Re: Married names

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 10, 2010
      On 10 Jun 2010 at 19:13, Paul Blair wrote:

      > > > 0 @I5@ INDI
      > > > 1 NAME Marion Lynette /Doyle/
      > > > 2 SURN Doyle
      > > > 2 GIVN Marion Lynette
      > > > 2 _AKA /Lyn/ <<< I'm not sure the slashes should be there....
      > > > 2 _MARNM Marion Lynette Blair
      > > > 1 SEX F
      > >
      > > Yes, but what if there is more than one?

      > Hi Steve

      I hope you won't mind if I reply in the Gensoft forum, partly because it has
      been so quiet and could do with a bit of discussion, and also because it
      makes it easier for me to find and file it.

      > Apologies for not replying earlier. Your incoming got trapped by my spam
      > filter!

      I'm not sure why that should be -my spam filter is set to trap a lot of HTML
      mail, because HTML is used a lot by spammers, but mine is set to "text-only" -
      did I use a naughty word?

      > In reply: I believe that, if there is more than one, the first one listed is
      > the most current, and so on. It can get a bit complex - I have a couple, each
      > of whom married 3 partners at separate times, including themselves - a
      > marriage, a divorce, a remarriage. :-) She also sued him for restoration of
      > conjugal rights...dunno what he was or wasn't doing!

      Yes, I have one of those - she married four times, twice to the same bloke --
      the first time in Sydney, when his previous wife was still alive, and the
      second time in Adelaide, after she had died (but also after their children
      were born). I'll attach a sample report.

      The problem with PAF, however, is that it provides only one field for a
      married name, so even if it exports it, it doesn't export all of them.

      The program I still use for basic entry, the Family History System (FHS -
      1993 DOS version), doesn't use a special field, but does produce address
      reports and things like that under a woman's married name, if you want it to

      > In case you've not guessed, I've moved from phpGedView (PGV)to The Next
      > Generation (TNG). TNG is lighter weight, and lacks many nice things that I'd
      > gotten used to in PGV. Let me know if you want to see what it looks like in
      > action - I'll set up an account.

      I was using it this morning - a site I use for my research, Axholme Ancestry,
      keeps members contributions in TNG. If you'd like to have a look, it's at:

      http://www.red1st.com/axholme/index.php

      > An exciting time over your way? Our evening TV is all South African.

      Yes indeed. The big kick-off is tomorrow.

      Here's the report I was talking about and her 2nd and 3rd/4th husbands had
      other marriages as well.

      Family Group Report
      For: Margaret Agnes Ann Green (ID= 935)
      Date Prepared: 10 Jun 2010

      NAME: GREEN, Margaret Agnes Ann, Born 8 Dec 1835 in Nova Scotia,
      Died 26 Dec 1902 in Marrickville, NSW, AUS at age 67; FATHER:
      GREEN, William John (Goodall), Born 28 Aug 1790, Died 9 Apr
      1866 at age 75; MOTHER: GRAY, Margaret, Born 18 May 1795, Died
      11 May 1844? at age 48; Came to Cape Colony at age of 11 with
      father and brothers. Married William Wilson while still young
      and emigrated to Australia.

      MARRIED 20 Aug 1879 in Adelaide, SA, to THWAITES, Walter William
      McLean, Born ??? 1841 in Sydney, NSW, Australia, Died 20 Mar
      1908 in Victoria, Australia at age 67; FATHER: THWAITES,
      Walter William, Born ??? 1814, Died Feb 1888 at age 74;
      MOTHER: MCLEAN, Jane

      MARRIED 2 May 1871 in Sydney, NSW until 20 Aug 1879 in Adelaide,
      SA, to THWAITES, Walter William McLean, Born ??? 1841 in
      Sydney, NSW, Australia, Died 20 Mar 1908 in Victoria,
      Australia at age 67; FATHER: THWAITES, Walter William, Born
      ??? 1814, Died Feb 1888 at age 74; MOTHER: MCLEAN, Jane;
      Married first in Sydney, then again in Adelaide, because
      Sydney marriage was bigamous.

      MARRIED 9 Jan 1858 in Gundary, NSW, to FRANCIS, Alfred John
      Dawson, Born ??? 1820? in Liverpool, England, Died 5 Mar 1864
      in Sydney, NSW at age 44; FATHER: FRANCIS, John; Witness: Dean
      Francis. He was a widower, she a widow, both of Bodalla.;
      Source: death date - family tree sent by Bob Cowley

      MARRIED ??? 1851 in Cape Town (?), to WILSON, William, Born ???
      1823? in Camberwell, London, Died 21 Apr 1856 in Tuross River,
      NSW at age 33; According to W. Wilson's death certificate, he
      married Margaret Agnes Glasgow at the Cape of Good Hope at the
      age of 28.

      CHILDREN:
      1. F WILSON, Caroline Agnes, born 20 Apr 1854 in Sydney, NSW,
      died 7 Dec 1946 in North Havelock, NZ; Married 21 Jul
      1874 to BRATHWAITE, Robert Ashley Warre; 8 children
      2. F WILSON, Emily Eleanora, born 23 Aug 1855 in New South
      Wales, died 18 Jun 1859 in Yarragee, NSW, AUS
      3. F FRANCIS, Ada Anne Angeline Fairfax, born 10 Mar 1859 in
      Bodalla, NSW, AUS, died 9 Nov 1938 in Ashfield, NSW, AUS;
      Married 1 Aug 1894 to WHITE, William
      4. M FRANCIS, Arthur Walpole, born 7 Jan 1861 in Moruya, NSW,
      died 8 May 1921 in Mariental Dist. SWA; Married 2 Nov
      1887 to DONOVAN, Ida Miranda Willoughby; 3 children
      5. F FRANCIS, Edith Lilian, born 20 Aug 1862 in Yarragee, NSW,
      died 13 Oct 1926 in Melbourne, Vic. Aust.; Married 10 Oct
      1885 to BRIDGES, William Throsby; 7 children
      6. F FRANCIS, Louisa, born 3 Nov 1864 in Queanbeyan, NSW, died
      18 Mar 1943 in Tenterfield, NSW; Married 24 Dec 1883 to
      COWLEY, Percy; 10 children
      7. F THWAITES, Margaret Jane, born 20 Mar 1872 in Sydney, died
      ??? in Sydney
      8. M THWAITES, Walter William Alfred, born 2 Jan 1874 in
      Sydney, NSW, Australia, died ???; Married 25 Jul 1895 to
      SAVAGE, Emily Victoria; 6 children
      9. M THWAITES, Herbert Edward, born 28 Nov 1875 in Australia,
      died 28 Jan 1937 in Boksburg; Married to BRITTAIN, Motty
      Adeline; 2 children
      10. F THWAITES, Elizabeth, born ??? 1876, died ???

      --
      Keep well,
      Steve Hayes