RE: [gensoft] Event-based software redux.

  • Sherry
    Message 1 of 17 , May 26, 2011
      What about The Master Genealogist (TMG)? Of course, it hasn't been updated
      in years. No one's quite sure what's going on with it. It has been much
      loved by those who want an event-based program although it's got quite a
      learning curve and newbies generally leave it for something that's not so
      difficult to use.

      There must not be enough of a demand for event-based software.

      Sherry

      Message 2 of 17 , May 26, 2011
        On 26 May 2011 at 6:58, Sherry wrote:

        > What about The Master Genealogist (TMG)? Of course, it hasn't been updated in
        > years. No one's quite sure what's going on with it. It has been much loved by
        > those who want an event-based program although it's got quite a learning curve
        > and newbies generally leave it for something that's not so difficult to use.

        I tried it a few times but couldn't get it to work -- it kept crashing my
        computer.

        But that's not the main problem.

        The main problem is that it is still primarily a lineage linked genealogy
        program, and isn't really designed to cope with non-family relationships.

        Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 4, 2011
          On 26 May 2011 at 6:58, Sherry wrote:

          > What about The Master Genealogist (TMG)? Of course, it hasn't been updated in
          > years. No one's quite sure what's going on with it. It has been much loved by
          > those who want an event-based program although it's got quite a learning curve
          > and newbies generally leave it for something that's not so difficult to use.
          >
          > There must not be enough of a demand for event-based software.

          Probably not much of a demand, no.

          Most of the people working on genealogy software seem to be trying to write
          yet another lineage-linked program, or else produce a replacement for GEDCOM.

          I've never managed to get TMG to work, but I've finally managed to install
          Gramps, which seems similar.

          Gramps can produce a list of events, which can be listed in chronological
          order, but it doesn't seem to be possible to link them with people or places -
          - or rather, they seem to be linked too closely to people, so that they are
          repeated for every person in the database, thus being redundant.

          For example, take the baptism of A, child of B and C, sponsors D, E, and F,
          and the person who performed the ceremony G.

          If you list it as an event linked to those seven people, the same event will
          be repeated seven times in the database.

          That means the program is "person based" rather than event-based.

          In a proper event-based program you would enter the event ONCE, and then
          link people to it.

          But I admit that i haven't played enough with Gramps yet.

          Someon mentioned a program called Scrivener -- does anyone know anything
          about it?

          Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com
        • Tom
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 5, 2011
            Is it worth pointing out that calling a genealogical program "events-based"
            means only that the program treats events as records that can refer to
            many people records or vice versa? It doesn't imply that events have somehow
            taken primacy over person records. Events are simply elevated to a position
            where they have first class status along with persons as an important record
            type that the software supports.

            There are two ways that current programs handle events in the multi-role
            context. Some programs (Gramps is an example) assign each event to a single
            person, but allow that event to refer to other persons. This isn't really
            elevating the event to first class status, as each event must ultimately "belong"
            to a person, but it does give the advantages (no duplication of info) of an
            independent event. And then there are two programs (don't remember which
            they are off the top of my head) that support true multi-role events. But, of
            course, these two programs still support persons as the ultimate and primary
            data record type of interest.

            Tom Wetmore, Chief Bottle Washer, DeadEnds Software

            (Scrivener is note-taking software.)

            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 9, 2011
              On 6 Sep 2011 at 6:38, Tom wrote:

              > Is it worth pointing out that calling a genealogical program "events-based"
              > means only that the program treats events as records that can refer to many
              > people records or vice versa? It doesn't imply that events have somehow taken
              > primacy over person records. Events are simply elevated to a position where
              > they have first class status along with persons as an important record type
              > that the software supports.

              Perhaps it could be seen like that, but when I say "event-based" I mean that
              the program is designed primarily for recording events.

              > There are two ways that current programs handle events in the multi-role
              > context. Some programs (Gramps is an example) assign each event to a single
              > person, but allow that event to refer to other persons. This isn't really
              > elevating the event to first class status, as each event must ultimately
              > "belong" to a person, but it does give the advantages (no duplication of info)
              > of an independent event. And then there are two programs (don't remember which
              > they are off the top of my head) that support true multi-role events. But, of
              > course, these two programs still support persons as the ultimate and primary
              > data record type of interest.

