(fwd) Re: Chronology software/database?

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 23, 2009
      On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 11:05:20 -0400, in soc.history.moderated Steve Hayes
      <hayesmstw@...> wrote:

      On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 17:01:41 -0400, Marvin <physchem@...> wrote:

      >phuile wrote:
      >> I am looking for a chronology software that allows me to input dates
      >> and notes on historical events and can store these data and display it
      >> in a timeline or similar ways. The graphical display is not as
      >> important as the fact that I can insert dates and events randomly and
      >> the software/database would store them and display them in a
      >> chronological sequence. Search function is important too. I would also
      >> need to be able to say, search for a period and see what events are
      >> around that period.
      >> Does anyone know of anything like this? I know of several "timeline"
      >> programs but they are too graphically and not as much a notes-link-to-
      >> database type of tool I need.
      >> Thanks for any advice.
      >>
      >I think it could be done with a spreadsheet, and a graphics
      >program if the graphing capability of the spreadsheet
      >software isn't adequate.

      It can be done, provided one remembers to enter dates in a TEXT field (and not
      as dates), in the format yyyy-mm-dd.

      That means that if the month and day are not known, on can enter 1347-00-00,
      for example, and it will still sort correctly.

      Most spreadsheets cannot correctly handle dates in the date field for more
      than a centurry ago, and they have problems with dates like c1500.

      I have revived discussion of this in the genealogy software discussion forum
      at:

      Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
      Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com