Re: Family Tree Screen Shots

  • his_jadedness
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 28, 2006
      --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Renee Zamora" <harrisena@...> wrote:

      > Beta 2 on Family Tree is estimated to start late spring. They
      give no date
      > for when it is officially released to the world. I guess you could
      say it
      > competes with Ancestry but Family Tree will let you merge all the
      records it
      > has on Ancestral File, Pedigree Resource File and the IGI - that's
      something
      > Ancestry doesn't have access to.
      >
      > One of the wonderful features of Family Tree is the ability to
      dispute
      > information and document reasons for that dispute. You can merge
      people and
      > retain all the information from all individuals merged. You can
      even
      > un-merge people you have merged together. Nothing is lost and you
      can add
      > so much to the information that it there. It has a note field and
      you can
      > document you sources on events.
      >
      > Renee Zamora
      > www.harrisena.com

      About that note field to document sources.. it will be mandatory
      that sources are provided- right?

      Otherwise the entire thing will just be more dreck cluttering the
      internet...IMHO
    • Kerry Raymond
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2006

        > About that note field to document sources.. it will be mandatory
        > that sources are provided- right?

        > Otherwise the entire
        thing will just be more dreck cluttering the
        > internet...IMHO

        While I am all in favour of people including their sources, I think one has to accept that many people don't do this. Some of them simply don't record their sources at all, while some of them record them but on paper not in their database.

        Just because a person doesn't record their sources, it doesn't mean that their information is wrong, simply that its accuracy is harder to assess. I've had many valuable leads from people who didn't include their source information. Finding a source to confirm such a piece of information is much easier than finding that information in the first place. For example, here in Queensland, the privacy rules restrict access to death indexes so it is be hard to find deaths in the past 40 years. However, if someone tells you a death date, it is relatively easy to confirm it using sources such as death/funeral notices, but virtually impossible to find the date of death using death/funeral notices (as these are not indexed).

        I'll take whatever information I can get, whether it's sourced or not. I'd leave it up to each individual to decide if unsourced material should be used or dismissed, as they prefer.

        Kerry

      • Renee Zamora
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2006
          The note field and source field are two separate things.  They plan on having Family Tree request the source information any time you add an event to the person's life.  So if you add any information it will teach you you must document where it came from.  Hopefully it will teach people the correct way of doing genealogy.

          Renee Zamora

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 1, 2006
            On 1 Mar 2006 at 23:19, Kerry Raymond wrote:

            > I'll take whatever information I can get, whether it's sourced or not. I'd
            > leave it up to each individual to decide if unsourced material should be used
            > or dismissed, as they prefer.

            If I put information on the Web, I don't usually include sources. If a person
            finds a family connection, then they can get in touch with me and we can
            exchange information, including sources.

            There are many data leeches out there who like to take, take, take, but never
            give. There's one person who's been badgeting me to give information, but
            won't tell me it's name, or its family line to the person it claims to be
            descended from. So I don't put *everything* I have on the web, but enough for
            people to see if there is a possible connection. But if the person *is*
            related, then I want to know who they are.

            Web: http://www.geocities.com/hayesstw/stevesig.htm