This should prove interesting....

  • pfablair
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 8, 2006
      As one of those people who define present commercial genealogy
      software program as LCD (think back to your maths classes!), I welcome
      a chance to debate fresh ideas about what we might like...
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 8, 2006
        On 9 Feb 2006 at 4:24, pfablair wrote:

        > As one of those people who define present commercial genealogy
        > software program as LCD (think back to your maths classes!), I welcome
        > a chance to debate fresh ideas about what we might like...

        Right!

        And one of the things I would like is an event-based database that can pull
        in "Person" information from your main genealogy database (to save re-typing,
        but also allow you to add other persons. But more about that in a specific
        message devoted to that theme.

        For my lineage-linked programes I mainly use Legacy, which meets most of my
        needs, though there are some things that could be improved about it. And I
        use Family History System, which I've been using since 1987, when I got my
        first MS-DOS computer (was using CP/M before that). And I use PAF 4 to
        convert between them, and also use PAF for to import other people's gedcoms,
        find any people related to me, and spit out smaller GEDCOMs to import into my
        Research databases.--
        Web: http://www.geocities.com/hayesstw/stevesig.htm
        Phone: 083-342-3563 or 012-333-6727
      • Leif B. Kristensen
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 9, 2006
          --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "pfablair" <pblair30@...> wrote:

          > As one of those people who define present commercial genealogy
          > software program as LCD (think back to your maths classes!), I welcome
          > a chance to debate fresh ideas about what we might like...

          Please, what do you mean with LCD? The only meaning of that acronym
          that I know about, is Liquid Crystal Display, - and that doesn't make
          very much sense in this context.

          If this group is intended to be international, please don't express
          yourself in riddles.

          regards, Leif
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 9, 2006
            --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "pfablair" <pblair30@...> wrote:

            > As one of those people who define present commercial genealogy
            > software program as LCD (think back to your maths classes!), I welcome
            > a chance to debate fresh ideas about what we might like...

            Sorry Leif (and others) - I need to be more careful. Point taken.
            Lowest Common Denominator was what I should have typed...

            Paul - who promises to do better!
          • Leif B. Kristensen
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 9, 2006
              On Thursday 09 February 2006 09:27, Paul Blair wrote:
              >--- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "pfablair" <pblair30@...> wrote:
              > > As one of those people who define present commercial genealogy
              > > software program as LCD (think back to your maths classes!), I
              > > welcome a chance to debate fresh ideas about what we might like...
              >
              > Sorry Leif (and others) - I need to be more careful. Point taken.
              > Lowest Common Denominator was what I should have typed...
              >
              > Paul - who promises to do better!

              Apology accepted ;-)

              Now that I know what you're talking about, I tend to agree. Although the
              worst LCD(?) factor here appears to be the GEDCOM format. Any program
              with a data model that deviates too much from the GEDCOM legacy model
              (note that I'm writing "legacy" with a small l) will have major trouble
              with regards to data interchange.

              During the nine years that I have been occupied with genealogy, software
              development have been utterly transformed by the open-source model. You
              can download a totally awesome relational database engine like
              PostgreSQL for free and write your own genealogy app around it in any
              of several freely available scripting languages. Back in 1997, that
              wasn't an option. Besides, a 90 MHz Pentium with a few megabytes of RAM
              would hardly have been up to the task anyway.

              About the only thing in IT that hasn't changed since then is the GEDCOM
              standard. That is still at version 5.5. And even if a better standard
              was around, I seriously doubt if the commercial genealogy software
              developers would give it any significant mindshare. With one honorable
              exception, the commercial program developers are very very concerned
              that their customers might leave them if some method of lossless data
              export existed.

              So, in the year 2006 we are dragging behind us the body of an
              interchange standard that's been effectively dead for the last ten
              years. And that's your LCD number one.
              http://solumslekt.org/ | Cruising with Gentoo/KDE
            • his_jadedness
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 9, 2006
                --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Leif B. Kristensen" <leif@...>
                wrote:

                > On Thursday 09 February 2006 09:27, Paul Blair wrote:
                > >--- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "pfablair" <pblair30@> wrote:
                > > > As one of those people who define present commercial genealogy
                > > > software program as LCD (think back to your maths classes!), I
                > > > welcome a chance to debate fresh ideas about what we might
                like...

