Re: [gensoft] Event Database: Top Five Features

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 9, 2006
      On 7 Mar 2006 at 20:27, John Topley wrote:

      > What are the top five features that you'd like to see in an event database?

      I've posted a sample file in Access, which should give some idea of what I'm
      looking for.

      It's very crude, as most of my relational database experience has been in
      Paradox, and Access comes with very little documentation. I can get as far as
      designing tables, but I find the forms too difficult.

      But it can give you an idea of the kind of thing I'm looking for. I uploaded
      the file for others to comment, suggests imporovements and so on -- a half-
      baked idea that others can help to bake.

      Is there a way to "empty" tables in Access, as there was in Paradox?

      Web: http://www.geocities.com/hayesstw/stevesig.htm
      Phone: 083-342-3563 or 012-333-6727
    • Chad Hanna
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 10, 2006
        In message <441141AD.13926.76DC872@localhost>, Steve Hayes
        <hayesstw@...> writes
        :snip

        >Is there a way to "empty" tables in Access, as there was in Paradox?

        Set up a query to return all rows and then convert it into a delete
        query.

        --
        Chad Hanna
        IT Manager Berkshire Family History Society www.berksfhs.org.uk
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 10, 2006
          Thanks Steve, I'll take a look this weekend.

          Cheers,

          John
        • ray_murphy aus
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 6, 2009
            --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, Paul Blair <pblair30@...> wrote:

            > At 01:02 pm 8-03-2006, you wrote:
            > >That question should generate a good set of choices.
            > >

            > >AOL/AIM -- DDavis5310, Yahoo - - DickDavis60, MSN - - FDDavis53
            > >

            > >What are the top five features that you'd like to see in an event database?

            > There are 3 that spring to mind....and this is stating the bleeding
            > obvious. Assuming that the two main stream of info are event and
            > people, we need to be able to:
            > 1. relate events to other events
            > 2. relate people to other people
            > 3. relate people to events, and events to people
            >
            > And, of course, dates/timelines have to be mixed in somehow.
            >
            > Then it gets harder...
            >
            > Paul
            > Australia

            RM: [3 years + 9 months later] - The meaning of those suggestions probably won't become clear until some real-life testing is done with the event-program that I've just got working or others like it. We'll need to come up with some specific requests or ideas that might:
            * solve existing problems,
            * point to other possible paths to follow,
            * reduce time manually assembling any of the data.