Genealogical event database

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 9 9:27 AM
      I've been revising my design for a genealogical event database, and have
      uploaded the structure of the revised version as a PDF file, for comment from
      anyone interested.

      Web: http://www.geocities.com/hayesstw/stevesig.htm
      Phone: 083-342-3563 or 012-333-6727
    • John Topley
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 10 2:36 AM
        Looks interesting, Steve. What's the RIN field?

        Cheers,

        John

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 10 2:48 AM
          On 10 Apr 2006 at 9:36, John Topley wrote:

          > Looks interesting, Steve. What's the RIN field?

          For entering the RIN of the person in your lineage-linked genealogy program,
          so that you can identify the person.

          Any suggestions for improvement?

          Web: http://www.geocities.com/hayesstw/stevesig.htm
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 10 8:29 PM
            On 11 Apr 2006 at 8:29, Paul Blair wrote:

            > Steve:
            >
            > Thanks.
            >
            > Still can't post - have grumbled at Yahoo.

            Good -- I've found that either some list postings are not being sent out, or
            are not reasching me.

            > A possible revision attached. Pretty self-explanatory.

            Comments:

            I agree with putting the event type in a look-up list, which users should be
            able to add to.

            But the person's role in the event should remain in the PersonEvent link
            table, because many persons could have different roles in the event.
            Therefore it is not just a link table, but contaisn important data in its own
            right.

            It's one of the reasons that I'm keen to get this stuff into a relational
            database, because in my existing "flat file" database one would have to put
            all that information in one field -- the person's name, their role in the
            event, and so on.

            Web: http://www.geocities.com/hayesstw/stevesig.htm
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 10 10:50 PM

              > On 11 Apr 2006 at 8:29, Paul Blair wrote:
              >

              > > Steve:
              > >
              > > Thanks.
              > >
              > > Still can't post - have grumbled at Yahoo.
              >
              > Good -- I've found that either some list postings are not being sent
              out, or
              > are not reasching me.
              >
              > > A possible revision attached. Pretty self-explanatory.
              >
              > Comments:
              >
              > I agree with putting the event type in a look-up list, which users
              should be
              > able to add to.
              >
              > But the person's role in the event should remain in the PersonEvent
              link
              > table, because many persons could have different roles in the event.
              > Therefore it is not just a link table, but contaisn important data
              in its own
              > right.
              >
              > It's one of the reasons that I'm keen to get this stuff into a
              relational
              > database, because in my existing "flat file" database one would have
              to put
              > all that information in one field -- the person's name, their role
              in the
              > event, and so on.
              >
              > --
              > Steve Hayes
              > E-mail: shayes@...
              > Web: http://www.geocities.com/hayesstw/stevesig.htm
              > Phone: 083-342-3563 or 012-333-6727

              Not sure what's going on with Yahoo, but I seem to be able to connect
              again. Sort of!

              I'll hang out for connecting "role" to "events"...!

              Paul
            • John Topley
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 11 3:56 AM
                > On 10 Apr 2006 at 9:36, John Topley wrote:
                >
                > > Looks interesting, Steve. What's the RIN field?
                >
                > For entering the RIN of the person in your lineage-linked
                genealogy program,
                > so that you can identify the person.
                >
                > Any suggestions for improvement?
                >
                > --
                > Steve Hayes
                > E-mail: shayes@...
                > Web: http://www.geocities.com/hayesstw/stevesig.htm
                > Phone: 083-342-3563 or 012-333-6727

                I'm aiming to have something for you to try towards the end of the
                year that should do what you want in terms of an event database.

                John
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 11 11:50 PM
                  On 11 Apr 2006 at 10:56, John Topley wrote:

                  > I'm aiming to have something for you to try towards the end of the
                  > year that should do what you want in terms of an event database.

                  I was hoping to discuss the data structure for such a thing here, to get the
                  ideas of other genealogists to see what they would find most useful, and
                  software fundis, to see what would be most practicable.

                  I really would like comments on the proposed structure, and on whether it
                  would work, ways it could be improved, and so on.

