Re: Historical research database

  • ray_murphy aus
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 5, 2009

      > On 3 Dec 2009 at 19:11, ray_murphy aus wrote:
      >
      > > --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hayes" <hayesstw@> wrote:
      >
      > > > My idea was precisely the opposite.
      > > >
      > > > First to do a prototype in MS Access or a similar general database
      > > > program,
      > > > in order to establish which tables need to be used, and what links need to
      > > > be made between them.
      > > >
      > > > THEN, when it's working, and a few people have tried it, write a program in
      > > > Visual Basic or some other language to enter, access and manipulate the data
      > > > in the tables in a stand-alone program that can be used without having to
      > > > own a proprietary one like MS Access.
      > > >
      > > > I don't know enough about programming to do any of this.
      > > >
      > > > I could, just possibly, have done it in Paradox 4.5 for DOS 15 years ago,
      > > > but that is obsolete and I've given up trying to keep up. That's why I was
      > > > hoping that people here could do it as a cooperative project.
      > >
      > > RM: It would be quite easy for a skilled MS Access programmer to do
      > > what you're looking for, but only if very clear instructions were given
      > > beforehand. Most of those who could volunteer to help would be saying
      > > that they were only available to write the code from clear instructions - not
      > > *develop* a good program over a period of several weeks or many months - so a
      > > working model in VB or anything else would make it very clear to them if you
      > > said:- "Do what that program is doing, but more efficiently" It would remove
      > > nearly all of the inevitable string of misunderstandings that programmers
      > > constantly face.
      >
      > I repeat: I would prefer to do it the other way round -- develop a working
      > model in MS Access, THEN write a program in VB or some other language.

      RM: I've already got that test VB program working and displaying all the required events, sources and people, but as it turned out, it didn't need MS Access or its complex linkage system at all.

      The user-interface being used would be the same under any system,
      and irrespective of what was happening in the background with tables,
      linkages or arrays.

      Of course this doesn't solve the problem of creating links between
      Tables in MS Access if they are needed, but at least we can now run all sorts of data through it and see what (if anything) is missing in the print-outs and figure out what sort of links need to be created between Tables.

      Ray
    • ray_murphy aus
      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 12, 2009
        --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "ray_murphy aus" <raymurph@...> wrote:

        > --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hayes" <hayesstw@> wrote:
        > >
        > > On 3 Dec 2009 at 19:11, ray_murphy aus wrote:
        > >
        > > > --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hayes" <hayesstw@> wrote:

        [....]

        > RM: I've already got that test VB program working and displaying all the required events, sources and people, but as it turned out, it didn't need MS Access or its complex linkage system at all.
        >
        > The user-interface being used would be the same under any system,
        > and irrespective of what was happening in the background with tables,
        > linkages or arrays.

        [....]

        [Update]

        A much better version of the VB program has been uploaded to the Files section of this group's website. It's called "GENEVENTS2"

        It can be used to store literally anything that one could ever imagine because users can add their own categories for Events, Facts or Relationships between people.

        Any date system can be used, but if full automatic sorting is required for print-outs, then we need to use the YYYY,MM,DD format. If however some dates are not in the correct format (and order in a printout) then they can be simply re-positioned by Copy/Paste in the print-out panel.

        If "Connected People" are required for event descriptions, then just click on their names and they will be automatically inserted.

        If Sources of information are required for events etc, then they simply need to be entered with the event.

        The program has a concise Help section in the Menu, so most questions will be answered there.

        This latest version should make it easy for anyone to create a database with a SUITABLE 5.5 Gedcom and start seeing future potential or current weaknesses with the system.