                > > Sorry Leif (and others) - I need to be more careful. Point taken.
                > > Lowest Common Denominator was what I should have typed...
                > >
                > > Paul - who promises to do better!
                >
                > Apology accepted ;-)
                >
                > Now that I know what you're talking about, I tend to agree.
                Although the
                > worst LCD(?) factor here appears to be the GEDCOM format. Any
                program
                > with a data model that deviates too much from the GEDCOM legacy
                model
                > (note that I'm writing "legacy" with a small l) will have major
                trouble
                > with regards to data interchange.
                >
                > During the nine years that I have been occupied with genealogy,
                software
                > development have been utterly transformed by the open-source
                model. You
                > can download a totally awesome relational database engine like
                > PostgreSQL for free and write your own genealogy app around it in
                any
                > of several freely available scripting languages. Back in 1997,
                that
                > wasn't an option. Besides, a 90 MHz Pentium with a few megabytes
                of RAM
                > would hardly have been up to the task anyway.
                >
                > About the only thing in IT that hasn't changed since then is the
                GEDCOM
                > standard. That is still at version 5.5. And even if a better
                standard
                > was around, I seriously doubt if the commercial genealogy software
                > developers would give it any significant mindshare. With one
                honorable
                > exception, the commercial program developers are very very
                concerned
                > that their customers might leave them if some method of lossless
                data
                > export existed.
                >
                > So, in the year 2006 we are dragging behind us the body of an
                > interchange standard that's been effectively dead for the last ten
                > years. And that's your LCD number one.
                > --
                > Leif Biberg Kristensen | Registered Linux User #338009
                > http://solumslekt.org/ | Cruising with Gentoo/KDE

                I quite agree. GEDCOM is a product that has long since passed its
                sell-by date and should be removed from public comsumption... but
                until the average end-users start demanding a better data export I'm
                afraid the commercial firms will stay with it (sigh).
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 14, 2006
                  On 9 Feb 2006 at 14:21, his_jadedness wrote:

                  > I quite agree. GEDCOM is a product that has long since passed its
                  > sell-by date and should be removed from public comsumption... but
                  > until the average end-users start demanding a better data export I'm
                  > afraid the commercial firms will stay with it (sigh).

                  While I agree that soething better may need to be developed, I disagree
                  strongly that GEDCOM should be "removed from public consumption".

                  Many people have backed up their data as GEDCOM, using programs that are no
                  longer available, and if newer programs can't import GEDCOM files, much of
                  that data will be lost.

                  Web: http://www.geocities.com/hayesstw/stevesig.htm
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 14, 2006

                    > On 9 Feb 2006 at 14:21, his_jadedness wrote:
                    >
                    > > I quite agree. GEDCOM is a product that has long since passed its
                    > > sell-by date and should be removed from public comsumption... but
                    > > until the average end-users start demanding a better data export I'm
                    > > afraid the commercial firms will stay with it (sigh).
                    >
                    > While I agree that soething better may need to be developed, I disagree
                    > strongly that GEDCOM should be "removed from public consumption".
                    >
                    > Many people have backed up their data as GEDCOM, using programs that
                    are no
                    > longer available, and if newer programs can't import GEDCOM files,
                    much of
                    > that data will be lost.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Steve Hayes
                    > E-mail: shayes@...
                    > Web: http://www.geocities.com/hayesstw/stevesig.htm
                    > Phone: 083-342-3563 or 012-333-6727

                    OK, grin, how about I rephrase it "archive the present version for
                    historical use, and prepare a version that more closely follows
                    present-day trends" ?....mumble, mutter, grumble...

                    Paul
                  • Methodius
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 26, 2011
                      > And one of the things I would like is an event-based database that can pull
                      > in "Person" information from your main genealogy database (to save re-typing,
                      > but also allow you to add other persons.

                      This has come up again in the soc.genealogy.computing newsgroup, and I still feel the need for such software, and have yet to find it. We are spoiled for choice in lineage-linked programs, but I don't know of any event-based programs that will do what I want.

                      I've tried to summarise the needs in a blog post at:

                      http://su.pr/2vQjRv

                      and the sample database tables are available for download from the files section of this forum.

