Irreplaceable utilities and other matters

    Message 1 of 32 , Nov 25, 2009
      John Allsopp (Author of Genota and Genota Forms) was visiting Johannesburg,
      so I dropped in to see him and we had an interesting chat.

      Three topics relevant to the Genealogy Software Furum came up:

      1. The need for an event-based database program for genealogists, historians,
      biographers etc.

      2. John's own programs, Geneota and Genota Forms

      3. Old utility programs for which there are no modern equivalents.

      As a result, I've uploaded a few of these to the website of this forum, in
      the hope that they may inspire some enterprising hackers to reverse engineer
      them for modern hardware and software.

      There were wones called Nameview and Namedrop that scanned BBS messages for
      things like surnames of interest, and manipulated those messages to collect
      them. They worked with Fido Technology Networks, but no one seems to have
      written an equivalent that works with mailing lists, newsgroups, or web
      forums.

      There were utility that took data from genealogy programs (mainly PAF 2.x)
      and printed family grtoup sheets on 3x5 or 4x6 cards.

      That is FAR more useful than the stupid trick of software developers who
      tried to make a computer screen look like a card index, which had all the
      disadvantages and none of the advantages of the cards themselves.

      But those utilities were written in DOS, and modern printers don't work with
      DOS. So the utilities need to be rewritten to use modern programs and moder
      hardware.

      Tiny Tafel Genenrator -- which not only developed but matched Tiny Tafels.
      Trouble is, it was written in Turbo Pascal, which doesn't work on fast
      machines. You need a slow processor for it to run, under 500 Mhz, I think.

      There are a few more there -- back in the old days we may have had less tyhan
      we do now, but very often we could do more with the less we had.

      So have a look at them, and see if you can reverse engineer them to produce
      new versions.

      Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com
    • ray_murphy aus
      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 12, 2009
        --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "ray_murphy aus" <raymurph@...> wrote:

        > --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hayes" <hayesstw@> wrote:
        > >
        > > On 3 Dec 2009 at 19:11, ray_murphy aus wrote:
        > >
        > > > --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hayes" <hayesstw@> wrote:

        [....]

        > RM: I've already got that test VB program working and displaying all the required events, sources and people, but as it turned out, it didn't need MS Access or its complex linkage system at all.
        >
        > The user-interface being used would be the same under any system,
        > and irrespective of what was happening in the background with tables,
        > linkages or arrays.

        [....]

        [Update]

        A much better version of the VB program has been uploaded to the Files section of this group's website. It's called "GENEVENTS2"

        It can be used to store literally anything that one could ever imagine because users can add their own categories for Events, Facts or Relationships between people.

        Any date system can be used, but if full automatic sorting is required for print-outs, then we need to use the YYYY,MM,DD format. If however some dates are not in the correct format (and order in a printout) then they can be simply re-positioned by Copy/Paste in the print-out panel.

        If "Connected People" are required for event descriptions, then just click on their names and they will be automatically inserted.

        If Sources of information are required for events etc, then they simply need to be entered with the event.

        The program has a concise Help section in the Menu, so most questions will be answered there.

        This latest version should make it easy for anyone to create a database with a SUITABLE 5.5 Gedcom and start seeing future potential or current weaknesses with the system.