Re: [gensoft] Last chance to get PAF

  • Dave Hinz
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 11, 2013
      What a shame.  Such a wonderful program for decades.  I wonder what motivates this decision.

      On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 7:42 PM, Steve Hayes <hayesstw@...> wrote:

      PAF is being discontinued from 15 July 2013.

      For information about how to get a copy before then, see:

      http://hayesgreene.blogspot.com/2013/07/last-chance-to-get-paf.html

      --
      Keep well,
      Steve Hayes

    • Sherry
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 11, 2013
        From their website

        "Advances in technology, strong alternatives from third parties, and
        the need to focus on the latest FamilySearch initiatives have
        diminished the need for PAF as part of the FamilySearch offering."
        https://familysearch.org/PAF

        Sherry

        Quoting Dave Hinz :

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 11, 2013
          On 11 Jul 2013 at 21:06, Dave Hinz wrote:

          > What a shame. Such a wonderful program for decades. I wonder what
          > motivates this decision.

          I suspect that they would have had to do a major rewrite to accommodate the
          new FamilySearch family tree links. PAF has provision to record Ancestral
          File numbers, but the new FamilySearch numbers are different.

          So they seem to have just made the API available to other softeware
          developers.

          Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com