Family Tree Screen Shots

  • Renee Zamora
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 24, 2006
      I put on "Renee's Genealogy Blog" a pdf with screen shots of Family Tree.
      If your interested in what it looks like, in beta 1, here's the link:
      http://rzamor1.livejournal.com/2006/02/24/

      Renee Zamora
      www.harrisena.com
    • John Topley
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 26, 2006
        What is this software? Do you have to pay to use it?

        John

        --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Renee Zamora" <harrisena@...> wrote:

        > I put on "Renee's Genealogy Blog" a pdf with screen shots of Family Tree.
        > If your interested in what it looks like, in beta 1, here's the link:
        > http://rzamor1.livejournal.com/2006/02/24/
        >
        > Renee Zamora
        > www.harrisena.com

      • Dick Davis
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 26, 2006

          Same here – went to the blog but could not figure it out either. Can you provide some more information on this?

          AOL/AIM -- DDavis5310, Yahoo - - DickDavis60, MSN - - FDDavis53

          What is this software? Do you have to pay to use it?

          John

          --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com , "Renee Zamora" <harrisena@...> wrote:

          > I put on "Renee's Genealogy Blog" a pdf with screen shots of Family Tree.
          > If your interested in what it looks like, in beta 1, here's the link:
          > http://rzamor1.livejournal.com/2006/02/24/
          >
          > Renee Zamora
          > www.harrisena.com

        • Heather Stovold
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 26, 2006
            That is the beta for the new software the LDS church is putting in the internet in the future...  I believe the person that posted this originally posted on legacy and got blasted.

            I don't know a lot about it, except that it is replacing Ancestral File and the thing (can't remember the name) that replaced it - is setup to allow cooberation including handling disputed facts - and will eventually have information from other sources....

            It also supports and actually encourages people documenting their submissions (the very weak point in Ancestral File....)

            hope this helps a bit.....  I think there is more to it than I've said here....

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 26, 2006

              Heather thanks for the clarification. Is there a way that we can see or get some more information on what is there? I went to the LDS site, but did not find anything. I know, like everyone does, that there is some missed/incorrect information with the LDS records and for years I have just used them as a lead to finding information my ancestors.

              Also, does anyone use the program Custodian? I downloaded it and have been playing around with the program. It is limited in several ways as well as the interface is old. I have been part of the beta testing for the new version of Clooz. But I am sure that there other other programs out there that can be used or can be addons to Clooz. From what I have seen/experienced with the beta testing of Clooz is there is a good interface and a good interaction with the various points of data and files that are created. I like it much better than the older version that is out there now – hopefully the new version will be out in a couple of weeks and I can start really using it to keep my files straight.

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 27, 2006
                On 26 Feb 2006 at 19:36, Dick Davis wrote:

                > Also, does anyone use the program Custodian? I downloaded it and have been
                > playing around with the program. It is limited in several ways as well as the
                > interface is old. I have been part of the beta testing for the new version of
                > Clooz. But I am sure that there other other programs out there that can be
                > used or can be addons to Clooz. From what I have seen/experienced with the
                > beta testing of Clooz is there is a good interface and a good interaction with
                > the various points of data and files that are created. I like it much better
                > than the older version that is out there now - hopefully the new version will
                > be out in a couple of weeks and I can start really using it to keep my files
                > straight.

                I played around a bit with demo versions of Clooz and Custodian, but not
                really enough with the former.

                Custodian seemed pretty expensive for what it claimed to be able to do, and
                kept its data in a strange place, so I lost it all when I upgraded my
                computer. .

                I didn';t really play with Clooz long enough to be able to see what it can
                do, and will wait for the new version.

                More recently I've been playing with Genota, a program for organising
                research notes rather than sources (like Custodian). I haven't been using it
                long enough to really test its capabilities, but so far it seems quite
                useful, though the lack of capability of entering patrial dates is a
                nuisance.

                Web: http://www.geocities.com/hayesstw/stevesig.htm
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 27, 2006
                  On 26 Feb 2006 at 19:36, Dick Davis wrote:

                  > Heather thanks for the clarification. Is there a way that we can see or get
                  > some more information on what is there? I went to the LDS site, but did not
                  > find anything. I know, like everyone does, that there is some missed/incorrect
                  > information with the LDS records and for years I have just used them as a lead
                  > to finding information my ancestors.

                  The screen shots really do not say enough about what it does, and I found
                  them quite small and hard to read.

                  I gather it is some sort of upgrade of the Pedigree Resource File, but may be
                  wildly wrong.; No one can see it yet, as it is still being tested with LDS
                  members only.
                  .
                  Web: http://www.geocities.com/hayesstw/stevesig.htm
                  Phone: 083-342-3563 or 012-333-6727
                • Renee Zamora
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 27, 2006
                    This "software" Family Tree will be available from the LDS for free on their
                    website. It's still in beta test, beta 2 should be coming up at the end of
                    spring. Family Tree will be on the website and not anything you have to
                    download - you will need the internet to access it.

                    Renee Zamora

                    What is this software? Do you have to pay to use it?

                    John

                    --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Renee Zamora" <harrisena@...> wrote:

                    > I put on "Renee's Genealogy Blog" a pdf with screen shots of Family Tree.
                    > If your interested in what it looks like, in beta 1, here's the link:
                    > http://rzamor1.livejournal.com/2006/02/24/
                    >
                    > Renee Zamora
                    > www.harrisena.com

                  • Dick Davis
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 27, 2006

                      So, Is this competing with the similar program that has been made available from Ancestry.com?