                      I'm reopening this subject because I really would like to see (and be able to use) such a program before I die.
                    • Sherry
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 26, 2011
                        What about The Master Genealogist (TMG)? Of course, it hasn't been updated
                        in years. No one's quite sure what's going on with it. It has been much
                        loved by those who want an event-based program although it's got quite a
                        learning curve and newbies generally leave it for something that's not so
                        difficult to use.

                        There must not be enough of a demand for event-based software.

                        Sherry

                        Message 11 of 17 , May 26, 2011
                          On 26 May 2011 at 6:58, Sherry wrote:

                          > What about The Master Genealogist (TMG)? Of course, it hasn't been updated in
                          > years. No one's quite sure what's going on with it. It has been much loved by
                          > those who want an event-based program although it's got quite a learning curve
                          > and newbies generally leave it for something that's not so difficult to use.

                          I tried it a few times but couldn't get it to work -- it kept crashing my
                          computer.

                          But that's not the main problem.

                          The main problem is that it is still primarily a lineage linked genealogy
                          program, and isn't really designed to cope with non-family relationships.

                          Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 4 9:40 PM
                            On 26 May 2011 at 6:58, Sherry wrote:

                            > What about The Master Genealogist (TMG)? Of course, it hasn't been updated in
                            > years. No one's quite sure what's going on with it. It has been much loved by
                            > those who want an event-based program although it's got quite a learning curve
                            > and newbies generally leave it for something that's not so difficult to use.
                            >
                            > There must not be enough of a demand for event-based software.

                            Probably not much of a demand, no.

                            Most of the people working on genealogy software seem to be trying to write
                            yet another lineage-linked program, or else produce a replacement for GEDCOM.

                            I've never managed to get TMG to work, but I've finally managed to install
                            Gramps, which seems similar.

                            Gramps can produce a list of events, which can be listed in chronological
                            order, but it doesn't seem to be possible to link them with people or places -
                            - or rather, they seem to be linked too closely to people, so that they are
                            repeated for every person in the database, thus being redundant.

                            For example, take the baptism of A, child of B and C, sponsors D, E, and F,
                            and the person who performed the ceremony G.

                            If you list it as an event linked to those seven people, the same event will
                            be repeated seven times in the database.

                            That means the program is "person based" rather than event-based.

                            In a proper event-based program you would enter the event ONCE, and then
                            link people to it.

                            But I admit that i haven't played enough with Gramps yet.

                            Someon mentioned a program called Scrivener -- does anyone know anything
                            about it?

                            Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com
                          • Tom
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 5 11:38 PM
                              Is it worth pointing out that calling a genealogical program "events-based"
                              means only that the program treats events as records that can refer to
                              many people records or vice versa? It doesn't imply that events have somehow
                              taken primacy over person records. Events are simply elevated to a position
                              where they have first class status along with persons as an important record
                              type that the software supports.

                              There are two ways that current programs handle events in the multi-role
                              context. Some programs (Gramps is an example) assign each event to a single
                              person, but allow that event to refer to other persons. This isn't really
                              elevating the event to first class status, as each event must ultimately "belong"
                              to a person, but it does give the advantages (no duplication of info) of an
                              independent event. And then there are two programs (don't remember which
                              they are off the top of my head) that support true multi-role events. But, of
                              course, these two programs still support persons as the ultimate and primary
                              data record type of interest.

                              Tom Wetmore, Chief Bottle Washer, DeadEnds Software

                              (Scrivener is note-taking software.)

                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 9 8:39 PM
                                On 6 Sep 2011 at 6:38, Tom wrote:

                                > Is it worth pointing out that calling a genealogical program "events-based"
                                > means only that the program treats events as records that can refer to many
                                > people records or vice versa? It doesn't imply that events have somehow taken
                                > primacy over person records. Events are simply elevated to a position where
                                > they have first class status along with persons as an important record type
                                > that the software supports.

                                Perhaps it could be seen like that, but when I say "event-based" I mean that
                                the program is designed primarily for recording events.

                                > There are two ways that current programs handle events in the multi-role
                                > context. Some programs (Gramps is an example) assign each event to a single
                                > person, but allow that event to refer to other persons. This isn't really
                                > elevating the event to first class status, as each event must ultimately
                                > "belong" to a person, but it does give the advantages (no duplication of info)
                                > of an independent event. And then there are two programs (don't remember which
                                > they are off the top of my head) that support true multi-role events. But, of
                                > course, these two programs still support persons as the ultimate and primary
                                > data record type of interest.

