Event Database, a twist...

  • Olds-Wills-Hodges-Harris
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 15, 2006
      A database useful to a world of genealogists would be one to catalog
      source holdings. An off-the-shelf program coming close to this is
      Clooz. But it falls short in many respects, mostly because it tries to
      do more than is needed.

      I would be happy to work with anyone or team of people in developing the
      framework for the database cataloging system. If you can picture the
      system used to catalog holdings at most public libraries (either Dewey
      Decimal or Library of Congress), the system designed for cataloging
      genealogy "holdings" would be similar. The basic premise rests on
      creating classifications (or categories) of holdings, assigning a unique
      number to each holding, and indexing the holdings. Just as with a
      library book call number and catalog system.

      I have 30+ years of professional record management experience and have
      used a system described above for at least 25 of those years for my
      genealogy holdings.

      If you need additional information to decide whether this project is
      worth pursuing, or just want some clarification, fire a note back. This
      would be a fun team project and one sorely needed by thousands of
      genealogists around the world.

      Thanks for considering the idea.
      Gary
      near St Louis MO USA
    • Dick Davis
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 16, 2006

        I would be interested in knowing more either on list or off list as to how you see that Clooz is doing more than needed. I have had the opportunity to participate in the next version, and am curious. If the program is doing more than needed, that why not just not use those features/portions of the program that are not applicable to what you want to do.

        Also, I don’t understand the rationale in the second paragraph as to what benefit duplicating catalogue holdings would be. As far as assigned unit holding numbers, Clooz using the personal File ID which is exactly that and then allows the linking of the holding (census, correspondence, photos, etc.) to the persons that are in the database.

        Again, if this is better to be off list, then ok – but either way, drop a note and explain more on this subject/topic.

              Messengers:     AIM (AOL) – Ddavis5310                   Yahoo – DDavis5310                                    MSN – FDDavis53

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 16, 2006
          I'll keep the reply short and generic so not to get into the debate
          on specific features of other programs on this list and will reply
          more specifically in a personal note.

          To be most useful programs should offer some degree of flexibility
          (e.g., user defined options) to add/subtract fields or modify report
          layouts, and not unnecessarily clutter the program with unalterable
          fields such as "Irish Valuation Record" or other such of limited
          interest.

          What I am proposing is a generic and simple cataloging system
          written with a program available to all through common distribution
          channels, such as MS-Access, and capable of being modified by anyone
          familiar with the program.

          Down the road I would foresee approaching Legacy to encourage adding
          this cataloging system as a direct link feature to their genealogy
          program.

          As for duplicating, I don't understand where that comes into play.
          I absolutely do not agree with duplicating anything if possible. If
          you mean assigning a file number for the repository item (document,
          photograph, heirloom, whatever), this does not duplicate anything.

          Gary

          --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Davis" <Dick.davis@...> wrote:

          > I would be interested in knowing more either on list or off list
          as to how you see that Clooz is doing more than needed. I have had
          > the opportunity to participate in the next version, and am
          curious. If the program is doing more than needed, that why not just
          not
          > use those features/portions of the program that are not applicable
          to what you want to do.

          > Also, I don't understand the rationale in the second paragraph as
          to what benefit duplicating catalogue holdings would be. As far as
          > assigned unit holding numbers, Clooz using the personal File ID
          which is exactly that and then allows the linking of the holding
          > (census, correspondence, photos, etc.) to the persons that are in
          the database.

          > Again, if this is better to be off list, then ok - but either way,
          drop a note and explain more on this subject/topic.

          > Messengers: AIM (AOL) - Ddavis5310
          Yahoo - DDavis5310 MSN - FDDavis53

          > _____

          Behalf Of Olds-Wills-Hodges-Harris
          > Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 9:16 PM
          > To: gensoft@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [gensoft] Event Database, a twist...
          >

          > A database useful to a world of genealogists would be one to
          catalog
          > source holdings. An off-the-shelf program coming close to this is
          > Clooz. But it falls short in many respects, mostly because it
          tries to
          > do more than is needed.
          >
          > I would be happy to work with anyone or team of people in
          developing the
          > framework for the database cataloging system. If you can picture
          the
          > system used to catalog holdings at most public libraries (either
          Dewey
          > Decimal or Library of Congress), the system designed for cataloging
          > genealogy "holdings" would be similar. The basic premise rests on
          > creating classifications (or categories) of holdings, assigning a
          unique
          > number to each holding, and indexing the holdings. Just as with a
          > library book call number and catalog system.
          >
          > I have 30+ years of professional record management experience and
          have
          > used a system described above for at least 25 of those years for my
          > genealogy holdings.
          >
          > If you need additional information to decide whether this project
          is
          > worth pursuing, or just want some clarification, fire a note
          back. This
          > would be a fun team project and one sorely needed by thousands of
          > genealogists around the world.
          >
          > Thanks for considering the idea.
          > Gary
          > near St Louis MO USA

          > Genealogy
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Genealogy+program&w1=Genealogy+program&w2=Genealogical+researc
          h&w3=Genealogy+software&w4=Softwa
          > re+development&c=4&s=100&.sig=d3kHbisqeEh-gCr7RhasmQ> program
          >
          > Genealogical
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Genealogical+research&w1=Genealogy+program&w2=Genealogical+res
          earch&w3=Genealogy+software&w4=So
          > ftware+development&c=4&s=100&.sig=9ejo3fnfPuwKLNBa1yBEqw>
          research

          > Genealogy
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Genealogy+software&w1=Genealogy+program&w2=Genealogical+resear
          ch&w3=Genealogy+software&w4=Softw
          > are+development&c=4&s=100&.sig=kJcjlZJqkaJefAv7mO-sNg> software
          >

          > Software
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Software+development&w1=Genealogy+program&w2=Genealogical+rese

          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gensoft> " on the web.

          > _____

        • John Topley
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 16, 2006
            Do you favour a taxonomy over a "folksonomy"
            (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folksonomy)?

            John

            BTW Does anybody know how I can stop my full e-mail address appearing
            in each post I make?
          • Gary
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 16, 2006
              By nature taxonomy. Neither as complex in this context.

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 16, 2006
                On 16 Feb 2006 at 21:54, John Topley wrote:

                > Do you favour a taxonomy over a "folksonomy"
                > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folksonomy)?

                One could have either. But for the former one would need an agreed and
                published thesaurus, and that would be difficult.

                Web: http://www.geocities.com/hayesstw/stevesig.htm