Event Database: Top Five Features

  • John Topley
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 7, 2006
      What are the top five features that you'd like to see in an event database?

      John
    • Dick Davis
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 7, 2006

        That question should generate a good set of choices.

        AOL/AIM -- DDavis5310, Yahoo - - DickDavis60, MSN - - FDDavis53

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 7, 2006
          There are 3 that spring to mind....and this is stating the bleeding
          obvious. Assuming that the two main stream of info are event and
          people, we need to be able to:
          1. relate events to other events
          2. relate people to other people
          3. relate people to events, and events to people

          And, of course, dates/timelines have to be mixed in somehow.

          Then it gets harder...

          Paul
          Australia

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 7, 2006
            On 8 Mar 2006 at 13:17, Paul Blair wrote:

            > There are 3 that spring to mind....and this is stating the bleeding
            > obvious. Assuming that the two main stream of info are event and
            > people, we need to be able to:
            > 1. relate events to other events
            > 2. relate people to other people
            > 3. relate people to events, and events to people
            >
            > And, of course, dates/timelines have to be mixed in somehow.
            >
            > Then it gets harder...

            And events to sources
            And events to locations

            Web: http://www.geocities.com/hayesstw/stevesig.htm
            Phone: 083-342-3563 or 012-333-6727
          • John Topley
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
              > And events to sources
              > And events to locations

              I should point out that I'm a software developer rather than a
              genealogist, but I am interested in developing software that will be
              of benefit to genealogists, so be gentle with me ;-)

              What features would you like to see around source management?

              Thanks,

              John
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 9, 2006
                On 7 Mar 2006 at 20:27, John Topley wrote:

                > What are the top five features that you'd like to see in an event database?

                I've posted a sample file in Access, which should give some idea of what I'm
                looking for.

                It's very crude, as most of my relational database experience has been in
                Paradox, and Access comes with very little documentation. I can get as far as
                designing tables, but I find the forms too difficult.

                But it can give you an idea of the kind of thing I'm looking for. I uploaded
                the file for others to comment, suggests imporovements and so on -- a half-
                baked idea that others can help to bake.

                Is there a way to "empty" tables in Access, as there was in Paradox?

                Web: http://www.geocities.com/hayesstw/stevesig.htm
                Phone: 083-342-3563 or 012-333-6727
              • Chad Hanna
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 10, 2006
                  In message <441141AD.13926.76DC872@localhost>, Steve Hayes
                  <hayesstw@...> writes
                  :snip

                  >Is there a way to "empty" tables in Access, as there was in Paradox?

                  Set up a query to return all rows and then convert it into a delete
                  query.

                  --
                  Chad Hanna
                  IT Manager Berkshire Family History Society www.berksfhs.org.uk
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 10, 2006
                    Thanks Steve, I'll take a look this weekend.

                    Cheers,

                    John
                  • ray_murphy aus
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 6, 2009
                      --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, Paul Blair <pblair30@...> wrote:

                      > At 01:02 pm 8-03-2006, you wrote:
                      > >That question should generate a good set of choices.
                      > >

                      > >AOL/AIM -- DDavis5310, Yahoo - - DickDavis60, MSN - - FDDavis53
                      > >

                      > >What are the top five features that you'd like to see in an event database?

                      > There are 3 that spring to mind....and this is stating the bleeding
                      > obvious. Assuming that the two main stream of info are event and
                      > people, we need to be able to:
                      > 1. relate events to other events
                      > 2. relate people to other people
                      > 3. relate people to events, and events to people
                      >
                      > And, of course, dates/timelines have to be mixed in somehow.
                      >
                      > Then it gets harder...
                      >
                      > Paul
                      > Australia

                      RM: [3 years + 9 months later] - The meaning of those suggestions probably won't become clear until some real-life testing is done with the event-program that I've just got working or others like it. We'll need to come up with some specific requests or ideas that might:
                      * solve existing problems,
                      * point to other possible paths to follow,
                      * reduce time manually assembling any of the data.