                                I've only just started trying out Gramps, and it is indeed possible to enter
                                an event in the database without it's being linked to a person. I haven't yet
                                worked out how you link a person to the event.

                                But by "existing programs" you seem to have in mind "lineage-linked"
                                programs, and what I see the need for is not a way of improving lineage-
                                linked programs, but a program that does something else.

                                Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com
                              • Thomas Wetmore
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 9 11:16 PM
                                  Steve,

                                  I did assume that you were talking about the need for a genealogical program that supports events as records in their own right. Since the purpose of genealogical programs is to record information about persons and their inter-relatintionships, I did assume that lineage-linked persons would also have to be handled by such a program. From what you say here I was wrong about your assumptions. So I agree that what I have written does not bear on your question. But if you are only interested in a program that can be used to record information about events, since role players are usually key components of events, you would need to record information about the persons playing those roles. As far as my limited gray matter can conceive things it's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

                                  Maybe you could explain the kinds of events you are interested in. If you are recording information about the occurrences of eclipses of the moon, or the occurrences of major hurricanes in the western Atlantic, or even major battles in a war, you could do fine without person information. But my mind is definitely slanted in the direction of events in which persons played important and definable roles, and for events of that type I would probably only be recording info about them because of the persons who were involved with them.

                                  Tom Wetmore

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 10 1:50 AM
                                    On 10 Sep 2011 at 2:16, Thomas Wetmore wrote:

                                    > Steve,
                                    >
                                    > I did assume that you were talking about the need for a genealogical program
                                    > that supports events as records in their own right. Since the purpose of
                                    > genealogical programs is to record information about persons and their
                                    > inter-relatintionships, I did assume that lineage-linked persons would also
                                    > have to be handled by such a program. From what you say here I was wrong about
                                    > your assumptions. So I agree that what I have written does not bear on your
                                    > question. But if you are only interested in a program that can be used to
                                    > record information about events, since role players are usually key components
                                    > of events, you would need to record information about the persons playing
                                    > those roles. As far as my limited gray matter can conceive things it's six of
                                    > one, half a dozen of the other.

                                    Of course it is important to keep track of persons. But there are already
                                    lots of good lineage-linked genealogy programs, and we are spoilt for choice
                                    in that regard, so we don't really need another one.

                                    Those programs are primarily for genealogy, for keeping track of family
                                    relationships and so on.

                                    What I have in mind is a tool for family history, and other kinds of history
                                    (local history, biography etc).

                                    Of course it would need to keep track of persons who are associated with
                                    events (and yes, I know Gramps lets you do that too), but what I have in mind
                                    is a program that would let you include six degrees of relationship if
                                    necessary, which would include people like boss, colleague, friend, enemy,
                                    customer, neighbour, person whose dog you ran over etc.

                                    > Maybe you could explain the kinds of events you are interested in. If you are
                                    > recording information about the occurrences of eclipses of the moon, or the
                                    > occurrences of major hurricanes in the western Atlantic, or even major battles
                                    > in a war, you could do fine without person information. But my mind is
                                    > definitely slanted in the direction of events in which persons played
                                    > important and definable roles, and for events of that type I would probably
                                    > only be recording info about them because of the persons who were involved
                                    > with them.

                                    Well, say you are writing local history of a small village.

                                    Of course you would want information about people, like a list of mayors or
                                    equivalent, shop keepers, clergy, other influential inhabitants like doctors,
                                    layers and so on, and then you would want to link them to discrete events
                                    they were involved in, planning a road, erecting or demolishing a building,
                                    starting or quelling a riot, establishing a library, holding a beauty pageant
                                    or whatever.

                                    On the web site for the forum I've put some documents showing the kind of
                                    thing I have in mind -- schematic diagrams, sample tables and so on. I've put
                                    them there for comment, suggestions for improvement, and keep hoping that
                                    some programming fundi will help me to make them work, preferably before I
                                    die.

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Sep 10 6:58 PM
                                      Steve,

                                      I think I now see my confusion.

                                      I want a genealogical program to handle my lineage linked conclusions and my record event evidence. I assumed you would want the same. I think I was wrong. I think you want a lineage linked program to handle your person conclusions, and a separate, event-based program to hold your evidence. I simply want them together in the same program.

                                      Tom Wetmore