Re: [gensoft] Re: Historical research database

    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 1, 2009
      On 30 Nov 2009 at 10:28, ray_murphy aus wrote:

      > As you can see, I'm actually interested in the recording of events but I
      still
      > cannot visualise many situations where event information could be used for
      > genealogy or how it can be handled easily by the average user - so it looks
      > like we need some examples to motivate us.

      Here is such an example -- a report from the database whose structure (field
      list) I posted a few messages back:

      Events relating to Fred Green Page No 1

      Search strategy: 09/12/01 09:56:33
      GET KE/EV/EN/NO/PE/EP: fred w3 green

      4-Apr-1829 Canada, Quebec, Montreal

      BIRTH OF FRED GREEN, MONTREAL
      Frederick Thomas, son of William Green, Deputy Assistant
      Commissary General and of Margaret Gray his wife was born
      the fourth day of April 1829 and baptizen o n the
      twenty-ninth day of may following by me.... the sponsors
      are William Goodall and Eliza Glasgoe, natural cousins to
      the infant, and Deputy Assistant Commissary General
      Samuel Tubby
      People: 1. Green, Fred [144]
      2. Green, William John [140]
      3. Gray, Margaret [141]
      4. Goodall, William [10032]
      5. Glasgow, Eliza
      6. Tubby, Samuel
      Sources: 1. Church Register, Montreal

      Events relating to Fred Green Page No 2

      4-Jan-1853 Orange River Sovereignty, Bloemfontein

      CHARLES & FRED GREEN ARRIVED IN BLOEMFONTEIN FROM TRIP TO
      LAKE NGAMI
      "Charles and Fred Green, brothers of the Resident, came
      down from the interior about the 3rd or 4th of the month.
      They had been unfortunate in their trip, had neenm to the
      lake and some 120 miles to the westward of it, and just
      as they had got into the midst of the elephants the fly
      (tsetse) got among their horses and killed some 34 horses
      and 50 head of cattle. They only shot six or eight
      elephants. They also lost 50 head of cattle to the Boors,
      who took them from sechele where they had left them for
      their return journey. Sechele, chief of the Baquainas, a
      tribe who live some 450 miles from here, also came down
      with the Greens to lodge a complaint against the Trans
      Vaal Boors for having attacked him without cause, killed
      many of his people and taken some two hundred women and
      nearly a thousand children into slavery. A young Edwards,
      son of a missionary of the same anme, came down with him
      as interpreter. Sechele is one of the finest blacks I
      ever saw, has a fine open coutnenance, dresses very
      neatly and clean. Although he cannot speak English he
      reads the Bible in his own language and is I believe a
      good Christian. We have had great fun lately, the Greens
      being very jolly fellows, particularly Fred Green. We
      have had reunions of an evening at Craws', screeching and
      howling to the masthead, and also some very good songs
      and music. Charles Green, finding that Sechele was not
      likely to get much done for him in the Colony, determined
      to take him home. He accordingly opened a subscription
      for the purpose, and very soon collected œ [blank] even
      in this small town, as all the reports from beyond the
      Vaal confirm us in the belief that slavery is carried on
      openly by the Boors there."
      People: 1. Green, Fred [140]
      2. Green, Charles [502]
      3. Sechele
      4. Edwards, Samuel Howard
      Sources: 1. St John Diary, p. 45
      2. cf Sillery 1954, "Sechele", p 116f

      Events relating to Fred Green Page No 3

      12-Feb-1853 Orange River Sovereignty, Bloemfontein

      CHARLES & FRED GREEN DINE IN OFFICERS' MESS WITH ST JOHN.
      AFTERWARDS MEET HENRY AND ARTHUR GREEN IN THE CLUB. HENRY
      IS THE RESIDENT, ARTHUR GREEN IN THE COMMISSARIAT AND
      FRED IS DESCRIBED AS SURVEYOR.
      "Played one game of billiards with Charles Green, who
      dined wuith me at mess. Present, Major Kyle, Captain
      Bates, Howard and Rowland, all 45th, Cameron, Staff
      Assistant Surgeon, and myself, the members of the mess,
      and Charles and Fred Green and Dawson, late 45th, guest.
      In the evening Lowen the magistrate and De Smidt of the
      Comissariat came up. About 9 Charles Green and I
      adjourned to the club, where we met his brothers Henry
      Green, the Resident, and Arthur Green in the
      Commissariat, and also Fred the surveyor. I played one
      game with Charles Green and adjourned to my house" (St
      John diary, p, 52). This is the last mention of Charles
      Green in St John's diary -- perhaps he accompanied
      Sechele back home, as St John had described earlier, or
      perhaps went on to Cape Town, as described by Tabler
      (1973:45).
      People: 1. Green, Fred [144]
      2. Green, Charles [502]
      3. Green, Henry [480]
      4. Green, Arthur [936]
      5. Bates, Captain Robert
      6. Kyle, Major Hallam d'Arcy
      Sources: 1. St John Diary, p. 52