              I've only just started trying out Gramps, and it is indeed possible to enter
              an event in the database without it's being linked to a person. I haven't yet
              worked out how you link a person to the event.

              But by "existing programs" you seem to have in mind "lineage-linked"
              programs, and what I see the need for is not a way of improving lineage-
              linked programs, but a program that does something else.

              Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com
            • Thomas Wetmore
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 9, 2011
                Steve,

                I did assume that you were talking about the need for a genealogical program that supports events as records in their own right. Since the purpose of genealogical programs is to record information about persons and their inter-relatintionships, I did assume that lineage-linked persons would also have to be handled by such a program. From what you say here I was wrong about your assumptions. So I agree that what I have written does not bear on your question. But if you are only interested in a program that can be used to record information about events, since role players are usually key components of events, you would need to record information about the persons playing those roles. As far as my limited gray matter can conceive things it's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

                Maybe you could explain the kinds of events you are interested in. If you are recording information about the occurrences of eclipses of the moon, or the occurrences of major hurricanes in the western Atlantic, or even major battles in a war, you could do fine without person information. But my mind is definitely slanted in the direction of events in which persons played important and definable roles, and for events of that type I would probably only be recording info about them because of the persons who were involved with them.

                Tom Wetmore

                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 10, 2011
                  On 10 Sep 2011 at 2:16, Thomas Wetmore wrote:

                  > Steve,
                  >
                  > I did assume that you were talking about the need for a genealogical program
                  > that supports events as records in their own right. Since the purpose of
                  > genealogical programs is to record information about persons and their
                  > inter-relatintionships, I did assume that lineage-linked persons would also
                  > have to be handled by such a program. From what you say here I was wrong about
                  > your assumptions. So I agree that what I have written does not bear on your
                  > question. But if you are only interested in a program that can be used to
                  > record information about events, since role players are usually key components
                  > of events, you would need to record information about the persons playing
                  > those roles. As far as my limited gray matter can conceive things it's six of
                  > one, half a dozen of the other.

                  Of course it is important to keep track of persons. But there are already
                  lots of good lineage-linked genealogy programs, and we are spoilt for choice
                  in that regard, so we don't really need another one.

                  Those programs are primarily for genealogy, for keeping track of family
                  relationships and so on.

                  What I have in mind is a tool for family history, and other kinds of history
                  (local history, biography etc).

                  Of course it would need to keep track of persons who are associated with
                  events (and yes, I know Gramps lets you do that too), but what I have in mind
                  is a program that would let you include six degrees of relationship if
                  necessary, which would include people like boss, colleague, friend, enemy,
                  customer, neighbour, person whose dog you ran over etc.

                  > Maybe you could explain the kinds of events you are interested in. If you are
                  > recording information about the occurrences of eclipses of the moon, or the
                  > occurrences of major hurricanes in the western Atlantic, or even major battles
                  > in a war, you could do fine without person information. But my mind is
                  > definitely slanted in the direction of events in which persons played
                  > important and definable roles, and for events of that type I would probably
                  > only be recording info about them because of the persons who were involved
                  > with them.

                  Well, say you are writing local history of a small village.

                  Of course you would want information about people, like a list of mayors or
                  equivalent, shop keepers, clergy, other influential inhabitants like doctors,
                  layers and so on, and then you would want to link them to discrete events
                  they were involved in, planning a road, erecting or demolishing a building,
                  starting or quelling a riot, establishing a library, holding a beauty pageant
                  or whatever.

                  On the web site for the forum I've put some documents showing the kind of
                  thing I have in mind -- schematic diagrams, sample tables and so on. I've put
                  them there for comment, suggestions for improvement, and keep hoping that
                  some programming fundi will help me to make them work, preferably before I
                  die.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 10, 2011
                    Steve,

                    I think I now see my confusion.

                    I want a genealogical program to handle my lineage linked conclusions and my record event evidence. I assumed you would want the same. I think I was wrong. I think you want a lineage linked program to handle your person conclusions, and a separate, event-based program to hold your evidence. I simply want them together in the same program.

                    Tom Wetmore