New poll for gensoft

  • gensoft@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 16 12:27 AM
      gensoft group:

      What general database software to you use for your genealogy-related research or data, notes etc., or for developing applications.

      o MS Access
      o Open Office Base
      o MySql
      o AskSam
      o Paradox
      o Other

      web site listed above.

      Thanks!
    • Leif B. Kristensen
      Message 2 of 5 , May 16 12:44 AM
        On Saturday 16. May 2009, gensoft@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        >What general database software to you use for your genealogy-related
        > research or data, notes etc., or for developing applications.
        >
        > o MS Access
        > o Open Office Base
        > o MySql
        > o AskSam
        > o Paradox
        > o Other

        Where is PostgreSQL?
        Me And My Database: http://solumslekt.org/blog/
        Message 3 of 5 , May 16 3:35 AM
          On 16 May 2009 at 9:44, Leif B. Kristensen wrote:

          > On Saturday 16. May 2009, gensoft@yahoogroups.com wrote:
          >
          > >What general database software to you use for your genealogy-related
          > > research or data, notes etc., or for developing applications.
          > >
          > > o MS Access
          > > o Open Office Base
          > > o MySql
          > > o AskSam
          > > o Paradox
          > > o Other
          >
          > Where is PostgreSQL?

          I never heard of it -- but perhaps you could write soemthing about it and
          tell us what you do with it!

          http://people.tribe.net/hayesstw
          Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com
          Phone: 083-342-3563 or 012-333-6727
        • Leif B. Kristensen
          Message 4 of 5 , May 16 4:01 AM
            On Saturday 16. May 2009, Steve Hayes wrote:
            >On 16 May 2009 at 9:44, Leif B. Kristensen wrote:
            >> On Saturday 16. May 2009, gensoft@yahoogroups.com wrote:
            >> >What general database software to you use for your
            >> > genealogy-related research or data, notes etc., or for developing
            >> > applications.
            >> >
            >> > o MS Access
            >> > o Open Office Base
            >> > o MySql
            >> > o AskSam
            >> > o Paradox
            >> > o Other
            >>
            >> Where is PostgreSQL?
            >
            >I never heard of it -- but perhaps you could write soemthing about it
            > and tell us what you do with it!

            PostgreSQL (http://www.postgresql.org) is a very advanced open source
            RDBMS, in the same league as commercial alternatives like Oracle, DB/2
            or MSSQL. It's BSD licensed, which means that you can do absolutely
            whatever you want with it, no strings attached. And it's totally rock
            solid.

            I've written three articles about the migration from The Master
            Genealogist to my own home-stitched application:

            http://solumslekt.org/forays/tmg.php
            http://solumslekt.org/forays/blue.php
            http://solumslekt.org/forays/exodus.php

            There's also an «executive overview» at this page:

            http://solumslekt.org/note_en.php

            In my blog http://solumslekt.org/blog/ I try to describe the development
            in some detail.
            Me And My Database: http://solumslekt.org/blog/
            Message 5 of 5 , May 16 12:19 PM
              On 16 May 2009 at 13:01, Leif B. Kristensen wrote:

              > On Saturday 16. May 2009, Steve Hayes wrote:
              > >On 16 May 2009 at 9:44, Leif B. Kristensen wrote:

              > >> Where is PostgreSQL?
              > >
              > >I never heard of it -- but perhaps you could write soemthing about it
              > > and tell us what you do with it!
              >
              > PostgreSQL (http://www.postgresql.org) is a very advanced open source
              > RDBMS, in the same league as commercial alternatives like Oracle, DB/2
              > or MSSQL. It's BSD licensed, which means that you can do absolutely
              > whatever you want with it, no strings attached. And it's totally rock
              > solid.
              >
              > I've written three articles about the migration from The Master
              > Genealogist to my own home-stitched application:
              >
              > http://solumslekt.org/forays/tmg.php
              > http://solumslekt.org/forays/blue.php
              > http://solumslekt.org/forays/exodus.php
              >
              > There's also an «executive overview» at this page:
              >
              > http://solumslekt.org/note_en.php
              >
              > In my blog http://solumslekt.org/blog/ I try to describe the development in
              > some detail. -- Leif Biberg Kristensen | Registered Linux User #338009 Me And
              > My Database: http://solumslekt.org/blog/

              Thanks very much -- it sounds very interesting, and your articles are very
              good -- thanks for that.

              When I've studied them in more detail I might come back to you with a few
              questions.