Re: [gensoft] Last chance to get PAF

  • Sherry
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 11, 2013
      From their website

      "Advances in technology, strong alternatives from third parties, and
      the need to focus on the latest FamilySearch initiatives have
      diminished the need for PAF as part of the FamilySearch offering."
      https://familysearch.org/PAF

      Sherry

      Quoting Dave Hinz :

      What a shame.  Such a wonderful program for decades.  I wonder what
      motivates this decision.

      On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 7:42 PM, Steve Hayes <hayesstw@...> wrote:

      PAF is being discontinued from 15 July 2013.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 11, 2013
        On 11 Jul 2013 at 21:06, Dave Hinz wrote:

        > What a shame. Such a wonderful program for decades. I wonder what
        > motivates this decision.

        I suspect that they would have had to do a major rewrite to accommodate the
        new FamilySearch family tree links. PAF has provision to record Ancestral
        File numbers, but the new FamilySearch numbers are different.

        So they seem to have just made the API available to other softeware
        developers.

        Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com