Taking things in order?

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2006
      Well, there is plenty of discussion going on!

      As one who only dips his toe into software from necessity (not from
      any other point of view) there is probably a need here to spell a few
      things out for us ammachewers. For example, does web hosting take in
      such existing software as phpGedView (PGV) and The Next Generation
      (TNG)? If so, is anyone already using this stuff (I use PGV) and are
      there things about that line of development worthy of discussion?

      But even before we get to that, there has been a post or two about the
      GEDCOM standard. AFAIK, 5.5 is the presently supported version, v6 was
      put out for comment as a XML (??) formatted document - which confers
      some benefits, but triples the size of any GEDCOM file. So - maybe we
      need to keep a close eye on what LDS are doing with that, or even get
      involved ourselves? After all, if the foundations are suspect, then
      anything else we dream about is going nowhere fast, or is based on the
      wrong premise.

      Views? I personally would hate the thought of getting bogged down in
      developing GEDCOM standards, but I'm also a firm believer in first
      principles.

      Paul / Canberra / Australia