      2-Mar-1853 Orange River Sovereignty, Bloemfontein

      FRED GREEN GOES ON HUNTING EXPEDITION FROM BLOEMFONTEIN
      WITH W. ST JOHN, JOHANNES DE SMIDT & WILLIAM DAWSON.
      Fred Green set out with William St John, an officer of
      the Royal Artillery, from Bloemfontein to A.H. Bain's
      farm at Tempe, where they had dinner, and on to
      Kwaggafontein, from where they set out on a fortnight's
      hunting expedition.
      People: 1. Green, Fred
      2. St John, William Jones
      3. Dawson, William
      4. de Smidt, Johannes
      Sources: 1. St John, Diary, p. 54

      Events relating to Fred Green Page No 4

      17-Mar-1853 Orange River Sovereignty, Bloemfontein

      FRED GREEN & CO RETURN TO BLOEMFONTEIN FROM HUNTING
      EXPEDITION
      People: 1. Green, Fred
      2. St John, William Jones
      3. Dawson, William
      4. de Smidt, Johannes
      Sources: 1. St John, Diary, p. 63

      22-Mar-1853 Orange River Sovereignty, Bloemfontein

      FRED GREEN, ST JOHN, DICK ORPEN HAVE DINNER WITH A.H.
      BAIN
      People: 1. Green, Fred
      2. St John, William Jones
      3. Bain, Andrew Hudson
      4. Orpen, Richard John Newenham
      Sources: 1. St John Diary, p. 64

      31-May-1853 Orange River Sovereignty, Bloemfontein

      FRED GREEN DINED WITH WILLIAM ST JOHN IN BLOEMFONTEIN
      MESS
      Last mention of Fred Green in St John's diary. On 12 July
      St John went on a trip to Harrismith, and returned on 13
      August, when the diary ends. Fred Green may have left
      Bloemfontein by then.
      People: 1. Green, Fred
      Sources: 1. St John Diary, p. 79

      21-Jun-1857 Damaraland

      F. GREEN ATTENDED DUTCH SERVICE
      Green's Hereros attended morning service conducted by
      Hahn, and in the afternoon came with young Bonfield and
      two wagon drivers to the Dutch service.
      People: 1. Green, Fred [144]
      Sources: 1. Hahn's diary

      Now that is a flat file database, not relational, so the names of the people
      assocated with each event were typed separately into each record. That is the
      kind of duplication that a relational database can avoid.

      The list of events was selected by the search argument "fred w3 green", which
      means any record that had "fred" within three words of "green".

      I could also select all records referring to Bloemfontein, whether Fred Green
      was involved or not.

      Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com
    • ray_murphy aus
      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 12, 2009
        --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "ray_murphy aus" <raymurph@...> wrote:

        > --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hayes" <hayesstw@> wrote:
        > >
        > > On 3 Dec 2009 at 19:11, ray_murphy aus wrote:
        > >
        > > > --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hayes" <hayesstw@> wrote:

        [....]

        > RM: I've already got that test VB program working and displaying all the required events, sources and people, but as it turned out, it didn't need MS Access or its complex linkage system at all.
        >
        > The user-interface being used would be the same under any system,
        > and irrespective of what was happening in the background with tables,
        > linkages or arrays.

        [....]

        [Update]

        A much better version of the VB program has been uploaded to the Files section of this group's website. It's called "GENEVENTS2"

        It can be used to store literally anything that one could ever imagine because users can add their own categories for Events, Facts or Relationships between people.

        Any date system can be used, but if full automatic sorting is required for print-outs, then we need to use the YYYY,MM,DD format. If however some dates are not in the correct format (and order in a printout) then they can be simply re-positioned by Copy/Paste in the print-out panel.

        If "Connected People" are required for event descriptions, then just click on their names and they will be automatically inserted.

        If Sources of information are required for events etc, then they simply need to be entered with the event.

        The program has a concise Help section in the Menu, so most questions will be answered there.

        This latest version should make it easy for anyone to create a database with a SUITABLE 5.5 Gedcom and start seeing future potential or current weaknesses with the system.