Re: [gensoft] Re: Historical research database

    Message 1 of 32 , Nov 30, 2009
      On 30 Nov 2009 at 14:05, ray_murphy aus wrote:

      > --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hayes" <hayesstw@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > On 30 Nov 2009 at 0:18, ray_murphy aus wrote:
      > >
      > > > I've just made a very small, new, stand alone application for entering
      > > > event data rapidly if you want to try it out to see if it could be knocked
      > > > into shape somehow for genealogy.
      > > >
      > [....]
      >
      > >Why not upload it in the files section of the forum so that others can >look
      > >at it and comment too?
      >
      > RM: Mainly because I don't like wondering if anyone on the planet will ever
      > respond. I put lots of things on the net for viewing or downloading, but
      > rarely if feedback is being sought.
      >
      > I've just uploaded it and will leave it there for a short time.

      OK, I downloaded it and had a look at it, but didn't manage to get it to
      work.

      It seemed to make a hash of the GEDCOM file, mixing up people and sources.

      When I tried to save it, it reported "subscript out of range"

      Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com
    • ray_murphy aus
      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 12, 2009
        --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "ray_murphy aus" <raymurph@...> wrote:

        > --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hayes" <hayesstw@> wrote:
        > >
        > > On 3 Dec 2009 at 19:11, ray_murphy aus wrote:
        > >
        > > > --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hayes" <hayesstw@> wrote:

        [....]

        > RM: I've already got that test VB program working and displaying all the required events, sources and people, but as it turned out, it didn't need MS Access or its complex linkage system at all.
        >
        > The user-interface being used would be the same under any system,
        > and irrespective of what was happening in the background with tables,
        > linkages or arrays.

        [....]

        [Update]

        A much better version of the VB program has been uploaded to the Files section of this group's website. It's called "GENEVENTS2"

        It can be used to store literally anything that one could ever imagine because users can add their own categories for Events, Facts or Relationships between people.

        Any date system can be used, but if full automatic sorting is required for print-outs, then we need to use the YYYY,MM,DD format. If however some dates are not in the correct format (and order in a printout) then they can be simply re-positioned by Copy/Paste in the print-out panel.

        If "Connected People" are required for event descriptions, then just click on their names and they will be automatically inserted.

        If Sources of information are required for events etc, then they simply need to be entered with the event.

        The program has a concise Help section in the Menu, so most questions will be answered there.

        This latest version should make it easy for anyone to create a database with a SUITABLE 5.5 Gedcom and start seeing future potential or current weaknesses with the system.