Web-based gen software solutions?

  • Chris Staats
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 8, 2007
      Hello all -

      Just a brief introduction - I have been doing genealogy now for close to 10 years and have worked with a few different softwares in that time. I used PAF briefly when I first started out, but quickly switched to Sierra's Generations, which I used for many years. When I started researching in earnest again last year, I switched to Legacy and have been pretty happy with it. However, none of the programs I have tried, including web-based apps such as phpgedview, have produced web pages that I have liked, but more importantly, that were at all easy to keep updated. While I liked the idea of phpgedview, I found it difficult to enter info into, and if you are stuck in a courthouse or genealogical library without an internet connection, you have to go through the hassle of exporting everything to gedcom and then importing it into another program before you leave.

      For me the ideal genealogy software would run locally, but synchronize with a web-based, main database (preferably hosted on my own web server). Wouldn't it be great to take your laptop on a research trip, enter a bunch of new information, and have that information uploaded as soon as you had an active internet connection? Or if you forgot to copy the latest version of your database to your laptop before you left, to have the ability to synchronize whenever you open the software? ...not to to mention the benefit of having your PHP, ASP, or whatever-based website updated automatically with your database. This way it wouldn't matter whether you entered stuff at your home PC, laptop, work PC (not that any of us would ever do that!) - as long as there was an internet connection, it would be able to automatically, or at least be prompted for,  synchronization.

      Am I living in a dream world? Does anyone know whether anything like this is in development, or is this just something that is not commercially viable?

      Regards,

      Chris Staats

    • Daniel P. Kionka
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 8, 2007
        Chris Staats wrote:
        > For me the ideal genealogy software would run locally, but synchronize
        > with a web-based, main database (preferably hosted on my own web
        > server). Wouldn't it be great to take your laptop on a research trip,
        > enter a bunch of new information, and have that information uploaded as
        > soon as you had an active internet connection? ...

        Synchronizing with a web-based database was one of my goals with GDBI.
        It is a gedcom editor that updates PhpGedView data through its CGI
        interface. It has an option to save a local copy of PGV records. I
        never implemented synchronization of local edits, though. I have not
        worked on it for a while, but it would be a good starting point. See
        http://gdbi.sourceforge.net/