Re: Historical research database

  • ray_murphy aus
    Message 1 of 32 , Nov 29, 2009

      > On 28 Nov 2009 at 21:50, ray_murphy aus wrote:
      >
      > > --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hayes" <hayesstw@> wrote:

      [......]

      > I have got SOME sort of program started, which I use tio collect data.
      >
      > I've actually got several started, not as relational databases.
      >
      > One is a family event database, which I have entered in a flat-file text
      > database.
      >
      > This is the data structure (field list)
      >
      > Name of structure: EVENTS
      > Description line (optional): New Events structure
      > Record ID field(s): ID
      > Order key field(s): EVDATE
      >
      > Type LABEL NAME INDEX SORT EMPHASIS for each field
      > F/1 ID * T 2 1
      > F/2 ED EVDATE T 4 1
      > F/3 EP EVPLACE Y 9 1
      > F/4 EV EVENT Y 9 1
      > F/5 EN EVNOTE K 9 1
      > F/6 PE PEOPLE Y 9 1
      > F/7 SO SOURCE Y 9 1
      > F/8 DN DOCNUM Y 2 1
      > F/9 NO NOTES K 9 1
      > F/10 CO COMMENTS N
      > F/11 KE KEYWORDS K 9 1
      > F/12 UD UPDATE T 4 2
      >
      > Stop words: A AN AND BY FOR FROM IN OF ON THE TO WITH
      >
      > The disadvantage is that the PEOPLE field is a repeating field. There can be
      > many people associated with a single event, and there can be many events
      > associated with one person. [....]

      I've just made a very small, new, stand alone application for entering event data rapidly if you want to try it out to see if it could be knocked into shape somehow for genealogy.

      It will work on Win XP and later and requires a gedcom to be copied an re-named and placed on C Drive so it can read all the names to form a database.

      It writes only one file - a text file of the names and the events + dates that are entered. Nothing else at all goes on your PC. It's time-limited for 3 months so that old prototypes are not floating around for years and it's not for distribution. It displays a summary of all the categories (the ones in your Access program) and the number of people who are listed with each one.

      It also does a search for any category - either the built-in ones or any new ones that are added on the fly - then displays the names of each person who had it, plus the event and date.

      I was thinking it might be easier to make some more progress with your Event Database idea if we had something concrete to work with that anyone could use without using MSAccess.

      Even though there is potential with this, I still see a big gap between genealogy programs and a separate database.

      I can email it to you, but with many PC's not accepting exe programs, I'd have to change the extension from .exe to say .exm so it will go through - then ou change it back to make it work (which is easy).

      Ray
    • ray_murphy aus
      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 12, 2009
        --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "ray_murphy aus" <raymurph@...> wrote:

        > --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hayes" <hayesstw@> wrote:
        > >
        > > On 3 Dec 2009 at 19:11, ray_murphy aus wrote:
        > >
        > > > --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hayes" <hayesstw@> wrote:

        [....]

        > RM: I've already got that test VB program working and displaying all the required events, sources and people, but as it turned out, it didn't need MS Access or its complex linkage system at all.
        >
        > The user-interface being used would be the same under any system,
        > and irrespective of what was happening in the background with tables,
        > linkages or arrays.

        [....]

        [Update]

        A much better version of the VB program has been uploaded to the Files section of this group's website. It's called "GENEVENTS2"

        It can be used to store literally anything that one could ever imagine because users can add their own categories for Events, Facts or Relationships between people.

        Any date system can be used, but if full automatic sorting is required for print-outs, then we need to use the YYYY,MM,DD format. If however some dates are not in the correct format (and order in a printout) then they can be simply re-positioned by Copy/Paste in the print-out panel.

        If "Connected People" are required for event descriptions, then just click on their names and they will be automatically inserted.

        If Sources of information are required for events etc, then they simply need to be entered with the event.

        The program has a concise Help section in the Menu, so most questions will be answered there.

        This latest version should make it easy for anyone to create a database with a SUITABLE 5.5 Gedcom and start seeing future potential or current weaknesses with the system.