                      Also, with this LDS Family Tree, how will there be able to be challenges or corrections to the current records that are being held that have inaccurate information that has been submitted either for storage with the Church or for Temple ordinances?

                      What is the time frame that has been targeted for this?

                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 27, 2006
                        Beta 2 on Family Tree is estimated to start late spring. They give no date
                        for when it is officially released to the world. I guess you could say it
                        competes with Ancestry but Family Tree will let you merge all the records it
                        has on Ancestral File, Pedigree Resource File and the IGI - that's something
                        Ancestry doesn't have access to.

                        One of the wonderful features of Family Tree is the ability to dispute
                        information and document reasons for that dispute. You can merge people and
                        retain all the information from all individuals merged. You can even
                        un-merge people you have merged together. Nothing is lost and you can add
                        so much to the information that it there. It has a note field and you can
                        document you sources on events.

                        Renee Zamora
                        www.harrisena.com

                        > So, Is this competing with the similar program that has been made
                        > available from Ancestry.com?
                        >

                        > Also, with this LDS Family Tree, how will there be able to be challenges
                        > or corrections to the current records that are being held
                        > that have inaccurate information that has been submitted either for
                        > storage with the Church or for Temple ordinances?
                        >

                        > What is the time frame that has been targeted for this?
                        >

                        > AOL/AIM -- DDavis5310, Yahoo - - DickDavis60, MSN - - FDDavis53
                        >
                        > _____

                      • Renee Zamora
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 27, 2006
                          I've written two article on it
                          New Family Tree - Jan 9, 2006 http://rzamor1.livejournal.com/2006/01/09/
                          Beta 1 for Family Tree Ends - Feb 6, 2006
                          http://rzamor1.livejournal.com/2006/02/06/
                          I hope this helps.

                          Renee Zamora
                          www.harrisena.com

                          > Same here - went to the blog but could not figure it out either. Can you
                          > provide some more information on this?
                          >

                          > AOL/AIM -- DDavis5310, Yahoo - - DickDavis60, MSN - - FDDavis53
                          >
                          > _____

                        • his_jadedness
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 28, 2006
                            --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Renee Zamora" <harrisena@...> wrote:

                            > Beta 2 on Family Tree is estimated to start late spring. They
                            give no date
                            > for when it is officially released to the world. I guess you could
                            say it
                            > competes with Ancestry but Family Tree will let you merge all the
                            records it
                            > has on Ancestral File, Pedigree Resource File and the IGI - that's
                            something
                            > Ancestry doesn't have access to.
                            >
                            > One of the wonderful features of Family Tree is the ability to
                            dispute
                            > information and document reasons for that dispute. You can merge
                            people and
                            > retain all the information from all individuals merged. You can
                            even
                            > un-merge people you have merged together. Nothing is lost and you
                            can add
                            > so much to the information that it there. It has a note field and
                            you can
                            > document you sources on events.
                            >
                            > Renee Zamora
                            > www.harrisena.com

                            About that note field to document sources.. it will be mandatory
                            that sources are provided- right?

                            Otherwise the entire thing will just be more dreck cluttering the
                            internet...IMHO
                          • Kerry Raymond
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 1, 2006

                              > About that note field to document sources.. it will be mandatory
                              > that sources are provided- right?

                              > Otherwise the entire
                              thing will just be more dreck cluttering the
                              > internet...IMHO

                              While I am all in favour of people including their sources, I think one has to accept that many people don't do this. Some of them simply don't record their sources at all, while some of them record them but on paper not in their database.

                              Just because a person doesn't record their sources, it doesn't mean that their information is wrong, simply that its accuracy is harder to assess. I've had many valuable leads from people who didn't include their source information. Finding a source to confirm such a piece of information is much easier than finding that information in the first place. For example, here in Queensland, the privacy rules restrict access to death indexes so it is be hard to find deaths in the past 40 years. However, if someone tells you a death date, it is relatively easy to confirm it using sources such as death/funeral notices, but virtually impossible to find the date of death using death/funeral notices (as these are not indexed).

                              I'll take whatever information I can get, whether it's sourced or not. I'd leave it up to each individual to decide if unsourced material should be used or dismissed, as they prefer.

                              Kerry

                            • Renee Zamora
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 1, 2006
                                The note field and source field are two separate things.  They plan on having Family Tree request the source information any time you add an event to the person's life.  So if you add any information it will teach you you must document where it came from.  Hopefully it will teach people the correct way of doing genealogy.

                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 1, 2006
                                  On 1 Mar 2006 at 23:19, Kerry Raymond wrote:

                                  > I'll take whatever information I can get, whether it's sourced or not. I'd
                                  > leave it up to each individual to decide if unsourced material should be used
                                  > or dismissed, as they prefer.

                                  If I put information on the Web, I don't usually include sources. If a person
                                  finds a family connection, then they can get in touch with me and we can
                                  exchange information, including sources.

                                  There are many data leeches out there who like to take, take, take, but never
                                  give. There's one person who's been badgeting me to give information, but
                                  won't tell me it's name, or its family line to the person it claims to be
                                  descended from. So I don't put *everything* I have on the web, but enough for
                                  people to see if there is a possible connection. But if the person *is*
                                  related, then I want to know who they are.

                                  Web: http://www.geocities.com/hayesstw/stevesig.htm