(Fwd) Re: [gensoft] Genealogical event database

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11, 2006
      I sent this to the YahooGroups list, but it does not seem to have gone out --
      or if it di, I did not receive a copy of it, so am resending it.

      From: Steve Hayes <hayesstw@...>
      To: Paul Blair <pblair30@...>, gensoft@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [gensoft] Genealogical event database
      Send reply to: shayes@...
      Date sent: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 05:26:07 +0200

      On 11 Apr 2006 at 8:29, Paul Blair wrote:

      > Steve:
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Still can't post - have grumbled at Yahoo.

      Good -- I've found that either some list postings are not being sent out, or
      are not reasching me.

      > A possible revision attached. Pretty self-explanatory.

      Comments:

      I agree with putting the event type in a look-up list, which users should be
      able to add to.

      But the person's role in the event should remain in the PersonEvent link
      table, because many persons could have different roles in the event.
      Therefore
      it is not just a link table, but contaisn important data in its own right.

      It's one of the reasons that I'm keen to get this stuff into a relational
      database, because in my existing "flat file" database one would have to put
      all that information in one field -- the person's name, their role in the
      event, and so on.