was partly due to me - have sorted things out, and
        (hopefully) this will work. Let me know if you don't receive it :-)