Re: Irreplaceable utilities and other matters

  • ray_murphy aus
    Message 1 of 32 , Nov 28, 2009

      > I'm reposting this, because I made a hash of it the first time. Apart from
      > anything else, I called Dennis Allsopp John Allsopp -- apologies, Dennis! And
      > there were several other errors.
      >
      > There's a fuller version, with pictures, links, etc, on my blog at:
      >
      > http://hayesgreene.wordpress.com/2009/11/26/370/
      >
      > Dennis Allsopp (Author of Genota and Genota Forms) was visiting Johannesburg, so I dropped in to see him and we had an interesting chat.
      >
      > Three topics relevant to the Genealogy Software Forum came up:
      >
      > 1. The need for an event-based database program for genealogists, historians,
      > biographers etc.
      >
      > 2. Dennis's own programs, Geneota and Genota Forms
      >
      > 3. Old utility programs for which there are no modern equivalents.
      >
      > As a result, I've uploaded a few of these old utilities to the website of the forum, in
      > the hope that they may inspire some enterprising hackers to reverse engineer
      > them for modern hardware and software.

      [.....]

      I'm trying to help out here by continuing the discussion - hoping that it will make your idea clearer for the rest of us.

      I spent several months (as an amateur programmer) making two different programs - one in MS Access and the other in Visual Basic, but they were nowhere near as complex as your idea sounds, even though both programs store literally any type of event, relationship (family, business, social etc), plus any characteristic or quality that one could ever imagine for any given person or entity, including animals.

      The reason those two programs are not complex like your idea sounds, is because they are not relational databases. The event data etc is simply selected from the program's listboxes and the dates are entered with the keyboard and both go onto the entity's file card.

      If the programs don't have suitable selections, then a user can just create new categories on the fly and they become part of the program - so those new categories don't have to be typed in repeatedly.

      I'd suggest after going this far with my own programs, that unless there is a clear demand for a certain type of data to be gathered, then just get SOME sort of program started, and see what is needed as real data is gradually entered. That's all I did - and I kept seeing new opportunities, problems and needs as I went along.

      From what I can gather from your comments about harvesting all sorts of data, it sounds like there could be a huge amount of 'orphan' material involved.

      Ray
    • ray_murphy aus
      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 12, 2009
        --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "ray_murphy aus" <raymurph@...> wrote:

        > --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hayes" <hayesstw@> wrote:
        > >
        > > On 3 Dec 2009 at 19:11, ray_murphy aus wrote:
        > >
        > > > --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hayes" <hayesstw@> wrote:

        [....]

        > RM: I've already got that test VB program working and displaying all the required events, sources and people, but as it turned out, it didn't need MS Access or its complex linkage system at all.
        >
        > The user-interface being used would be the same under any system,
        > and irrespective of what was happening in the background with tables,
        > linkages or arrays.

        [....]

        [Update]

        A much better version of the VB program has been uploaded to the Files section of this group's website. It's called "GENEVENTS2"

        It can be used to store literally anything that one could ever imagine because users can add their own categories for Events, Facts or Relationships between people.

        Any date system can be used, but if full automatic sorting is required for print-outs, then we need to use the YYYY,MM,DD format. If however some dates are not in the correct format (and order in a printout) then they can be simply re-positioned by Copy/Paste in the print-out panel.

        If "Connected People" are required for event descriptions, then just click on their names and they will be automatically inserted.

        If Sources of information are required for events etc, then they simply need to be entered with the event.

        The program has a concise Help section in the Menu, so most questions will be answered there.

        This latest version should make it easy for anyone to create a database with a SUITABLE 5.5 Gedcom and start seeing future potential or current weaknesses with the system.