New Member - Self Intro

  • annainva
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2013
      Hi everyone. Having been on ancestry.com for several years as well as a member of various other sites, my son and I have finally come up with a very nice family tree back to 1440, both in Germany and in later years the US.

      I have looked high and low for a way to leave this hard work with hundreds of photos and notes to our descendants. Family Tree Maker and/or Ancestry.com seem to only offer printing pages and leaving these to generations to come. I had hoped that we could find a way to leave the information on disk so that we could readily go in to either expand some area or change some information as it became available. But unless my grandchildren also purchase Family Tree Maker, etc. there seems to be no way to save our hard work on CD format. I have downloaded a couple of sharewares such as Ancestral Author, but that only imports the .ged info and not even that much since it doesn't read Umlaute from the German language, despite changing to ANSI format as suggested.

      Anyway, if someone has been able to save entries with photos and notes to an editable means without having to purchase the related software to share with others and to maintain year after year, I certainly would appreciate hearing from you.

      Thanks so much, and hope everyone has as much fun as we have finding our loved ones from many centuries ago.

      Anna
    • johnecarter
      Message 2 of 4 , May 6, 2013
        Legacy Family Tree (or one of its add-ons) does this. Sorry I can't give better info - it's been a while since I was actively working on the family.

        The free version of Legacy can display most of the info created by the deluxe version. The free version tracks the deluxe version and the current version is backwards compatible to data from previous versions.

        --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "annainva" <asargent@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone. Having been on ancestry.com for several years as well as a member of various other sites, my son and I have finally come up with a very nice family tree back to 1440, both in Germany and in later years the US.
        >
        > I have looked high and low for a way to leave this hard work with hundreds of photos and notes to our descendants. Family Tree Maker and/or Ancestry.com seem to only offer printing pages and leaving these to generations to come. I had hoped that we could find a way to leave the information on disk so that we could readily go in to either expand some area or change some information as it became available. But unless my grandchildren also purchase Family Tree Maker, etc. there seems to be no way to save our hard work on CD format. I have downloaded a couple of sharewares such as Ancestral Author, but that only imports the .ged info and not even that much since it doesn't read Umlaute from the German language, despite changing to ANSI format as suggested.
        >
        > Anyway, if someone has been able to save entries with photos and notes to an editable means without having to purchase the related software to share with others and to maintain year after year, I certainly would appreciate hearing from you.
        >
        > Thanks so much, and hope everyone has as much fun as we have finding our loved ones from many centuries ago.
        >
        > Anna

      • Sherry
        Message 3 of 4 , May 6, 2013
          I think what you're referring to may be in the Tips section of the
          Legacy website - www.LegacyFamilyTree.com. Click on Help Center and
          select Tips. There are a couple of articles under "Burning CDs as a
          Way to Share Family Files".

          Legacy has a free Standard Edition which doesn't time out and has the
          same data capabilities as the Deluxe Edition.

          On the Tips page, you'll also find an article "Sharing Research Tasks
          in Legacy: Using IntelliShare" under "Merging Records and
          IntelliShare", if you have a group of people who are working on the
          same line(s).

          Sherry

          Quoting johnecarter <ads@...>:
          > Legacy Family Tree (or one of its add-ons) does this. Sorry I can't
          > give better
          > info - it's been a while since I was actively working on the family.
          >
          > The free version of Legacy can display most of the info created by the deluxe
          > version. The free version tracks the deluxe version and the current
          > version is
          > backwards compatible to data from previous versions.
          >
          > --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "annainva" <asargent@...> wrote:

          <snipped>

          > > Anyway, if someone has been able to save entries with photos and
          > notes to an
          > editable means without having to purchase the related software to share with
          > others and to maintain year after year, I certainly would appreciate hearing
          > from you.

          <snipped>

          > > Anna

        • Anna Sargent
          Message 4 of 4 , May 7, 2013
            Re: [gensoft] Re: New Member - Self Intro

            Thank you, John and Sherry, for your fast replies.  That gives me something to look at and perhaps just what we need.

            Much appreciated !!

            Anna

            "If thou tastest a crust of bread, thou tastest

                    all the stars and all the heavens."

            - Robert Browning, English poet, (1812-1889)