                  Web: http://www.geocities.com/hayesstw/stevesig.htm
                  Phone: 083-342-3563 or 012-333-6727
                • Methodius Hayes
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 12 12:08 AM
                    --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Blair" <pblair30@...> wrote:

                    > --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hayes" <hayesstw@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > On 11 Apr 2006 at 8:29, Paul Blair wrote:
                    > >

                    > > > Steve:
                    > > >
                    > > > Thanks.
                    > > >
                    > > > Still can't post - have grumbled at Yahoo.
                    > >
                    > > Good -- I've found that either some list postings are not being sent
                    > out, or
                    > > are not reasching me.
                    > >
                    > > > A possible revision attached. Pretty self-explanatory.
                    > >
                    > > Comments:
                    > >
                    > > I agree with putting the event type in a look-up list, which users
                    > should be
                    > > able to add to.
                    > >
                    > > But the person's role in the event should remain in the PersonEvent
                    > link
                    > > table, because many persons could have different roles in the event.
                    > > Therefore it is not just a link table, but contaisn important data
                    > in its own
                    > > right.
                    > >
                    > > It's one of the reasons that I'm keen to get this stuff into a
                    > relational
                    > > database, because in my existing "flat file" database one would have
                    > to put
                    > > all that information in one field -- the person's name, their role
                    > in the
                    > > event, and so on.
                    > >
                    > > --
                    > > Steve Hayes
                    > > E-mail: shayes@
                    > > Web: http://www.geocities.com/hayesstw/stevesig.htm
                    > > Phone: 083-342-3563 or 012-333-6727
                    > >

                    > Not sure what's going on with Yahoo, but I seem to be able to connect
                    > again. Sort of!
                    >
                    > I'll hang out for connecting "role" to "events"...!

                    Still having a problem receiving your messages from the group at home
                    -- am replying to this on the Web.

                    The problem with connecting Role to Events is that there may be many
                    roles for one event, with each person having a different role. Take
                    marriage -- bride, bridegroom, bridesmade, best man, officiant,
                    witness etc. These would then have to be repeating fields in "Events",
                    and thus break Codd's law -- and how could you tell which person had
                    which role? That is why I put them in the "PersonEvent" table.

                    There may be another way of doing it, so if anyone knows it, please tell!

                    Yes, there is the difficulty of how you can enter data when there is a
                    "many to many" relationship.

                    The obvious way would be to enter "Persons" and "Events" separately,
                    and link them later.
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 12 2:45 AM
                      --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Methodius Hayes" <hayesstw@...> wrote:

                      > --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Blair" <pblair30@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hayes" <hayesstw@> wrote:

                      > > > Good -- I've found that either some list postings are not being sent
                      > > out, or
                      > > > are not reasching me.

                      > > > Comments:
                      > > >
                      > > > I agree with putting the event type in a look-up list, which users
                      > > should be
                      > > > able to add to.
                      > > >
                      > > > But the person's role in the event should remain in the PersonEvent
                      > > link
                      > > > table, because many persons could have different roles in the
                      event.
                      > > > Therefore it is not just a link table, but contaisn important data
                      > > in its own
                      > > > right.
                      > > >
                      > > > It's one of the reasons that I'm keen to get this stuff into a
                      > > relational
                      > > > database, because in my existing "flat file" database one would have
                      > > to put
                      > > > all that information in one field -- the person's name, their role
                      > > in the
                      > > > event, and so on.
                      > > >
                      > > > --
                      > > > Steve Hayes
                      > > > E-mail: shayes@
                      > > > Web: http://www.geocities.com/hayesstw/stevesig.htm
                      > > > Phone: 083-342-3563 or 012-333-6727
                      > > >

                      > > Not sure what's going on with Yahoo, but I seem to be able to connect
                      > > again. Sort of!
                      > >
                      > > I'll hang out for connecting "role" to "events"...!
                      >
                      > Still having a problem receiving your messages from the group at home
                      > -- am replying to this on the Web.
                      >
                      > The problem with connecting Role to Events is that there may be many
                      > roles for one event, with each person having a different role. Take
                      > marriage -- bride, bridegroom, bridesmade, best man, officiant,
                      > witness etc. These would then have to be repeating fields in "Events",
                      > and thus break Codd's law -- and how could you tell which person had
                      > which role? That is why I put them in the "PersonEvent" table.
                      >
                      > There may be another way of doing it, so if anyone knows it, please
                      tell!

                      > Yes, there is the difficulty of how you can enter data when there is a
                      > "many to many" relationship.
                      >
                      > The obvious way would be to enter "Persons" and "Events" separately,
                      > and link them later.

                      I think the problem was partly due to me - have sorted things out, and
                      (hopefully) this will work. Let me know if you don't receive it :-)